Too Hot??

HRKC

We will be on the Miracle in June, visiting the western carribean. Is it too hot during June to visit some of the sights, specifically the ruins?? Will we be better off visiting the beaches? My son really wants to see the ruins, but I don't want him to be miserable in the heat.

KC

We will be on the Miracle in June, visiting the western carribean. Is it too hot during June to visit some of the sights, specifically the ruins?? Will we be better off visiting the beaches? My son really wants to see the ruins, but I don't want him to be miserable in the heat.

KC

You don't say where your hometown is. June will be in the mid-80's at all the ports. You run the risk of an afternoon thundershower. It will be more temperate in the Carib than in Florida because of the breezes off the water. There will be humidity in the 70-80% range, and if you are not used to it that can be difficult to adjust to.

Mark T

According to Weather.com the average temps are the folloing.

Cozumel 87 degrees also June is the wettest month there

Belize 87 degrees May is warmest month

Grand Cayman 87 degrees May is warmest

But do not forget the humidity that will also play a factor!;)

When we went to Belize it was the 1st week of May, and it was sooo hot. I went to put on my swim suit(dry) in the welcome area bathroom( thatched roof with plenty if air circulation0 to snorkle. Well it was so humid that I could barely get the suit on. The humidity is horrible. Wear tons of sunscreen and reapply often. It was my favorite port though

We've taken lots of Caribbean cruises in June and July. Yes, it's hot and humid.

But don't let it stop you from seeing the ruins. I can't imagine going on a cruise and then not going to see what interested me in the ports.

Another time you might go to Alaska. It's unbelievably beautiful and it's nice to be on a cruise without being hot and sweaty!

We went to the ruins in Belize the end of May and I have NEVER been so hot in my life. There was very, very little shade. If intense sun and high humidity don't tend to bother you very much, you'll be fine, but I found it unpleasant!

We visited the ruins at Chichen Itza in late June a couple of years ago. It was extremely hot...mid to upper nineties.

Before we left for our trip, my DH purchased a contraption, a soft-bladed battery operated fan attached to a spray bottle. Misting ourselves with the water and then using the fan to cool our damp skin was a great way to beat the heat!

Too Hot?? :confused: I don't understand that!! 'Course, I love the heat...we don't get enough of it where I live. We are looking to move to where is "nice" all year long, but when I talk about it, people say, "But it's so hot...." Yippee! But that's just me!!

Too cold - that's something I understand! ;)

We haven't cruised during the summer. We have done Fall and Spring (Sept, Oct, Nov, and now March). I much prefer the Fall cruises cuz they were warmer! I was a little 'cold' during this last cruise!

I would just make sure if being hot isn't your thing - dress in loose clothing, bring lots of water to drink, a spritzing bottle is a great idea too! Yes, and definitely don't forget the sunscreen!!!

Enjoy the ruins!! They are awesome to see!!

KC

We've gone to Tulum in July to see the ruins. Yes, it was HOT, but we wouldn't have missed it for the world. Take plenty of water bottles with you AND cool off in the beautiful blue water below the cliffs. HEAVEN!!

We left on the Miracle last June 12th. Wow what a great time we had. In Costa Maya we went to the Chacchoben Ruins with David and Ivan (see the Costa Maya board for more info on them). Everyone who has gone with them has had the most fantastic time!! It was warm...but not too bad. Just bring bug repellent with you. If you want to do ruins then this is a pretty good place to do them. There isn't a whole lot to do in Costa Maya besides beach party and shopping so it's perfect for the ruins. We went diving in Belize. I would suggest snorkling at least in Belize. The reef is incredible! Grand Caymen has lots of stuff to do. We dove there too. Cozumel we went to Paradise Beach. That was fun too. I don't think it was too hot either. But the sun is strong and you can burn quickly.

Go and enjoy yourself. Do the ruins because let's face it you can go to the beach anytime. But the ruins are such an opportunity. And do yourself a favor and go with David and Ivan. At $43 a person a bargin.

We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya.

We are from Ohio, right by Lake Erie.

KC

Yes, it will be really hot, humid, and sticky out. Humidity will be close to 100% which will make it feel like your bathroom when you step out of your shower.

Remember to hydrate and the little fan is a great idea.

I would not want to visit the ruins in that weather unless you are visiting Tulum. Tulum is on the ocean and the breezes will make it cooler but it makes for a long day. Either way, you'll have to take the ferry and depart from there.

I live in South Carolina and know heat and humidity. It's a little worse in the caribbean but you'll have a great time.

Get excellent sunblock and use it liberally. Don't mess around with the sun down there.

I live in North Carolina and am preparing for another land vacation to the Yucatan interior in one month. Merida is the destination and close to Progreso on the northern edge of the Yucatan and on the gulf. This week AOL weather is forecasting in excess of 100 each day for the next week. The highest I think is over the wkend at 107. Having been there a few times I suggest loose fitting clothes and a hat and drink plenty of fluids. Your destinations will probably not be that hot but most ports are further south and closer to the equaitor.

Thank you for the help. You have all given some great advice. I had planned on the sunblock as we have fair skin, but I hadn't thought about the bug spray.

Any special bug spray and sunblock recommended? We normally buy waterproop banana boat spf of 30 or higher.

Our travel docs came today! Yeah!!!:) :)

Plan any Mexico ruin trip for December, January or February. Don't put yourself thru a day with the heat. You will enjoy it much more in the winter but make sure you do it sometime, it's worth it.

We went on the same trip last April. It was hot mid 80's. We loved it but in Belize it was so hot visting the ruin's it felt like the top's of our feet were burning off! Standing there listening to the girl lecture was the worst. No shade at all. We learned alot and it was nice to see but I'd never go in June. Next time we will be sure to snorkle there.

According to Weather.com the average temps are the folloing.

Cozumel 87 degrees also June is the wettest month there

Belize 87 degrees May is warmest month

Grand Cayman 87 degrees May is warmest

But do not forget the humidity that will also play a factor!;)

For Phoenix

Jun 102°F 75°F 89°F

Jul 104°F 81°F 93°F

Aug 102°F 80°F 91°F

I look forward to Mayan ruins to cool off.

An insulated hydration pack, filled with ice and then water will provide ice water all day.

We are going to Cozumel, Belize, Grand Cayman, and Costa Maya.

We are from Ohio, right by Lake Erie.

KC

Its too bad they removed Isla Roatan from that schedule. We where there in March and the temps were in the high 80"s

I bought Bull Frog sunscreen with built in insect repellant. It is the spray gel type, anyone use this before? It is a good product?

Dunno about the repellant part, but Bull Frog sunscreen really works.

{fyi - it will also remove nail polish and many types of paint}

Dunno about the repellant part, but Bull Frog sunscreen really works.

{fyi - it will also remove nail polish and many types of paint}

Totally not to be rude, but if it removes polish and paint, is it really safe for your skin?!;)

Archived