South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Tami...good luck with reaching your goals.

I have been having a tough time breaking my plateau, but I am really happy this morning. After being a stay-the-samer at Thursday's weigh-in, I am down 1 lb. Finally!!:rolleyes:

I have 6 days to my cruise and 6 lbs to my cruise goal and final goal. I know that I won't make cruise goal by then, but I hope to be a little closer.

Unfortunately, Sunday and Monday, I have birthday parties to go to. I am going to try to employ a little self-control, but I am worried about me since I don't seem to have any.:eek:

Have a good weekend everyone and keep drinking that water!

Rose

Thanks Rose,

I'm very determined to make this happen. We want to "have" another baby next year and I want my weight to be under control so I have the energy to do all the newborn stuff again. :D Our friend had a baby on Thursday, 2 more are pregnant and another is trying so right now I'm dying to get started on that paperwork!

Have fun on your cruise!

Tami

Hi gang,

After 2 weeks on the South Beach, I am down 10 pounds and my wife 6 pounds. She went into phase 2 this week, but I decided to hang with phase 1 for one more week. We will see how that goes.

I bought some rye crisps (?) last night which have 110 calories, with 10 Fat calories, no sugar. Is this something that we can eat? Also, I am not real clear on what I should be looking for on the label. Are we concerned with sugar content, fat content, or "fat calories"?

Thanks for some guidance.

Jeff

Sorry JEff,

I'm working between atkins and SB so I'm not really sure how to answer that. In my world I look at the total carbs minus the fiber. I also look for added sugar, especially in the form of corn syrup due to a daughter's food allergies. In my understanding of south beach you want things as unprocessed as possible so the more fiber a grain has the better. Although if you're in induction there are no grains.

As far as the fat is concerned SB does place more emphasis on lower fat but also better fats such as olive oil and canola. also you're supposed to avoid trans fats and saturated fats.

I'd look up rye in my good cabs bad carbs book but it seems to have walked off. I have this mysterious thing going on at our house because my 4, 6, and 8 year old swear that they don't touch things and yet they dissappear :eek: . Guess they must be sprouting limbs. Ahhh Evolution at it's finest. :D

Tami

Tomorrow may be hard for eating because it's my oldest daughter's Gotcha day. 8 year ago today I boarded a plane to LA to go meet her for the first time. I was so excited the next morning that I got up at dawn and went for a run on the streets of LA. She was a little zombie when I met her at customs because in addition to a 24 hour flight she'd been delayed in Bankok for a day because of the Hurricaine which was hitting NYC, where they had been supposed to fly into. Of course the first thing I did was get the two of us whopped by an elevator door. She stuck out her little bottom lip and gave me this look like "oh no! They stuck me with this stupid pale lady! " and then she screamed! Poor thing! No wonder she's a Daddy's girl.

Anyway, she has an art class tomorrow and I promised her that we'd go eat Indian food. I love Indian food so I'm going to have to study some of my recipes tonight to figure out what is lower carb in the buffet. Could be scary.

Tami

Thanks! We were snuggling on the couch this afternoon while the others were napping and I told her how excited I was 8 years ago when I was flying out to LA. Tomorrow we'll probaby break out the video of her orphanage, her arrival and one on Mother Theresa that I have that shows Calcutta. i'll probably have to watch it from the exercise bicycle though after the Indian restaurant! :p

Here's a very diet friendly soup of chickpeas, tomatoes, and celery that I have planned for dinner tomorrow night to help recover from taking carina out for Indian food for her Gotcha day. . :rolleyes: It's totally Southbeach friendly.

The soup is 1 can of chickpeas or other beans, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 cup of celery diced, 1 onion diced, 1 Tbls, of cheap yellow mustard, 1 TBLS of pickle relish (yes, really), 1 Cup of water, 1/8 tsp black pepper, 2 T of brown sugar, and up to 1/4 cup of splenda to taste. You just dump everything in a crock pot and let it go. I either substitute sugar twin brown sugar for the regular or I'll stir in a TBLS of molassas and just leave out the brown sugar. Serves 4

I always have to make a double recipe because my son will eat 3 bowls. HE's 6 and I think he has a hollow leg! But, even my picky child eats this soup.

Tami

My wife and I just started the SBD this weekend. It's hard for me to eat all that they suggest on the first two weeks menu. I have to loose 35 lbs and my wife has to loose, well, I can't tell or she'd kill me. The diet looks do-able. We were using menus out of the SugarBusters book and like these better.

I remember 3 weeks ago thinking there is no way that I can follow this diet, but it is amazing how easy it is. Although I have always been a meat and potatoes(and bread) person, I have found that I haven't missed my potatoes or eating sandwiches. At the 3rd week weighin yesterday, I had dropped another 4 pounds for a total of 14, while my wife dropped 1 to bring her to a total of 7 pounds. Heading in the right direction. Short term goal of breaking below 250 is only 3 pounds away for me now, haven't see that level in the past 10 years.

Jeff

Way to go Jeff. Keep it up.

It's not that I don't like fish, I just rebel against eating it for some reason. Give me a Rib-eye cooked medium and I'm happy.

I used our George Foreman Grill and cooked some salmon filets that I sprinkled some Louisiana spice rub on and it turned out wonderful.

I'm happy so say that I've lost 2 lbs since starting the diet.

I have lost about 34 lbs in the last 7 weeks, but still have more than 150 lbs to go to my "ideal" weight. It's a VERY long way away, but I've finally figured out that it's more important to me to be healthy than it is to eat rich, fattening food whenever I feel like it. I guess I've finally grown up! :)

My DH and I started doing South Beach (due, in large part, to reading these boards!) and have truly embraced our new WOE. I do not set any goals for myself, as this is just how we live now. If I thought about needing to lose as much as I do as a goal, I'd probably never make it. If I make it to goal (at a pound a week, that's in about 3.5 years from now), that's awesome, but what's most important to me is our health. I'm diabetic with high blood pressure, but the diabetes is under control now, as is the blood pressure. I guess my "goal" right now is to lose enough to be able to stop taking medications (think of all the monthly savings I can put towards cruising with that!).

Thank you all for the inspiration and to the support you give. Good luck to all - and keep at it!

Just got back from the bookstore with the SBD and a companion book of carb counts etc. Have read it through, and am pre-diet excited!!! This actually looks workable, although I find myself a little daunted with no bread to " rest" lunch on..... have to start thinking out of the box for this one!!! I have read all the posts here, and am so hopeful that I too can do this. Thanks for your stories. Our cruise is Feb 7, 30 weeks from yesterday. I figure 45 pounds is realistic, but hope for 60 which would have me in absolutely great shape for the pool. Seems to be the consensus here that more excercise would be helpful to achieve a larger loss.....not surprising is it??!! I will report periodically....wish me luck, or more to the point, wish me determination!!

Jenny....DH and I feel exactly like you do. We have been on SBD since November and say that this is the way we will eat forever. DH lost 30 lbs and reached his goal. I have lost 18 with another 7 to my goal. We have decided that to stay healthy and maintain the weight loss, we don't look at this as a temporary diet but our permanent WOE.

We sometimes like to give ourselves little treats with the agreement that we will not pig out and it is just an exception and not the norm.

Good luck with your weight loss.

Rose

Hi Muffin! The book really is inspiring! For DH and I, the first week was tough, but the 2nd week went so well that we extended Phase I for a 3rd week. We still try to only add carbs once a day (sometimes more, depending on how careful I am with the menu planning :)). I wish you much luck!

Rose, thank you so much for your thoughts. How are you doing with having your DH at goal with you still on Phase II? My DH and I have been talking about this and wonder if it will be difficult, as he only has another 40 lbs to go vs. my 160...

Jenny...I don't have a problem with it. I just fix a slightly different breakfast and lunch for my DH and then we have the same dinner. He has larger portions than I do anyway, so he is usually satisfied. I have actually stayed pretty much in Phase I all of this time with the exception that I sometimes eat Uncle Sam's cereal for breakfast. Men always lose so much faster than women, it doesn't seem fair:D

Rose

This is great. My husband son and I started SB 2.5 weeks ago. My husband and son have lost about 8lbs I have lost only 5. I have to lose about 25-30 they have more to lose. I love the diet we are eating healthy and I don't really miss the bread and pasta. I find I have to plan ahead more which is making me more organized. I work long hours and we had gotten into the take-out trap and that really put the pounds on. The cauliflower mashed is great and I make the quiches on the weekend so we have them all week. The support here is great.

StellaRN

JennyT,

We,re all rooting for you. We know you can do it. I like your attitude about concentrating on loosing the weight and not setting youself up for a trap by trying to maintain a goal. It's sorta like the old saying, "Life is a journey not a destination." Enjoy you trip.

Hey everybody! This board sure has been busy while I was away. Bad news...I gained 5 more lbs on my 2nd vacation (non-cruise). Good news..well sort of...I had a migraine for 3 days and couldn't eat anything one day due to not being able to keep anything down. So, I lost the 5 lbs that I gained. Now I'm back to my post-cruise weight.

DH and I started back on Phase 1 on Monday and hope to get the weight we gained on our cruise off and then a few more lbs. DH loses so much more quickly than I do so he'll be at his goal again soon. I, on the other hand, have 14 more lbs to reach my goal.

All of you seem to have been doing so well! I'm very proud of you! :D

Welcome back Shelia! I have to say that I'm think I could have found better ways to get rid of that 5 pounds than a migraine! :p I've only ever had one once but my sister gets them all the time! They SUCK! I've permantly banned myself from tanning beds because it's an experience I never want to repeat.

I'm happy because I managed to take Carina out for her Gotcha day meal at the Indian buffet and I DID NOT GAIN WEIGHT!!!!!! :D Ok, I didnt' lose any either but I'm just so happy that I didn't gain. I couldn't get in my cardio yesterday due to the storms all around us so I figured I'd gain. I did do yoga but I seriously doubt that was enough to do much.

Tami

I was bad yesterday. :eek: We went to a fair so I planned a cheat and had a fried milkyway, or at least part of one. I couldn't eat it all and the sugar buzz gave me a killer headache. I didn't gain weight though. Was it worth it? Yes, it was because if I had passed it up I'd have been craving it and eating everything else in sight to compensate.

Tami

Tami, it sounds like you are doing great! :) What exactly is a "Gotcha Day?" I've never heard that one before. ;)

Well, I'm heading to the fridge for a Ricotta Creme. :D

Shelia,

Since all our kids are adopted they have 2 important days in their lives. One is their birthday and the other is their Gotcha day, or the day that we got them. In Jacob's case his is only 2 days after his birthday, Delaney's is 7 weeks after hers and Carina's is 6 1/2 months. We try to do something special like go out to dinner or just spend time as a family. Technically Carina as two Gotcha's because I flew to LA to get her on the 13th but the rest of the family got her on the 14th. Since no one else in the family really LOVES indian food like Carina and I we do a mom and daughter trip to the restaurant on the 13th whenever possible.

Tami

Tami, what a wonderful idea, Gotcha Day. Makes sense now. LOL

You ate a fried Milky Way? I have never heard of frying them. I bet they are GOOD! Milky Way just happens to be my favorite candy bar. Oh my! :eek:

Shelia, I'm not sure I would reccommend trying a fried milkyway if it's already your favorite candy bar. :p I'd hate to start an addiction. They actually dip them in funnel cake dough and then fry them. The one I'll never try is Reeces Cups. I've never seen it done but they fry everything else at the fair now including dill pickles and twinkies. :eek: To me that's a waste of dill pickles. I don't like twinkies so that's no worry. Reece's cups could be an issue though!

Now I'm trying to get my act together. Other than yesterday I've been eating ok but I'm really slacking in the exercise department. It's been so cruddy outside that I'm having a hard time getting in the pool. Of course I have an elliptical machine and a recumbant bike and 20 exercise videos but do I use them. NO! :mad: I did make myself walk laps today until I got my 10,000 steps in but I've got to get back to lifting weights or doing pilates 3x a week. I can tell the difference in how stiff I'm getting.

Tami

Apparently I need to get on and grouse every day about my lack of progress because I finally lost a pound :D Only 57 more to go! I'm determined to get this done by February too because we are sending in paperwork for a new baby after Christmas. When he comes there'll be tons of pictures and I'll be alot of them. I want to be happy with the way they come out.

Tami

Archived