Royal Carribean vs. Celebrity

a1moty

It seems, according to some posters here, that Celebrity has gone down hill.

Well, I think I would attribute that to RCCI's interference with the Celebrity product. Under the terms of the purchase of Celebrity, RCCI was not supposed to interfere with the running of Celebrity and that they were to be kept separate from each other. It seems that this is a violation of the sales agreement. RCCI has seen fit to put their hands in a premium line and take a number of good features and muck around with them: Michael's Club on the Millie class and the demise of the T-Pool on the Century.

My husband and I will continue to sail with Celebrity but those who would rather think ill of it, remember who the parent company is. It's not a rival cruiseline owner!

Anita

We have had more cruises with Royal Caribbean than Celebrity, and enjoy them both, but Celebrity has one great advantage - no constant announcements - bingo in 30 minutes, bingo in 15 minutes, even a loudspeaker used during dinner for afterdinner bingo on RCI. As we are (still) able to read the daily schedule, we don't need the constant interrupting reminders, and enjoy the quiet. Nancy

Celebrity is our line of choice but we alternate between various ships (usually Millie) and Rhapsody. We do Rhapsody because we can drive, the cruise is about $1200 less and we save up airline points so we can upgrade to first class when we do cruise Celebrity (hey Mr Wolf is 6'5, he needs that perk for a 3 hour flight)

Having just gotten off Millie a month ago, I can say for us the Celebrity product has not gone downhill. The service was among the best in 9 cruises, the food was great in all venues, the ship was in great condition and we just like the vibe that Celebrity gives out. Are there some things I would change? Sure but nothing huge. Rhapsody is a lovely cruise with a more casual atmosphere and definitely more casual passengers. To us there is no real comparison between the two experiences. We have learned to appreciate the differences between the two.

We have had more cruises with Royal Caribbean than Celebrity, and enjoy them both, but Celebrity has one great advantage - no constant announcements - bingo in 30 minutes, bingo in 15 minutes, even a loudspeaker used during dinner for afterdinner bingo on RCI. As we are (still) able to read the daily schedule, we don't need the constant interrupting reminders, and enjoy the quiet. Nancy

You will be well advised to avoid Celebrity's Constellation. We had daily bingo announcements from Luke, the activities manager. He would come on and remind folks of a show that evening or some other tidbit and, oh, there's bingo in 20 minutes. He made it sound like the bingo part was an afterthought but it was the constant in each day's announcements.

I have sailed Celebrity 15 times and have had a great time on each cruise. It has been some time since I have tried an RCI cruise, but due to the change in Celebrity caribbean cruise schedule we are going on the AOS this July. Yes, I know that Celebrity does not sail the Caribbean in the summer, but we used to take Thanksgiving week cruises on Celebrity and this year they do not have any, so we decided to take a summer cruise on AOS.

My family really likes Celebrity very much. The kids love the Fun Factory and my wife and I really like the Aqua Spa Cafe and the food.

We have sailed on RCI before. We sailed on the Sun Viking, Song of Norway and Viking Serenade (all of these no longer sailing with RCI). I expect a very good cruise on the AOS. I believe there will be much more things for my kids to do and I also think the quality of food will not be as good as Celebrity. But all things equal, we are paying less for this cruise than we have on recent Celebrity cruises.

I look forward to trying the concierge lounge and it seems that there are more perks for diamond members (which we are due to the merger or what ever it is between the Captians club and Crown and Anchor).

I think that RCI will have a tough time having better specialty dinning rooms than Celebrity. The Olympic, Ocean Liners and SS United States have been the best meals and service that I have had either on land or sea.

I can't belive that RCI paid for Celebrity and then agreed not to have any say in the day to day operations of it. I am one of the Celebrity cruises who do believe that once John Chandlis (?) sold Celebrity it did go down in quality. Although I do think it has made a comeback in quality in past years.

The only bad cruise I have ever had was on old SS Independence. After cruising this ship I can have a good time on even a Carnival ship !! (well maybe that was a white lie!!!)

Fang, you have named two things that Celebrity did better than RCL, in our opinion. The AquaSpa Cafe and the specialty room were the two highlights of our cruise on Constellation. When we were looking at Europe for next summer, we nearly booked Millenium (actually we did, then we cancelled) because of the amazing light lunches they serve. It was refreshing that there was such creative light food that wasn't just an afterthought on the menu.

I hope you have a good time on AOS. What you trade out from the Celebrity experience will hopefully be replaced by more activities, diversions and experiences. I hope you post a review because we were pleasantly surprised at how much more space and less crowded the Voyager class had and I'd be interested to know if you feel similarly.

After several cruises on Celebrity -- all Centruy class ships -- I decided to give the Jewel of the Seas a try last fall. In comparing the two lines, I think there are some trade-offs. For me, cabin quality and food are very important. The aft E1 on the Jewel was reasonably spacious and nicely laid out. A step down from my Celebrity Sky Suite, but then so the was the price. And since I can't get a butler on RCL no matter what I do, E1 was fine. I am also a fan of the mid-day only accouncement policy on X, but the Jewel let you turn off most the annoucements if you didn't want to hear them.

As for the food, the variety of venues and station system in the buffet were appreciated on Jewel, but I should not have to pay to eat in the specialty restaurant each night because RCL won't serve decent meat in the main dining room. I admit, I'm a snob about my beef and lamb and when I order it medium rare, I mean it. While the meat quality on Celebrity may have slipped slightly in recent years (and the number of entree choices has been reduced as well), they are still a better dining room choice for me. Also, while my ability to "special order" (like an appetizer portion of the entree pasta) was less sucessful on my recent Galaxy sailing, it was still better than the response I got from the Jewel waiter. And did I mention X's waffle station for breakfast????

I would consider sailing RCL again, but would be making a trade between east coast homeporting, cost, and food quality.

Sphplinky,

I will write a review, we leave on the July 30th cruise.

While this may be weird, the thing I enjoy most of all of my X cruises have been having lunch at the Aqua Spa and getting a glass of wine from the pool bar. I really like the different food items in the Aqua Spa. I also enjoy talking to the staff (as they all work at the Olympic etc.). It was nice to see them in the afternoon and then talk to them at night. Several times their opinon changed my mind of what I would order, either at lunch or dinner. The best meal I had on my January cruise on the Infinity was the Salmon, cooked to order, at the Aqua Spa.

I told my wife that I would rather eat there than the main dining room and she looked at me like I had two heads. But she married me, so what does she know!!!

I really wish that X would put a year round ship out of Florida, but I understand they are making to much money in Europe. From a business standpoint, I can not blame them for that. But, from a person who can not afford a Europe cruise it would be nice

• 10 months later...

Interesting.

Just off the Radiance and was on her for New Year also. Were very good customers of Celebrity and have seen it all go downhill IMHO. Personally, I am not that influenced by a glass of champagne-not on arrival, or cold towels when boarding at ports. Doesn't influence me one way or another!! Certainly don't need that to feel important or pampered!! If I want all that, I go Seabourn! On the Infinity they tried to charge me a corkage fee for the champagne-not supplied as part of the Concierge Class package!!

The crew on the Radiance are very friendly and attentive - perhaps not as snooty though!! The staff in the Windjammer can't do enough for you and are always smiling!! They no longer do breadsticks at dinner, yet every night they found some for us. Also, icecream flavours not on the menu!!

The ambiance at Chops and Portofinos is nice and relaxed and the food is good. We became very tired of the formality in the Ocean Liners - love Dominic though!!! Cutest guy on the high seas!! So, so, French!!!

Definitely prefer the entertainment on RCCL though. We were on with the Spring Breakers which I was very concerned about. Security was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the young people - they were very well-behaved!!

If Celebrity had a particular itinerary that I wanted to do, then I would travel with them again, but the evenings can be very boring!!

OK Celebrity Screamers - flame me!!!!

2ladies, no flames here but just another case where one man's trash is another's treasure.

I am turned off by the very casual onboard atmosphere on RCI, find the food served in the dining rooms quite disappointing, really hate the silly pirates parade, cheesy entertainment, etc, at dinner. On Jewel, we paid extra every evening to enjoy a more upscale experience at Chops and Portofino.

On X we chose the Aqua Spa daily for breakfast and lunch, on RCI there is no such option. Since we do not care for buffets in terms of food or atmosphere, we had continental breakfast in the Concierge Lounge and lunch in port or via room service.

Security was sure not in force on my early December cruise and kids were a nuisance in the Solarium and elsewhere with not a parent in sight.

Shorts, jeans and sweats were abundant in the evenings.

RCI has found their niche and does a good job at keeping their fans happy. And they do build pretty ships. But for me, they do not offer an appealing ambiance for my cruising dollar.

To each his own and happy cruising:)

Archived