Resident Rate Discount

Crusier722

I had a chance to call Celebrity and ask them what is acceptable proof for the residential discount. The agent at first said driver's license. I explained that I don't have a driver's license and was planning on using my passport as my photo id. I asked if I could show utility bills and my tax bill as proof. The agent said it would be acceptable as long as it is "consistent". I asked what he meant by "consistent" - did he mean they should all have the same address on the documents. He said yes and that I might need more than one.

So there is the "official answer", but I wish they had something in writing to have as backup. I would also appreciate anyone else that took advantage of a residential discount to share their experience - Where you asked for proof and if so what did you provide?

Thanks again.. and I hope this information helps others.

I will be boarding the Galaxy on Saturday with a residents discount from Rhode Island for a 16 night TA to Rome. I won't even tell you how inexpensive it was, I'm to embarrassed!:o Won't return until the 25th so then I can share the ID info from the pier. I will try to remember to ask about multiple state residences.:)

One reason is The cruiselines will get "bulk" or cheaper airfare from certain cities. To fill the seats on the plane they will offer resident rates from that area. MNow I'm sure they also have many other reasons why they do this, but none of us will probably ever be able to figure them out:)

long before Disney was in operation. There were a number of threads on this in the last couple of years involving residency, age discounts etc. The cruise lines will demand at the pier that you provide whatever proof they require or you will have to pay the difference in the fare. If you do not pay, you don't get on the ship. They have in the past couple of years been very strict about this.

Cruiser722,

If it is the state of Florida that you reside in part time, you can go to FL Motor Vehicles and request a Florida Driver's License and still retain your license from your home state.

You will be required to show your current license and I think a birth certificate or passport, etc. (check online before you go so that you have appropriate documents). You will then be asked if you will be turning in your current license, you simply tell them NO. You will be issued a restricted Florida Driver's License within a couple of minutes. This license is only valid in the state of Florida but it is legal and will give you a picture ID stating that you are a resident of Florida!!!

I believe this is the easiest way for you to go. While you can bring other documents, I wouldn't want to leave it to chance whoever is reviewing your documents at the pier is on the same page as the person you spoke with in the office.

Good Luck!!!

Thanks for the great feedback everyone.

I think with the residency rates it is important to ask your travel agent or booking agent about the possibility of a lower fare. There are three important discounts you may be eligible for (Off the top of my head):

Residency, Senior, Past Cruiser

I got my quote for the fare then it dawned on me about the residency and I save some $$ - so it never hurts to ask anytime you book a cruise.

Unfortunately - and you can tell from the varying posts on this topic - there is nothing told to you by the cruise line about what is acceptable. Many people and even the cruise line tells us that it is our responsibility to know what travel documents you need, but then don't tell you what those are. They say they can ask for any proof then charge you more if you don't meet there criteria.

Passangers get nervous about booking, especially since 9/11 with sticter documentation policies, so they would be less apt to argue or "make a scene".

Some say it is really strict and they are "cracking down" then some say that it wasn't even an issue.

The cruiselines should really have this clearly defined.

Archived