Should I book with a TA or with RCI directly?

Last year I booked with a travel agent but they really didn't do much. I was thinking about booking directly with RCI this time and if a good deal comes up I can always transfer it over to my TA. The only thing I need is travel insurance and I have seen a couple of recommendations on here that I might try out. The one good thing about booking with RCI is that I will get double rewards and can get a ship credit if I use my VISA card to pay for it. Any other advantage's to booking either way?

This question has been asked hundreds of times and you can search and find tons of information on this. Now for my opinion, I always use rccl online because I can have complete control over my booking and change cabins at will, and make payments on line and do what ever I please in regards to the reservation. The drawback with a TA is that if you call rccl with a question they will not even talk to you if you have booked with a TA.. use a TA and all dealing have to go through the TA.. too much trouble as far as I am concerned.. I would have to go to the TA to book and do what ever is necessary.. if I decide to book at 3 am, I can do that on line with rccl online.. that is the only way I will book my reservations. I have 5 reservations currently and can view them at any time and make any changes as I desire online and at any time I want to.

I also have booked directly with RCC. You can get perks from using a TA as well, ship board credits,free excursions,cabin upgrades ect. Also if something goes wrong or you need help they usually can help you straighten out with RCC.

I've never had any problems myself but you never know.Also some people just don't have time to deal with vacation details.

I was a TA for many years, so I guess I'm a little biased. I can't tell you how many times I solved clients problems when the cruise line, airline, hotel, etc. made 'mistakes'. Like wrong catagories, dining assignments, overbooking, etc. It was the representation that allowed us/me to work things out for them. On my recent cruise, Princess messed up our dining reservations, and put our friends on a different setting. They said nothing could be done, talk to the Matre'd when we arrived. My TA called them and 'presto!' we had our dining problem resolved. I've almost always gotten a better cabin when using a TA also.

I do think it's a little frustrating that the cruise lines won't give you information directly-I've run into that myself, ugh! But I think they are trying to preserve the relationship, so people don't change things and then the TA doesn't know about it.

Anyway, there's my 2 cents!

Archived