Pre-cruise in Honolulu

cruzfiend

For our October, 06 Pride of Hawaii trip we booked through NCL the Marriott Waikiki Beach for 2 nights.

Can't tell you yet if we liked it but I can tell you we paid $398 for 2 nights with standard city views.

After much research and agonizing (we're from W. MI too!), we also booked the Waikiki Marriott for a two-day pre-trip for our November 6th cruise. I checked around a lot and the price that Norwegian is offering, $398.00 for two nights is much less than the rates quoted on travel sites of $524.25 for the same two nights at the same hotel.

Put that together with the convenience of the luggage transfers, pre-registration, pre-booking restaurants and shore excursions etc, we figured it was worth it. Even checking prices at some of the "cheaper" nice hotels, we still couldn't beat the Norwegian pricing at the Marriott.

CM; does that price include taxes? Also, you can pre-book the ship restaraunts @ this hotel?

Yes it includes taxes, bellman gratuities, and one transfer from hotel and pier. You can book excursions and advance ship check-in. It does not say anything about ship restaurant reservations... great idea though..

http://www.ncl.com/destinations/hawaii/vs.htm#

BTW, the prices with NCL at the Marriott are cheaper than I could find for our trip in Oct.

I always use TripAdvisor.com to narrow down hotel choices. In Honolulu, we went with the Waikiki Beachcomber- I found an internet rate of $120 per night. The location is great- right above the International Marketplace and across the street from the beach. The staff was very friendly and the rooms were clean- nothing fancy, but adequate for our needs. We had a better view from our lanai than my parents did- they paid $200 per night at the Marriott.

However- they did like the Marriott (best beds they ever slept in!) and it was handy to use the pre-boarding check in. We also checked in early- they don't usually do this for people who aren't staying there- but we didn't yell at them like EVERYONE else was doing, so they let us in!

The Ultimate place to stay is Hilton Hawaiian Village!!! We did for 5-6 nights back in March-for around $1300 it was GREAT value and a superb spot!!!! We loved EVERYTHING about it.....

You might want to check out the Hotels- Pre and Post Cruise thread in the Cruise Discussion topics on this board. Do a serch for "honolulu" or "waikiki" and I'm sure you'll get information.

Thanks for the tips. I've check w/tripadvisor and biddingfortravel. Also, the pre/post cruise site - not too many people chat there. I'm not ready to give up, I'll keep checking. There are three couples involved - so we need a price range we can all agree on.:)

My husband and I are celebrating our 3rd wedding aboard the POH (11/13/06 sailing).

Ideally I would have loved to do a pre-cruise stay on Maui but it didn't really make sense to do the inter-island flights for just a few days.

After doing some research and guide book reading, we have opted to stay on the North Shore of Oahu, in order to get a more "outer island experience" without the congestion of Waikiki.

We will be staying 5 nights pre-cruise at the Turtle Bay Resort.

We booked a package through our warehouse club's travel agency (the big C) for what I think is a good deal (the best offer I received - Better than several independants and major online sites).

We paid $2600 for the cruise in a Balcony Guarantee Cabin with Free Insurance and a coupon booklet.

For the remaining components of our trip

Airfare for 2 R/T Newark to HNL (Non-stop on Continental)

5 days Convertible Rental Car

5 nights at Turtle Bay Resort in Deluxe Ocean Front Room with large furnished lanai (5th night free, upgrade to Jr. Suite based on availability)

Airport Lei Greeting

$60 Resort Credit

Trip Cancellation Insurance

$3050 total

So I know it is not cheap but they do have less expensive room categories. There were not many options outside of Waikiki but I think this will be the best for us.

We are so excited for the trip. I don't know how I'll wait the 7 months.

Ann :)

Archived