How great are last minute bargains?

a1moty

After a recent health scare, my sister and I have to take our Mom on her dream cruise to Alaska for her 75th birthday in September. Her dream is to go--not to have the best cabin on the ship....good thing at this late date. Sadly, we have not had time to save up or plan ahead. Can anyone tell me how great the last minute bargains can be? My sis and I will be going in debt for this "gift" and really need to get it at the best price possible.....any suggestions or advice will be appreciated...

I booked my May 12 cruise in the middle of February and was satisfied with my room! I didn't feel the need for a balcony or a certain area. I know we were early in the season and that may have helped us get a good price. We booked an NN(inside) guarantee and ended up with a C room(large outside).

Since you are going late in the season, you may get lucky too!

We used *****.com and were happy with their service. We were on the Zaandam(RT Seattle) with stops at Juneau, cruising Glacier Bay, Sitka, Ketchikan and Victoria, we got a $699pp rate.

Good luck and have fun, hope your mom is feeling well.

Last week I saw an incredible B2B on a Statendam cruise offered on one of the large online sites. It was better deal than our 7-day Statendam + Anchorage air fare. (Only a week later sailing) Wish I could have taken advantage of that offer.

There are some last minute specials out there.

I hope you can find an Alaskan cruise.

I have to agree, I think your best bet is to let your travel agent know what you are needing as to what you want to pay and dates you can go. I usually check pricing on the internet so I have an idea what itinerary I want and approximate price. I give this to my TA. I wouldn't worry about which HAL ship as they are all great or particular cabin as long as it accommodates three. There are lot of places you can spend out of your cabin to view the beautiful scenery of Alaska. I have cruised Alaska several times. My favorite place on the ship is the Crows Nest watching for whales, otters, etc. in those big comfortable chairs surrounded by those huge windows. There are lots of tables and chairs on the Lido deck to do the same. The majority of the Alaskan ports have lots of shopping right at the port and other things in walking distance if you feel you can't afford the tours. This is one cruise you see lots of scenery and wildlife just from the ship. Go for it! I guarantee you will love it and want to go back.

I get tons of emails from online travel agencies with current "bargains", and I have been seeing quite a few with discounted HAL Alaska trips for this year. Some of them appear to be really good prices, although I haven't checked them out because I'm not interested in sailing Alaska this year. Other years the bargains were for the May and September sailings, but I have seen reduced prices for June, July, and August this year. If you are interested in a basic inside or outside stateroom, you should be able to find some good buys. We aren't permitted to recommend travel agents, but if you check out some of the travel agencies who advertise on this site, you should be able to get an idea what the prices are.

We took my mother-in-law on an Alaskan cruise a few years ago. I wish we'd gotten a balcony for her, or at least a room very near a door to the outside with chairs nearby because her mobility issues and lack of strength made it tiring for her to get out and enjoy the scenery.

She chose to stay on the ship the whole cruise and the balcony for her would have been worth it. We had booked two adjacent oceanview rooms; in retrospect I wish we'd gotten her the balcony and taken an inside across the hall for ourselves -- it would have kept the total cost from increasing too much and been much nicer for her.

I second the suggestion that you start working with a good cruise travel agent to suss out the deals -- and the back-to-back might well be cheaper than the open jaw fares.

Good luck!

As do other lines, HAL announces "Flash" sales. Click on the link below, scroll down and select "Flash Specials". A separate browser will appear listing current sales.

Keep in mind you need to stick to the categories offered. Upgrading to a higher one will usually result in a significant price increase.

http://crm.hollandamerica.com/broadbaseema/HA3129/flash.htm

Alaska is the only cruise where we made extensive use of the balcony. The scenery all along the Inside Passage and in the glacier bays is magnificent, and the sea life beaucoup abundant.

Using a good cruise agent is a first rate idea, if you can find one. They're as rare as hen's teeth.:p

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all of the advice. I agree that a GOOD TA is a rare find--

Thanks also Stevesan for the link to HAL Flash. I did check that out and have saved it to my favorites so that I can keep an eye on it.

It is sad and amazing how a doctor can change your mind on whether or not to take a vacation this year.

Thanks again for all of your help.

Most time the early dining times are already booked - and - only late dining is available. Be sure you check on this when you commit to a certain date.

Or you could eat every dinner in the Lido - as we did once since we couldn't pass up the last minute price.

MaryAnn

We're getting lots of....well, at least increased from last year.....offerings directly from the cruise lines and from TA's we've worked with for Alaskan, European, Caribbean cruises. We're not interested in the Alaska cruises and the Caribbean offers, so far, have been for the early Caribbean season (read "Hurrican Season") through October/November. I guess it would be wonderful to take advantage of some of the offers but "flash" offers don't help much when you consider airline fares. Flying from San Antonio to Florida or Europe right now, especially on short notice, is expensive and pretty much negates the offerings.

After a recent health scare, my sister and I have to take our Mom on her dream cruise to Alaska for her 75th birthday in September. Her dream is to go--not to have the best cabin on the ship....good thing at this late date. Sadly, we have not had time to save up or plan ahead. Can anyone tell me how great the last minute bargains can be? My sis and I will be going in debt for this "gift" and really need to get it at the best price possible.....any suggestions or advice will be appreciated...

My friend found 7 days Midet. cruise on Costa for 1650$ include flight from Toronto!!!!but 4 days before cruise:confused: Alaska is only for short season so I would not count on too cheap in this situation.but my advise get very good TA he will be able to fine you last min.deal

My friend found 7 days Midet. cruise on Costa for 1650$ include flight from Toronto!!!!but 4 days before cruise:confused: Alaska is only for short season so I would not count on too cheap in this situation.but my advise get very good TA he will be able to fine you last min.deal

Keep in mind that when you do get a bargain for a last minute cruise, you will probably spend more on air fare as those fares will go up.

Exactly. The bargains are only really bargains if you are within driving distance of the port. That's why all the lucky retired folks in Florida have it so good. They get phone calls or emails on Monday about a cruise departing that coming weekend from Fort Lauderdale ... with a sinfully low price because HAL is trying to fill up the empty cabins. Since they're retired, they can be ready to go literally at a moment's notice. Since they live in Florida, it's easy to drive or take a motorcoach to the pier ... and they wind up with a really great cruise for a ridiculously low price.

Of course, be aware, when you get these last minute deals, you will get the cabins that are left ... but, if cabin selection is not very important to you, last minute deals like this are a great way to squeeze more cruises into your budget.

Blue skies ...

--rita

In my experience, airfare into Vancouver is much more expensive than into Seattle. And the fare to or from Anchorage would also increase the cost. That being the case, I would look first at Oosterdam sailings which are round-trip out of Seattle. Another option would be to get airfare into Seattle and take the shuttle service to Vancouver, if you really want a ship that sails from there. This might entail an extra night's hotel stay, though - you'll have to check the air and bus schedules carefully and don't cut it too close for comfort.

It's fortunate that you will have 3 in one stateroom, since that reduces the average cost per person somewhat (3rd and 4th person rates are usually higher in Alaska than in the Caribbean, unfortunately). Just a quick check of one online agency showed that you could get an SY cabin for the same price as a VC balcony, for some reason - about $3400 for 3 people on the 9/16 Oosterdam sailing. An F category outside on Main deck could be had for a little over $2100 on the same sailing.

Good luck with your search and happy sailing,

Susan

In my experience, airfare into Vancouver is much more expensive than into Seattle. And the fare to or from Anchorage would also increase the cost. That being the case, I would look first at Oosterdam sailings which are round-trip out of Seattle. Another option would be to get airfare into Seattle and take the shuttle service to Vancouver, if you really want a ship that sails from there. This might entail an extra night's hotel stay, though - you'll have to check the air and bus schedules carefully and don't cut it too close for comfort.

Susan

Absolutely correct. Not only are the fares much higher, Continental zeroes out FF seats to Vancouver beginning June 1.:( So I booked a B2B cruise, Vancouver/Seward, and flew R/T Seattle. Rented a full size auto (Buick) for ~$125 each way. Enjoyed a gorgeous scenic drive, and total cost was much less than flying into YVR. Best of all, I was able to get FF seats to SEATAC. Even without the FF, the lower air fare would have more than offset the car rental.

During the planning stage I checked the Anchorage open jaw, and although it was of course more, I was surprised how little difference there was. That was before I decided on a B2B, the best cruising decision I ever made!!!:)

I live in Florida and have never gotten an e-mail on a Monday for a cruise on Saturday !! What cruiselines do this - has anyone gotten such an e-mail ? I get emails but not last minute like that.

I, once, got one for 3 weeks away - but only once.

MaryAnn

We booked a 7 day south bound Alaskan cruise at the last minute last year. We were not planning to go but the deal was just too good to pass up. Before we booked, I checked the one way air fare to make it was a good price as others have mentioned the air fare can be high, thus a B2B cruise would have been better. We lucked out on both the cruise price and the air fare.

We have done this twice now and there have no problems at all. However, if you have a key event that you can't miss, then it is risky to wait for a deal. It also depends on whether you are looking for a balcony or a inside cabin. Inside cabins are usually more available and priced better.

Griswalds

Wowzo - The "last minute" offerings I've gotten have been from the TA's I've booked with in the past. I have one TA who is actually a personal friend and she doesn't even repackage the emails she gets from the cruise lines, she just forwards them to me. The longer term offers, though still too short for us to make much use of them, come from both the cruise lines and the TA's.

• 3 weeks later...

I am so happy to report that we have finally booked.

I did find a 7 day Alaskan with mid/ship verandah for $1100.

Whether or not this is a great deal--I am happy with it.

Thanks so much for your advice and help.

Happy Cruising!

Archived