My review of Elation 5/7-5/14

brizann

We had a group of 13 women. We flew into Ft. Lauderdale and stayed at the Sleep Inn and Suites overnight. It was a good place to stay, they have a free shuttle to/from airport and a nice hot breakfast.

The morning of the cruise we had arranged for Top Shuttle to pick us up at the hotel and take us to the Miami cruiseport. They were very prompt. They had a private van with a trailer attached for all of our luggage. The price was $155 total. Which worked out to be about $12 per person, not icluding tip. A great value and a wonderful service!

Embarkation was not bad...the usual lines and filling out the form. We boarded the ship and went straight to our cabins. We went up on deck to wave as we left...but it was 5pm and we weren't leaving. We waited on deck until our dinner time 6:15pm and we still hadn't left so we went to dinner. Our waiter was very quiet bearly said two words to us, his assistant was much friendlier, still kind of quiet though. As we were eating we finally left port...around 7pm. They announced that they were delayed because they were getting all of the luggage on the ship for 2300 passengers and it was a big job. I didn't quite understand why that was holding them up, but we were finally leaving, so I was ok with it.

We went to the welcome aboard show in the Mikado lounge. It was ok, but the Cruise Director Jorge was fabulous. He was so funny! The lounge had big poles that obstructed views, it was hard to find a place to sit that didn't have one of these poles in your way.

Our first port was Half Moon Cay. It was beautiful here. There were plenty of seats and clam shells. They served lunch on the island. It was good. The lines were a confusing though. We headed back to the ship and got ready for dinner. The dinners were ok...not great. On the night we had lobster they didn't shuck it, and it was very rubbery. Some items were very good...some very bad. Overall I wasn't impressed with the food. We did eat at the buffet a few times..it was ok again some things good, some bad. The best part was the pizza and ice cream available 24hrs a day. That was good. At the buffet, the machines kept breaking down. Ice, hot chocolate, coffee, juice, ice cream...there was always a machine out of service.

The second port was St. Thomas. We opted to take a ferry over to St. John and go to Trunk bay. The taxi to the ferry port was $10pp the ferry was $5pp. The taxi driver told us that Cinnamon beach was exactly the same as Trunk bay, but it was $1 extra where as Trunk bay was $4 extra. We opted for Cinnamon beach. Paying $7 for the taxi ride. It was fabulous. We snorkled, saw a sea turtle, a lot of fish. it was a lot of fun.

Pretty much every night after dinner we would go to kareoke. That was hilareous and fun! Boston Rob the host, was awesome! One of the best things on the ship!

The next stop was San Juan, Puerto Rico. There were some major protesting going on in the city. We ventured into the Dooney and Burke and Coach outlets and stopped at some of the local vendors on the way. There were helicopters circling and you could hear some people, it was a little scary, but it was fine.

The last stop was Grand Turk. We didn't know what to expect. As we came into port we were up on deck watching. The island is completely flat, not a sight for sore eyes. There was a small oil refinery that you could smell. We were all a little dismayed and thought it was not so great. Until we went on our excursion. We went to Gibbs Cay, a small uninhabited island about 20 mins boat ride away. They pulled right up on the beach and we all got out stepped into the water and within seconds stingray came right up to the beach. Swimming all around our feet and legs. We fed them and went snorkling. It was wonderful. The water was beautiful and saw all kinds of fish, coral, urchins, etc.. All right off the beach! There were tons of conch shells. One of the crew of the boat dove down and got a conch and served it up for everyone to try with a little lime and salt. It was good. We were able to take that conch shell home with us. It was neat to come somewhere to pristine and untouched by tourists. Very Awesome!

Overall the ports were great...the ship so-so. The service was not to good. We never knew who our cabin steward was...we wouldn't have beach towels stocked, one room didn't have washcloths for 2 days. All of that aside...the worst thing by far was we kept getting bit. Yes, bug bites. I seemed to have got the brunt of the bites out of our group, although everyone had a few bites. It started the first night on board. I would come on the ship from port immediatly shower and put on clean clothes, not worn previously. I would wake up in the morning itching. At first I thought it was sand fleas or something from the beach. But during the day I wouldn't get any bites...only at night, I would wake up in the morning with new bites. Now that I am home, I haven't had any new bites. The only thing that makes sense are bed bugs. I only got bit at night, as well as the other ladies in our group.

I would never sail the Elation again. I have previously sailed the Star Princess, which was fabulous. I hope this information is helpful.

By the way we arranged for Top Shuttle to pick us up at the Miami cruiseport and take us back to the Ft. Lauderdale Airport. They were there early, they didn't have the trailer for the luggage, but had two vans waiting for us at no extra charge (It was the same $155 total). I would highly recommend their service!!

Thanks for the review!! Did anyone in your group speak to a carnival rep. about the bed bugs, that's a serious problem if they do have them. Would you suggest an excursion at GT or just run around yourself?

My travel agent is in contact with Carnival. I emailed customer service at Carnival.com as well. We booked the Gibbs Cay w/stingray excursion on Grand Turk. The island is known for it's waters. The island itself is small and flat. The beaches were beautiful, but no palm trees, etc. You would definetly want snorkel or dive there, very pristine, untouched by tourists.

Thanks for taking the time to write a really informative review for all of us waiting to hear about the Elation. We are sailing her Sept. 10th same course and can hardly wait to leave!

Sorry to hear you got bit by bugs, what kind of cabins were you in?

I do not know what kind of bugs...I never saw them. It was really weird. Didn't have any bites before the cruise, only got bit at night, and haven't had any new ones since I have been home. We were on the Emperess Deck. We had 13 people and most every one had a bite or two, but I had the most. I can't say they were bed bugs for sure...but it sure seems thats what they were.

Sorry to hear that the crew was not friendly. We cruised the Elation in December and all the crew we encountered were great. And I agree, Jorge is great!

If I was only bitten at night by these bugs, I would have taken the bed apart to see if I could find them. Not to mention that I would inform the purser's desk and steward. Not saying the OP did the wrong thing but that's just what I would have done.

I will be going on a group cruise on the Elation December 2007 and I am looking forward to Grand Turk. I've read that it is such an interesting and diverse island.

Archived