Update: Crucon and C&A coupons

Before these boards changed, I posted about Crucon not accepting our C&A coupon, saying the cruise was already discounted.

Now, tenacious being my middle name I faxed the coupon to RCCL...A week later, we received a fax back saying it had been applied to our reservation! Now we will have to wait and see if the amount ($225.00) comes off the price, or if RCCL will apply a credit to our credit card, after the cruise. An RCCL rep said this could happen.

Hope this proves helpful to those of you, that have had problems with Crucon and RCCL.

U2...We are working with someone called Laura...seems effecient enough....but was very firm about not accepting the coupon....of course, it would cut into her commision!

Think if RCCL is giving it, TA's should not have the right to deny them. Makes a mockery of the whole set up. The cost of a cruise, should have no bearing on whether they accept a coupon or not.

Was your credit card charged by Crucon or RCI? If the charges were from Crucon and RCI allows the credit for your coupon it is possible that RCI's charges to Crucon will go down by the value of the coupon and that Crucon will not pass the savings on to you. That would mean that they just made an extra $225.00 off of your booking.

After completing your first cruise with RCI you can join the Crown & Anchor Society. This is RCI's program for repeat customers. Periodically, and randomly, you will receive a Crown & Anchor magazine from RCI which will contain coupons for discounts off the price of various cruises.

Although I have used CruCon many times in the past with C&A coupons, as with most larger agencies, TA's have a lot of latitude whether to accept them or not. It's not necessarily an angency policy, I am told. My agent, Patrice, at CruCon retired in 2002, so I have been using CruiseQuick.com, where a C&A coupon minus their cut, was used for our upcoming cruise aboard the Monarch in July. Patrice used to honor my coupons for full face value, but she generated a lot of bookings. She said agents not doing so well may not honor them at all! The company - CruCon - lets the agents decide how to handle this.

With that said, the bottom line is your final price. If you go through the cruise line directly, your coupon will be honored 100% on a higher rate. If your goal is to save $$, you should really be looking at your final cost. I usually shop around and ask about cost before and after the C&A coupon. No use in spending more to use your coupon. CruCon does run specials now and then where no coupons are allowed, but they tell you that in their adds.

Shipboard credit is better than a reduced rate for your TA - she won't lose her commission. But since you bypassed her altogether, I'll be curious to see how this is handled. MY old agent at CruCon frequently had me send in my coupon directly to the cruise line - while I supplied her with the info right over the phone. When the cruise line got the coupon, they called up my TA to verify that it was okay to give me it's value.

I was assigned Laura at CruCon when Patrice left, but I wasn't happy with the way she was handling my booking - our documents came two days prior to our departure. After my cruise was over, I just never went back. But I wouldn't hesitate to recommend CruCon - we were happy with them for years, and they have a lot of good agents.

I just heard back from Kevin at Crucon and he said that I would be getting only $189 refund on my $125 coupon + $100 Platinum discount (total $225) because they (Crucon) kept 16% commission as the cruise (Mariner 9/19/04) was already deeply discounted. Frankly, I am OK with this as the price I got for this cruise (a CC cruise) was very good. I usually use cruisquick and always hold back 16%.

I am currently booked with Crucon. The TA took my C&A coupon, but discounted it about $30.00. I am still happy with my booking. I am with Royal and he has been doing a good job for us. Carla

Archived