Parking Cape Liberty NJ

Would appreciate any info regarding parking at Cape Liberty NJ. Is the parking readily accessible to the ship? Is it secure? Is it adequate to handle the load or is there a lot of searching to find a space? Fees; cash/credit card.

Thanks for any help.

Parking is readily accessible to the lounge you wait in until you take a shuttle bus to the ship. There are also shullte buses in the parking lot. Its secure. $15.00 per day cash master card and visa...More than enough spaces with people guiding you to the rows that have empty spaces...

We have sailed out of Cape Liberty 3 times and never had a problem with finding a parking space. There is a shuttle that runs through the lot to take you to the terminal or you can walk - very close and convenient. Just drop your luggage off first then go around again and park in the lot.

Hopefully, RCL has addressed the embarkation/disembarkation chaos that was occuring in 04....

I believe that parking facility only takes cash , prepaid for the entire length of the cruise. There have been incidents of cars being damaged by a nearby sandblasting business (i beleive) and there was a rash of break-ins....about a year ago.

I do believe that both conditions have been addressed by RCCL though.

If you do a serach on this board for "Cape Liberty" you'll find a lot of similar posts....

In 04 parking at the pier was chaotic if you arrived about the same time the previous cruise was disembarking. There were also a lot of chaos on the return...hopefully RCCL has corrected the situation with better control of traffic...

They take Credit cards and its improved since it first open two years ago.

From RCCL:

PARKING

The guests parking facility will be located adjacent to the cruise terminal and the cost for parking will be $12 per day. The

parking facility will only accept cash on arrival and will not accept credit cards or checks. The on-site parking facility is secured

and will be large enough to accommodate all guests who choose to park their cars at the pier.

Since 2004 thepayment options has been changed many times. I also believe that the cost is no 15.oo per day or will very soon.

From RCCL:

PARKING

The guests parking facility will be located adjacent to the cruise terminal and the cost for parking will be $12 per day. The

parking facility will only accept cash on arrival and will not accept credit cards or checks. The on-site parking facility is secured

and will be large enough to accommodate all guests who choose to park their cars at the pier.

Since 2004 thepayment options has been changed many times. I also believe that the cost is no 15.oo per day or will very soon.

Its 15.00 and they take credit cards. I have been there three times since 2004. When it first opened up it was confusing. Its been much better as the staff learned what to do and hit their stride. The Website is wrong(so what else is new) BTW where did you see the issue of the breakins?

The paint issue was extensively reported on and corrected, and I haven't seen anything about break ins.

You' ll have to read the Jersy Journal (or go to NJ.COM and search the story archive) to get the story on the break-ins...but it happened in 05 ( an arrest was made in September of 05) ...an ex police officer was arrested. People were coming home with notes on there cars. Hopefully, Central Parking took note of the lax security and has made improvements...

I would still park there in a heartbeat but the originally OP was asking about security...so I wanted him to be as informed as possible..

We only saw that one report of breakins. The lot is so remote from populated areas that unauthorized people are conspicuous. But it's not completely fenced. It's patroled. So I would consider the security to be "moderate." Now that the paint situation has been fixed I will leave my car there again. Last October I tried covering my car to avoid paint spray but I think the security people pulled the cover off. When I returned it was sitting on the ground. How could wind peel it off the car but leave it sitting there? Since there were no marks on the car I did not complain.

Its 15.00 and they take credit cards. I have been there three times since 2004. When it first opened up it was confusing. Its been much better as the staff learned what to do and hit their stride. The Website is wrong(so what else is new) BTW where did you see the issue of the breakins?

Re: the break-ins...Well I grew up in the area and still have extensive family there. So I first heard about the paint spray and break in problems from family and then read about it in the local paper (Jersey Journal) I mistakenly stated that the break ins were done by an ex police officer...it was an ex convict...the man and an accomplice were captured and convicted...This was happening in the summer of 05.

The police were leaving notes on the cars. a significant amount of cars were broken into....

I know for a fact that the issue of payment is constantly changing as to what is accepted for that lot in particular..so the OP just needs to double check with Central systems...In addition, the City of Bayonnes on website (this city operates the port) also states that parking is cash only...

Again just posting this for the originals poster fyi..I would park there in a hearbeat but the lot has had some problems...in the past...and Im hoping that the issues are being addressed...

Directly from http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm the website for the Cape Liberty Cruise Port:

Parking

A safe, secured parking facility, operated by Central Parking, is conveniently located adjacent to the cruise terminal. Parking fees are $15 per day. Cash, travelers cheques and major credit cards are accepted. No reservations are necessary.

So that covers that.

Directly from http://www.cruiseliberty.com/dirpark.htm the website for the Cape Liberty Cruise Port:

Parking

A safe, secured parking facility, operated by Central Parking, is conveniently located adjacent to the cruise terminal. Parking fees are $15 per day. Cash, travelers cheques and major credit cards are accepted. No reservations are necessary.

So that covers that.

Thank you one and all for all of the info. I was a little concerned about leaving a car there for 9 days but I feel pretty comfortable now. I have used parking at other ports with zero problems but I just wanted to hear from someone who had actually used the Cape Liberty lot. From the directions I have found it appears that it is pretty easy to reach coming from VA. Thanks again for all of the comments. That is what makes this site so terrific.

Parking

So that covers that.

As I said the OP needs to be wary of this. The payment options have constantly changed for this lot. I would bring enough cash to cover the nine day period as a safety net. (Our friends were had to pay cash last year, and we had to pay cash in 04). And the conflicting website information confirms this.

Ive heard, and Im checking this out, that the lot is no longer controlled by Central Systems. The lot does not come up as a location under Central Systems...Ill post what I find out...this could be the reason why the websites are conflicting also...

As I said the OP needs to be wary of this. The payment options have constantly changed for this lot. I would bring enough cash to cover the nine day period as a safety net. (Our friends were had to pay cash last year, and we had to pay cash in 04). And the conflicting website information confirms this.

Ive heard, and Im checking this out, that the lot is no longer controlled by Central Systems. The lot does not come up as a location under Central Systems...Ill post what I find out...this could be the reason why the websites are conflicting also...

so you don't think I make this up...from the City of Bayonne website

http://www.bayonnenj.org/royal.htm

States that parking is $15 a day CASH ONLY.. so they have the correct rate...its just the payment option...again the OP needs to be aware..

It also has the credit ok info in my Docs, I'm sure to bring enough cash to handle the cost, but I'll be handing them my credit card first.

Will someone who is just coming back from the Bayonne Port post their experiences?

Archived