An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

9 hours ago, Copper10-8 said:

Noordam is scheduled for a dry-dock at the Victoria Shipyards Company, Ltd. in Esquimalt, B.C. (HAL ships have not been there for a while) between 29 Sep and 12 Oct of this year

A 2 week dry dock!  We’re looking at sailing on her next year.  Do you happen to know if there are any major changes being made to her, by chance?  Thanks 🙂 

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing aboard the Koningsham (sp) next April having never sailed HA before.  It's a repositioning before the Alaska season San Diego to Vancouver just to try out the line to see what we think.  What is different about the Pinnacle class ships....?

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:59 PM, ski ww said:

Reading other posts from other HAL ships it sounds like all the library's are history.

On most of the large ships, that's true. But the libraries are intact on the smaller ships.

• 2 weeks later...
39 minutes ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Posted a video of how to access the forward observation decks on the ms Amsterdam (and other R class ships) from our cruise a few weeks ago here:

That's the hard way to get there. Much easier to go straight in on Promenade Deck (deck 4). No steep stairs involved (and on scenic cruising days, if you're going to be out there a while) there's a rest room handy).

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, RuthC said:

That's the hard way to get there. Much easier to go straight in on Promenade Deck (deck 4). No steep stairs involved (and on scenic cruising days, if you're going to be out there a while) there's a rest room handy).

Interesting - through the mainstage?

1 hour ago, cruisingrob21 said:

Interesting - through the mainstage?

Exactly. Just go through the doors marked you're not supposed to go through them (it's all right to do when the bow is open), then through the doors about 4'-5' further on. The stairway coming from Lower Promenade is right in front of you then. Just head out to the door to the bow.

• Like 2

One of the most common questions we get on these boards, particularly from new members, is about the different "classes" of HAL ships - the Vista-class, S-class, and so on. Naturally, everyone wants to know which ships are in each class, and what the differences are.

With that in mind, I decided to post this "sticky" post explaining the different "classes". I hope this clarifies the situation.

Now, let's meet the different HAL ships, starting with the smallest and oldest:
PRINSENDAM

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

S-class

STATENDAM - 1993 - 55,810 GT - 1,251 pax
MAASDAM - 1993 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax
RYNDAM - 1994 - 55,819 GT - 1,251 pax
VEENDAM - 1996 - 55,451 GT - 1,251 pax

These four ships are the "backbone" of the HAL fleet. They are virtually identical except for color schemes and artwork. They were the first new HAL cruise ships to have features like the atrium, the two-deck high dining room and main lounge, and the indoor/outdoor Lido pool. These very versatile ships have done everything from 7-day Caribbean and Alaska cruises to full World Cruises. Recently they have been upgraded with features like the Pinnacle Grill alternative restaurant and the Neptune Lounge concierge lounge (for suite passengers).

R-class

ROTTERDAM - 1997 - 59,652 GT - 1,316 pax
VOLENDAM - 1998 - 60,906 GT - 1,440 pax
ZAANDAM - 1999 - 61,396 GT - 1,440 pax
AMSTERDAM - 2000 - 61,484 GT - 1,380 pax

The R-class ships are very similar to the S-class, but a bit longer and wider. Unlike the S-class, they are not all identical. The first of the four was ROTTERDAM. Specially designed for longer cruises, she is the fastest ship in the fleet. She also introduced new features like an alternative restaurant, concierge lounge, and Internet Cafe (all since retrofitted to the older ships as well). VOLENDAM and ZAANDAM followed; they are similar to ROTTERDAM but slower (the same speed as the S-class ships) and are a bit larger because the aft pool was moved up one deck, creating more indoor space on the deck below. Unlike ROTTERDAM, they were designed for yeoman duty in the Caribbean and Alaska though they also are suitable for longer cruises. Like the S-class ships, only decor separates these twins. The final R-class ship, like AMSTERDAM, like a hybrid of ROTTERDAM and VOLENDAM/ZAANDAM. She is faster than VOLENDAM or ZAANDAM but not as fast as ROTTERDAM. Like ROTTERDAM, she was built specially for longer voyages. ROTTERDAM and AMSTERDAM, together, are considered HAL's "flagships" and along with PRINSENDAM they usually do the longest and most prestigious cruises - the World Cruise along with the various Grand Voyages.

Vista-class

ZUIDERDAM - 2002 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
OOSTERDAM - 2003 - 81,769 GT - 1,848 pax
WESTERDAM - 2004 - 81,811 GT - 1,848 pax
NOORDAM - 2006 - 82,318 GT - 1,918 pax

These are the biggest and newest HAL ships currently in service. They were designed mainly for shorter (less than two weeks) cruises in the Caribbean, Alaska, and Europe. Like the S-class, they represented a departure from previous HAL ships in size and design. While bigger than HAL's other ships, they are still much smaller than some competitors' ships which are now sometimes bigger than 150,000 GT and can carry over 3,500 passengers (Royal Caribbean have now ordered a ship that will be 220,000 GT and carry over 5,000 passengers). These ships are notable because of the exceptionally high number of private balconies - over two-thirds of cabins have them. They are called the Vista-class because they are named after the points of the compass in Dutch - Zuid (South), Oost (East), West, and Noord (North). The first three are identical; NOORDAM incorporates a few design changes which make her larger and have a slightly higher passenger capacity.

Signature-class

This will be two (or more) ships which will be larger, improved versions of the Vista-class, much as the R-class can be considered improved versions of the S-class. Right now there are few details but they will probably be about 90,000 GT with a passenger capacity of about 2,000.
Hello Doug. Can you say more about the reasoning behind the Vista class ships design for shorter trips? Is this a mechanical design, service design or other?

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

On 7/25/2019 at 12:37 PM, RuthC said:

Exactly. Just go through the doors marked you're not supposed to go through them (it's all right to do when the bow is open), then through the doors about 4'-5' further on. The stairway coming from Lower Promenade is right in front of you then. Just head out to the door to the bow.

Hi, dear Ruth!

Does this work on the Maasdam?

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

3 hours ago, DrFUN said:

Hi, dear Ruth!

Does this work on the Maasdam?

Thanks,

Mary-Lou

Hi there, Mary-Lou. As a matter of fact, yes it does. It works that way on all the S- & R-class ships.
(works in reverse, too, when you want to use the restroom. it's a short walk to the one by the Front Desk.)

1 minute ago, RuthC said:

Hi there, Mary-Lou. As a matter of fact, yes it does. It works that way on all the S- & R-class ships.
(works in reverse, too, when you want to use the restroom. it's a short walk to the one by the Front Desk.)

THANKS, dear friend!

And nearby restroom are always appreciated. 😉

Hugs,

Mary-Lou

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2018 at 7:13 PM, 2018AGP said:

I'm just curious as to why? What makes her so different? Isn't the age of the ship starting to show?

The Prinsendam was our favorite ship, only about 800 passengers.  And most of them seasoned travelers.  While the ship was in service over 30 years, they are constantly being updated. Alas she is no more, sold to a German cruise line. I have heard rumors here that Holland has plans for a new Prinsendam.  If they do build one, we will try it out. Small enough for rivers and the Kiel canal. Also short enough to get under bridges so we could dock in Antwerp. 

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2008 at 3:19 PM, Happy Cruiser 6143 said:

What a very helpful thread! I have found the HAL site a bit difficult to use. Am considering a HAL cruise in the fall on the Canada-New England itinerary as Celebrity no longer does the interesting itinerary including a cruise of the Saguenay Fjord. Thanks to all who have contributed!

I would like to make a contribution too. We were parked behind the Westerdam in Ft. Lauderdale last February and I have a good shot of the rear of the ship. I've never been able to figure out how to post large photos. A thumbnail wouldn't be of much use to anyone. If someone can advise me how to post a large photo, I'll be happy to put it up.

May I offer this?

My wife and I were able to make a reservation for mid-September for that itinerary - Boston to Montreal to Boston. I know the Veendam tends to receive some negative remarks here, but that cruise was phenomenal. The ports were great, we took a simple inside and rarely needed an excursion. If you get it just right, you'll be lucky as us ... we were paying $399 per 7 day cruise. 

No, we didn't get a super dooper ship but the Veendam was great; service was just fine and the food was up to what we had received on a Solstice class Celebrity ship. Would have been nice but not necessary to have that balcony. 

Make that trip, especially if you like walking beautiful, historic places. My favorite of all time.

38 minutes ago, AlexCherie said:

May I offer this?

My wife and I were able to make a reservation for mid-September for that itinerary - Boston to Montreal to Boston. I know the Veendam tends to receive some negative remarks here, but that cruise was phenomenal. The ports were great, we took a simple inside and rarely needed an excursion. If you get it just right, you'll be lucky as us ... we were paying $399 per 7 day cruise. 

No, we didn't get a super dooper ship but the Veendam was great; service was just fine and the food was up to what we had received on a Solstice class Celebrity ship. Would have been nice but not necessary to have that balcony. 

Make that trip, especially if you like walking beautiful, historic places. My favorite of all time.

What a great tip! Thank you for sharing.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 1/2/2020 at 1:01 PM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

What a  great thread !

I thought I read somewhere that there is a "list" of which of the ships - in certain suites - have a shower/tub combination - and which have a completely separate shower 

Does anyone know ?

Is it just based on which class - how old - or ?

Thank You !! 

Konigsdam and Nieuw Statendam have fabulous walk in showers.

On 1/2/2020 at 11:01 AM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

What a  great thread !

I thought I read somewhere that there is a "list" of which of the ships - in certain suites - have a shower/tub combination - and which have a completely separate shower 

Does anyone know ?

Thank You !! 

Our Signature Suite on Nieuw Amsterdam had this set up....jetted tub/shower combo...and separate shower stall beside it.  I have pictures available if you would like.

Edited by CruisingAndDiving

On 1/3/2020 at 5:01 AM, GreenValleyDogWalker said:

What a  great thread !

Does anyone know ?

Thank You !! 

Signature suites and Neptune suites on Vista class ships (Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam) all have shower/tub and a separate shower (disabled suites excepted which have a roll in shower only).    Maasdam has the same in Neptune suites.   I have to add that the separate shower is not spacious - those having ample bodies may prefer to use the shower over the bath.

• 1 month later...

Hi:  My husband and I are going on our first HAL cruise next month.  I will be booking this cruise Saturday, but  its between two of their ships (one is the Veendem and the other is the Nieuw Amsterdam).  We have been on over 65 cruises ,but like I said, first time on HAL.  Could someone let me know the difference between the Veendem and the Nieuw Amsterdam - I would appreciate it.  We don't need the glitz and glamour, but we do like entertainment at night and just walking the deck after dinner.  Thank you very much.

1 hour ago, lolaletu said:

Hi:  My husband and I are going on our first HAL cruise next month.  I will be booking this cruise Saturday, but  its between two of their ships (one is the Veendem and the other is the Nieuw Amsterdam).  We have been on over 65 cruises ,but like I said, first time on HAL.  Could someone let me know the difference between the Veendem and the Nieuw Amsterdam - I would appreciate it.  We don't need the glitz and glamour, but we do like entertainment at night and just walking the deck after dinner.  Thank you very much.

Both ships offer the full promenade deck for walking.  Many of us like that 😉 

Veendam is a smaller ship so that means less entertainment but a more intimate feeling.  It also has no aft pool as some dork at HAL decided that the hot tubs were better.  Only two ships suffered that until everyone revolted 😉 

Nieuw Amsterdam is a larger ship (not large compared to other mass market lines but for those used to HAL - larger).  It offers the Tamarind Restaurant (Asian) which the Veendam will not have.

Many like the Nieuw Amsterdam because of that option and increased entertainment options.

For me, I prefer the smaller ships.  Rooms are larger, more crew to passenger ratio, etc.  I haen’t been on the Veendam - it has had some issues and I wasn’t keen on the aft.  But, I needed up on the Rotterdam which had a “birdbath” for it’s aft (the only other one it was done to) and I honestly enjoyed the ship and the crew.  So, I have decided never say never 😉 

But NIeuw Amsterdam has a lot of fans.  A LOT.  

If you were looking at one of the other smaller ships, I”d vote for them, but the Veendam has had issues.  Unlikely as it is for me to say this (those on CC know me ) if the choice was between those two ships, I’d choose the Nieuw Amsterdam.

JMO 

• 2 months later...
On 6/28/2019 at 8:06 AM, kazu said:

A 2 week dry dock!  We’re looking at sailing on her next year.  Do you happen to know if there are any major changes being made to her, by chance?  Thanks 🙂 

Does anyone have a current list showing past and future schedules of HAL’s dry docks? I am guessing this year’s plans will be scratched. Thank you for any input.