Residential Rate Proof

Does anyone have experience in utilizing a residential discount. What type of proof do you need to present at the pier in order to prove you are resident.

I understand a driver license or non-driver ID would have your address, but say you are a "snowbird" you live 6 months in one state and 6 in another. How do you prove you live in one state without a picture id? Are utility bills sufficient enough proof with your passport?

Any information would be appreciated.

It varies by cruise line, but I've never heard of them accepting anything other than photo ID. You can go to the DMV and get just an ID, it's not a license, but it does have your photo on it. People who live in NYC and don't have a driver's license do this in order to cruise.

Good luck!

We were told that a proof of residency could simply be a rental agreement from that state. My ex owns a home in CT but spends 50% of his time in Texas where he rents an apartment. His D.L. is from CT and he cruised with a resident rate from TX when he sailed with my kids and brought along a copy of his rental agreement from his apartment in TX as well as some mail. I don't think he was ever asked to show it.

When you are booking a cruise, and a state of residency discount is offered, the agent takes care of it all at that time. It's just a discount; the same as when you get a past guest or any other type discount. No biggie. You don't need any 'proof' of any type discount to get on the ship.;)

When you are booking a cruise, and a state of residency discount is offered, the agent takes care of it all at that time. It's just a discount; the same as when you get a past guest or any other type discount. No biggie. You don't need any 'proof' of any type discount to get on the ship.;)

The cruiselines have really cracked down on this at the checkin. Please confirm with your TA or cruiseline directly what they require. There have been reports in our trade magazines of people being turned away because they did not supply the required proof of residency. Never assume that it is ok until you get a reliable source giving you the actual response.

Good luck:)

I have been getting so many conflicting reports on how the residential rate applies. Some people state that the "cruise lines are cracking down" (and they always say it the same way also.. strange). Some report that they had a residential discount and was not asked for any type of proof at the pier. Many people told me to "call" the cruise line and get it straight from the source. I was told at first that I would need to present a driver's license. I explained I didn't have a drivers license then asked if I could present other proof such as property tax and utility bills. He stated that it is ok as long as it is "consistent" - I assume he meant the address on all the items - which he did.

The cruise lines should put their exact expectations in writing to the passengers instead of relying on word of mouth - even from the representatives of the company. If I went to the pier and presented my proof of residency that wasn't accepted then I would be angry if they try to charge me more for a ticket - it would almost seem like a scam. Especially since I am going by what one representative has told me.

I totally agree with you. I was with the Regional Sales Manager for Carnival in February and she said that they would not allow on the ship without proof.. preferably a DL. IMHO, If you had something else that had your name and address in that state on it, and you whined if they hassled you, then you could probably get through. Just have to have something that shows it.

Well I can tell you from EXPERIENCE that two years I had someone call me from the pier because they were being charge a "prevailing rate" because they couldn't provide proof. They were snowbirds, they had heard about the "cracking down" too, but didn't believe it. Better be safe than sorry.

Archived