South Beach Dieters Group Meet Here!

WeirdEyes

Hello all,

After one week on the SB diet, I'm happy to report that I've lost 4 1/2 pounds and my wife has lost 4. I'm hoping to lose an average of 2 lbs a week so I'm ahead of the game. Is 2 lbs a week doable?

Help! I've fallen in a pit and I can't get out! :eek: I hosted a baby shower on Friday and ate and ate all kinds of junk....I was SO bad! I was VERY good the rest of the weekend though. I stepped on the scales this AM and gained 2 lbs! What is wrong with me? How can eating one BAD meal make you gain 2 lbs? Hopefully, it is just water. I'm back on Phase 1 strong and will stay on it until I lose 5 lbs. Then on to Phase 2 where I will need to lose 10 more lbs to reach my goal. My goal is to be down to 140 by my 40th in Oct. Thank goodness it is close to the end of October! ;)

Tami, congrats on applying for a new baby. Where is this one coming from and do you know the sex? I'm so happy for you! That will be, what, #4? Good luck with the adoption process and getting that weight off! :)

Wonderlust, congrats on your weight loss! You are doing sooooo well! :D I'm soooo jealous!

Shelia,

Yes, this will be number 4 and yes, it's possible that I'm crazy, but not 21 kids crazy. :rolleyes: Four is my limit. We're planning to use the same minority infant program we used for the younger two so the baby will probably be from Texas. That's what we're hoping anyway. We've been promising Jacob that we'd visit Texas next year so the plan is to throw everyone in the van and drive down to get the baby. We'll need to spend a week there waiting for all the paperwork to go through Interstate Compact so that will give us time to visit.

John, Jacob (6) and I are pulling for a boy. Delaney (4) wants a sister and Carina (8) wants a pony. :D It will probably be a boy though because they have a harder time placing boys, especially AA ones. I expect it to go pretty quickly once we get the paperwork in. Their website is saying 1-6 months.

Tami, that is soooo cool! I respect you very much for such generosity and I'm sure you get just as much pleasure out of those kids and they do you and your DH. Good luck and I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get a boy. :)

Thanks Shelia,

I can't wait. When Delaney was a baby I had 2 surgeries withing 10 months that kept me from even picking her up for 12 weeks at a time. The last one I had an open wound for about 4 months so I couldn't hardly even hold her on my lap. Then we had the whole food allergy drama and trying to get her correctly diagnosed. I feel like I missed out so much on her babyhood. I'm really going to savor this one. I think I'm even going to try to nurse.

Well, i'm off for a couple of days to Cedar point. Wish me luck that all the walking counteracts any junk food I end up eating. :rolleyes:

Tami

Shelia,

How are you doing back on Phase I? I'm thinking about going back there for a couple of weeks. I'm still losing, but at a rate of about 0.8 lb a week. I was hoping to do a bit better than that before our cruise October.

Tami - reading about your kids and gotcha days (what a wonderful way to celebrate!) brings joy to my heart. I've loved being a mom (my baby will be 22 in September, so it's been awhile since I've had little ones around). How wonderful that you're "expecting" again!

Thanks Jenny and Shelia!

We're back from Cedar Point. I'm up 2.5 which is probably fluid from riding in the car 5 hours. We're camping this weekend so I've packed 99% diet friendly food and limited myself to 1 smore per day.

I'm hoping to get a move on becaue now I have 4 pounds to lose to meet my goal on 7/30 :mad: Hope I get it done. I'm doing phase 1 again starting monday.

Off to mow and pack.

Tami

Jenny, I finished Phase 1 again and I lost only 3 lbs! :mad: I started Phase 2 on Friday. My cruise is not until May, 2005 so I have a while to get ready. However, I wanted to be down to 140 on my 40th b'day, which means I have to lose about 1.5 to 2 lbs per week. :eek: At the slow rate I lose, that will probably NOT happen. I'm not giving up though. I started by exercising this past Monday and I'm starting to see that my stomach is going down a bit....that has always been my worst body part! Yuck! From all of the exercise, my legs are looking pretty darn good. ;)

Tami, glad you had a fun trip. Don't worry about 2 measly pounds....they'll come off easy. :D

We just got back. Brr! I can't believe it was 95 on Thursday and now it's 62! It was nice weather for camping though. I'm not sure how I did weight wise this weekend. I had a couple of off diet things but also walked 17,000 steps each day. (I took the pedometer andeach trip to the bathroom was 1000 steps! :D With 3 kids to take I was able to really rack them up.) Hopefully I'll have good news in the morning. Right now I'm in need of a shower and a nap.

Tami

Tami, I bet you are tired! Enjoy that nap!

It is in the mid-90's here in Alabama. I'm praying for some cooler weather and rain. My water bill is going to be outrageous with all of the watering of the lawn. :eek: We talked to our friends from Scotland yesterday and it was 38 degrees there! Wow!!! How can it be THAT cold in July?

Hi, started the SB 11 days ago - I have lost 10 pounds exactly and DH has lost 16 - we are serious as we cruise on 8/15 Elation. Neither of us are very tall so every pound shows! We are walking at least 40 min when we can and not cheating at all.

I love it and have no problem following so far because the results are so great but I know when I stall it will be difficult.

Does anyone know about Sunflower Seeds? I love those and can't find info on them.

Also, I don't have a sweet tooth but all of the sudden every thing sweet sounds sooooo appealing! Good luck to everyone, and yes, I am going to eat on the cruise - I'll still avoid bread and only sample desserts but I will enjoy myself and start again after the cruise.

Karried,

Sounds like you're off to a great start! I keep my good carbs bad carbs book in the office so I looked up sunflower seeds. It gives them a "good" rating. My littlest is allergic to peanuts so I bought her some roasted sunflower seed butter to replace her PB&J. It's very good and low carbs too.

Tami

Tami, thank you so much for looking that up! That will be my new snack -

I am hoping to stay on this healthy lifestyle for the rest of my life so I need to find simple pleasures that I still feel good about.

I was so happy to find SB because my DH is able to stick with it and is so excited to see the weight come off - he is the classic fat in the stomach area (diabetes 2) only which is worrisome because his dad had a major heart attack last year and I have been concerned about it for awhile. Nothing else seemed to work though- and this does.

Anyhow, thank you again, I really appreciate it! Good luck!!!!!!! :p

No Problem! I keep the book here so I can plan menus. If I put it out in the main part of the house it would end up in one of the kids' rooms under a pile of stuff. :p

I'm solidly back on phase 1 until I get the 4 pounds off I need to lose to hit my end of the month goal. I'm still fighting water weight from all the salty stuff we had this weekend. So, here's what I'm committed to eating today:

Breakfast: scrambled eggs (1 whole 1 white) with dill.

Lunch: deli chicken breast, tomatoes, cucumber and hummus

Dinner: baked pollock, summer squash baked with cheese

snacks: hummus and veggies, skinny cow low carb ice cream bar

plus I have a goal of at least 12,000 steps today

I'll keep you posted on how I do.

Tami

Good luck, Tami! :) I am back on Phase 2 because I didn't lose much being back on Phase 1. I did the 14 days and that is enough for me right now. It is sooo hard being on Phase 1 again. :( I need to lose 1.22 lbs per week to meet my goal by Oct. 21st. Hopefully, it will work out. I've been doing aerobic walking so that should help. Keep up the good work and keep us posted. Cheers!

I'm happy to say that I lost 2 pounds last week and my wife lost 5. that means she's ahead of me. That's ok cause we'll both be winners in the long run.

We wanted to eat at a Deli the other night and found it closed so we went to a BBQ place next door. I made the mistake of ordering Baby Back Ribs. That was my weight downfall. I didn't gain anything but I didn't lose anything either for the rest of the week. They sure were good but I've been kicking myself ever since. This week I'm staying on phase one to make up for it.

I started SB today..I have been doing modified Atkins for 5 years and have lost 55 lbs. I have been on a plateau for most of the last year and wanted to try something different to kickstart the last 20 lbs to reach my idea weight.

Don't know if I will lose much on Phase I as I have incorporated a lot of the principles of SB already.

I will keep you informed. Has anyone else gone from Atkins or Modified Atkins to SB and had good results in Phase I, II etc.?

PGcruiser, I went from doing Somersizing, which is a lot like Atkins to South Beach. I lost 6 lbs on Phase 1. My DH lost 9 lbs., but he wasn't dieting beforehand. Good luck with South Beach and welcome to LBYC!

:mad: That's how I feel this morning. just :mad: I've worked so hard the last couple of weeks, even with camping and travelling and have basically stayed exactly where I have been. I guess that's better than gaining but I'm not going to hit my goal for Friday. It was so tempting to have a chocolate poptart or 3 for breakfast today! Normally I'm not tempted by them at all but today was really hard. I ended up with fiber 1 and blueberries and we ice skate at 12:30 today so hopefully my psyche will pick up after that.

I did do all my goals yesterday. The only thing I added foodwise was a low carb tortilla at lunch and I got my 12,000 steps in. Here's today's goals: Breakfast: cereal and fruit

Lunch: deli meat rollups with hummus, dill pickles and celery

Dinner Chicken breast and mashed cauliflower

snacks: pistachios, hummus and veggies, and a skinny cow ice cream bar

exercise: ice skate for at least 1 hour

Tami

Shelia,

I did pretty well today, though I was hungry all day. Can't wait to see what horrors the scale shows in the morning. I ate according to plan, though I think I got some honey in tea that was supposed to be splenda sweetened. Can't be sure but it tasted like honey. Oh well. Only got to skate for 45 minutes due to hockey camp but I really tried to push. I can feel it in my hips for sure because I did to complete rounds of the rink doing "fishies." It's like being on the thigh machine without having to do the splits. :D

Anyway, I'm zonked and going off to bed now. If you hear screaming in the morning it's probably just me.

Tami

Tami, it sounds like you had a good time. I LOVE to roller skate or roller blade. I cannot, however, ice skate. Living in the South didn't give me an opportunity to learn. We have a mall here that has an ice rink so I have actually attempted to ice skate. I always seem to land on my bum though. ;)

Shelia,

I love to skate, I just wish I could afford to do it 3 times a week. I'd actually enjoy exercising then! :D I actually lost half a pound yesterday so today we ended up with lunch a taco hell, I mean bell. Yuck! The kitchen area looked clean but there's a big construction site just down from them and all the workers were in for lunch. It looked like they'd been having mud wrestling in there. I feel sorry for the poor people working there who have to clean up.

Oh well, i have no where that I have to go or any parties to be involved with this weekend so I am committed to getting back on track with exercise and phase 1. I had to get some corn syrup free ketchup for Delaney today so I made a massive trader Joes run. Now I'm stocked with pistachios, good organic cheese and enough chickpeas to sink a battleship.

Question: Do you know if dried fruit is allowed on phase 2? I love high fiber cereal if I can have some splenda and peaches on it but peach season is nearing the end. TJ's has a dried fruit mixture that has peaches, nectarines and pluots in it that's pretty good. My guide that I have only lists dried apricots (or papercuts as Carina used to call them. :D )

Tami

Archived