Cruise Critic Community

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

squale

Land Rover Explorer excursion?

I am already booked to do the 'Aerial Trek' in St. Lucia in the early morning, but after that, around noon, I am thinking of seeing some of the island, and there is an excursion through Royal Caribbean called the 'Land Rover Explorer', does anybody know how this is? What are the things that are best to see on the island, I will only have a few hours in the afternoon to see something..

Thanks

The Land Rover 4x4 excursion is pretty good if you want to see the island - you get to go up a VERY steep winding road to the top of a mountain, and stop at an amazing lookout point, then on through some jungle and banana plantations (they stop so you can eat some local bananas and fresh coconut milk), then stop for a hike down to a very tall waterfall (beware - the walk requires some athletic ability and only for those with good balance - trust me!), next is a little dip at a volcanic spring, which legend says has good healing powers, and they serve you some excellent rum punch there. The last stop is at a beautiful fishing village, where you can grab a beer at the local bar (get Pitons!) and buy some really great, and cheap, souveniers. I would certainly recommend this excursion, but only for the physically fit - while you can stay on the truck instead of hiking to the falls, those with bad backs should not go due to the VERY rough terrain that the trucks encounter (which by the way, are open air backed (Land Rovers with a front cab, and the back is open with face to face seating and you can stand up for the drive if you like)

-Emily

P.S. - don't bother to go see the Pitons, since most cruises go slowly by them as you depart the isle - better view than you would from a catamaran!

SOME PICS WE TOOK:

rsionfishingvillageprettyhouse-vi.jpg?500375

olcanicwaterswimmingpoolLocals-vi.jpg?500375

ingpoolBobJasmineEmilyandtruck-vi.jpg?500375

usedbystoneremovaltobuildhomes-vi.jpg?500375

roverexcursionbananaplantation-1-vi.jpg?500375

do you get to see all the gardens, waterfall into the flowers, drive-in volcano, etc. when doing the 'Land Rover Explorer'?

I hear there are other island tours that are like 7 hours long that take you through all of this stuff. I am just wondering since the 'Land Rover Explorer' is only about 3.5 hours long, if you still get to see all of this stuff?

Is it very dangerous being on cliffs in those 4x4 Land Rovers? Do they take you up to see the Pitons?