South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Well, I had no idea there was such a place!!! I'm thrilled.

I go on my cruise on Aug. 14th and I have a alot of weight to lose but I need to lose something before I go on this cruise. Last year I lost 16 lbs before cruising and only gained back 7...not bad but then I just went over board (no pun intended :D) Gained all my weight back. :(

After the 4th I'm planning on doing SB again. Loved the diet, easy to follow.

It was especially encouraging to see someone lose 30 lbs on this diet in 5 wks!!! WOW.

Look forward to this board and what it has to offer.

Diane

Hi...have been doing meal time Atkins for about 6-7 months...first couple of months did it without cheating, seemed to fall into a mental block once I reached a desirable weight. Ate Atkins meals, but cheated in evenings or when going out to dinner. Did mangage to maintain my weight loss. Came back from a 12 night cruise 8 lb heavier (OMG!!)... shook off first 3 lbs immediately...can't budge the other 5 lb. Think it's time to change diet plan. I borrowed and read the SB a few months back. Have the basic's... Low carb, good carb's ok.. (whole grains...steel ground oatmeal, low GI veggies etc.)and low fat cheeses and dairy... but can't rememeber what the first stage is.. can anyone give me a quick rundown of those first few weeks???

My husband and I have been on the SB diet since Easter. I have lost 30 lbs. and he has lost 20. I was a bad sweet-a-holic and now I seem to be able to do without the sweets. We basically changed our eating habits and it is working great for us. We are on the Zuiderdam 7/17 so we wanted to shed a "few pounds" to get ready for all of the great food. I am looking forward to making the cookies!!!

Hi Dondiane,

Here's the scoop on Phase I:

BREAKFAST

Protein: Quantity is not limited

Vegetables: Minimum 1/2 cup.

Fruit: None

Starch: None

Milk/Dairy: 2 cups allowed daily (including yogurt)

Fat: 1 tsp mayonnaise or oil (optional)

MORNING SNACK

Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

LUNCH

Protein: Quantity is not limited.

Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups.

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

AFTERNOON SNACK

Snacks are required. Choose a protein, vegetable, fat-free plain yogurt, or nuts/seeds.

DINNER

Protein: Quantity is not limited.

Vegetables: Minimum 2 cups

Fat: 1 Tbsp mayonnaise or oil

DESSERT (Limit to 75 calories per day)

Candies, hard, sugar-free

Chocolate powder, no-added-sugar

Cocoa powder, baking type

Fudgsicles, no sugar added

Gelatin, sugar-free

Gum, sugar-free

Popsicles, sugar-free

Some Sugar Free Products may be made with sugar alcohols (isomalt, lactitol, mannitol, sorbitol or xylitol) and are permitted on the SBD. They may have associated side effects of GI distress (abdominal pain, diarrhea & gas) if consumed in excessive amounts.

BEVERAGES

Diet, decaffeinated, sugar-free drinks are not limited. You can enjoy caffeinated coffee or diet sodas with caffeine added, but limit to 1 - 2 servings per day.

Hope this helps!

Jenny :)

Hi All,

I'm struggling to come up with some good picnic ideas for the 4th. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks!

I have a couple of suggestions and the first one is for phase 1 even. Everlasting slaw- In a pot add 1/2 cup splenda, 1/2 cup vinegar (whatever you like but rice wine and cider are great), 1 cup water and 1 Tablespoon of cheap yellow mustard. Whisk to combine and heat until boiling. Remove from heat and cool. Chop a head of cabbage finely and toss it with the cooled dressing. The recipe calls for 1/2 cup of green or red peppers but I don't do them. It supposedly lasts for up to 3 weeks in the fridge but it never lasts that long around here. ;) It's also great for picnics because it's mayo free.

A second salad that I make all the time, especially for summer is great for phase 2. Jicama salad- You need 1 ripe mango, 1 cucumber, and one medium to large jicama and a lime or two. Cut the mango, cucumber, and peeled jicama into uniform sized pieces (I matchstick mine.) Toss together in a bowl with the juice of 1-2 limes. This can be dusted with chili powder too.

The jicama salad is great with fish tacos. We just steam or broil whatever fish happens to be in the freezer or was leftover. Shred it, put it in low carb tortillas with the salad and a sauce made with sour cream, lime zest and lime juice. Very refreshing when it's 90 with 100% humidity. :D

Tami

You're welcome, though frankly I'm more chemist than cook. I use recipes for baking but everything else I tend to get creative with.

Speaking of recipes, another board I belong to is having a recipe contest for low carb Indian food. They'll be posting all the recipes sent in on their list. I'm not sure if they're posting as they get them or at the end of the contest which is Aug. 10. Anyway you can check it out at http://www.cuisinecuisine.com if you're interested in Indian food. I'm all about it but I've learned to cook alot of it because my oldest daughter is Indian by birth. :D

Tami

Thanks Tami for the link. I'll definitely check it out. I've actually only eaten Indian food once and it was very hot. For some reason, my mouth doesn't like hot, hot food. I LOVE Mexican food, but can't eat the hot stuff. :(

Hi All,

I just wanted to report that my DH just got his lab results back from his physical last week.

Last year, his total cholesterol was at 284. Today it's at 118! I attribute most of this to our new SB WOE! He's also wearing clothes that he hasn't in several years (he's lost 32 lbs over the last 5 1/2 weeks), and feeling pretty darn good about things!

One of the reasons we decided to try SB was how healthy it is - and now we have proof!

This isn't a diet to us, it's a new way of life. Even if I never loose another pound (which will not be the case), I'm happy just knowing how healthy we're getting!

Just wanted to share our happy news!

Hi everyone! It's been a few weeks since I've posted. I finished my 4th week on SB and have lost 21 lbs! I am very pleased with the results. This eating life-style is definately for me!!! I really enjoy reading the threads and appreciate all of the good recipes!!! Yum... I was really worried about transitioning from Phase I to Phase II, but found it a refreshing change. My temptations for sweets/deserts/chips etc are completely gone and I haven't once strayed from my new lifestyle! If any of you are reading this and considering the SBD... give it a try. It's well worth the results!

Shelia,

One of the great things about making Indian food at home is that you can control the ammount of heat so that you can actually taste the other spices. I use mild green chilis because DH and youngest DD don't do spice and then the rest of us add our own heat.

Jenni- Tell your husband WAY TO GO! That's an amazing drop in cholesterol.

Tami

Ugh! WE had a big party and even though I made a low carb cheesecake (which was fabulous!) I still ate the brownie trifle and other junk I shouldn't have. :mad: Today I haven't eaten breakfast yet because my stomach is cranky. Serves me right! :(

Anyway, back to it. My husband and I are going to Cedar Point at the end of the month for our anniversary and I'm hoping to break below 200 before then. I did just have 7 pounds to go but after yesterday I have 12! :eek: I didn't eat THAT much! How did I gain 5 pounds overnight????????????? AAAHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!

Tami

Tami,

I just wanted to thank you again for your recipes! I made the cabbage slaw for our picnic and got rave reviews!

Also tried the gooey chocolate peanut butter cookies - very yummy too!

Hope everyone had a good 4th!

DH and I were down a couple of pounds yesterday morning, but went out to lunch (thought we stuck to the diet) and were up 1 1/2 lbs today. Hmph!

No worries - I'm sure we'll be down overall for the week when we weigh in next Monday.

:)

Here's my situation, I would like some opinions please. I have been on A for 13 months, have lost and maintained 80 pounds w/o plateaus and have done 43 sea days during this. On cruises I eat what I want, usually gain 10 to 12 pounds, go back on incuction and it's gone in 10 days or so. Since April/May I have hit a brick wall. Have lost only 3/4 pounds. Exercise not option due to physical problems, I already do what I can. So I've tried induction, refeed, starvation! Nothing. I think one problem is that this is a weight I have been at previously for quite a while so maybe my body likes this weight (bmi is 36.5 so it's not where I need to be!)? I still need to lose 55 pounds and I'm wondering if SB would help, you know a new start?

But I'm terrified of gaining. I know I would not get a loss at first like most people do because I've been on A. Has anyone transitioned and how long did it take to start losing? Did you gain? Also has anyone tried ediets? Or SB online? I'm looking for something, anything, to help!

Gail

Has anyone tried the Strawberry Buttermilk Ice recipe? We made it using our icecream maker the other night and it's just wonderful!

Serves 2

1/2 cup sugar substitute

1/2 cup water

1 1/4 cups quartered strawberries (about 1 1/2 cups whole berries)

1/2 cup buttermilk

Instructions

In a large bowl, combine the sugar substitute and water. In a blender or food processor, blend the strawberries until smooth. Add the strawberries and buttermilk to the sugar substitute mixture and stir until well-combined. Pour into a freezer-safe container. Freeze overnight. Remove from the freezer 30 minutes before serving.

Wow, this group has been quiet! I'm hanging in there and trying to lose the same 5 pounds I lost last week. one more to go to accomplish that. I have a kids' birthday party this weekend but should be ok as long as I take my own snack. I'm still really trying to break below 200 before I leave on the 22nd for Cedar Point. Not sure I'm going to make it since it's 8 pounds. :mad:

It's frustrating because if I had kept of the pace I had in January through April I'd be in the 170's by now. I thought winter was supposed to be the hard time of year to lose weight.

Tami

Good luck with reaching your 200 goal! Weekends (and parties) do seem to make things more difficult don't they?

I had a 2 lb loss over the last week. Not too bad given we had a couple extra glasses of wine and 2 or 3 carb servings each day rather than trying to stick to 1 or 2... I'm hoping to keep it to no less than 2 lbs a week now that we're on phase II. We'll see how it goes!

Have a nice weekend everyone!

I sat down and wrote out goals and dates for myself tonight, just 8-10 pounds a month depending on how many fridays there are in a month would put me at goal weight of 150 by the end of January. Now I just have to get in and do the work! :eek:

Tami

Archived