Fire on board cruise ship

Starbright

There are reports on the TV in the UK this morning regarding a fire on board a cruise ship in the English Channel.

The ship concerned is the Calypso owned by Louis Cruise Lines. This is a Cyprus based company which has a fleet of old second-hand ships and runs inexpensive cruises. There were some 450 plus passengers on board and 200 or so crew.

Apparently the fire was in the engine room. No one is hurt and the fire has now been put out. Some reports said the lifeboats had been launched, but the latest from the coastguard is that that is not true. In accordance with normal emergency procedures the passengers are at muster stations, but it is thought that the ship is now safe.

That's scary. I am currently reading "Burning Cold" which is about the old Prinsendam sinking off Alaska in 1980. I'm just to the part where the fire has gotten large enough that the passengers are about to evacuate the ship.

That's scary. I am currently reading "Burning Cold" which is about the old Prinsendam sinking off Alaska in 1980. I'm just to the part where the fire has gotten large enough that the passengers are about to evacuate the ship.

I have not heard of this book. Who is the author? Has it been recently published? Thanks for any information you can provide.

I have not heard of this book. Who is the author? Has it been recently published? Thanks for any information you can provide.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760320799/104-0662038-7846353?v=glance&n=283155

Burning Cold -The Cruise Ship Prinsendam and the Greatest Sea Rescue of all Time, by H. Paul Jeffers, published 2006. ISBN-13: 978-0-7603-2079-2

Archived