An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
This thread was started about a year ago, with much less known about the Eurodam. Can someone post some updated info about her?

Orcrone:

I see that you have sailed on both HAL and Carnival. Do you have a preference? Can you outline some of the pros/cons? We recently sailed Princess and I found that we prefer Carnival for various reasons (cabin size, entertainment options, bathrobes!). Thanks for any info.

Mary

Hello, Mary. I see that you're new here. So, you may not have noticed that this thread was started years ago, and has recently been brought forward.

Orcrone hasn't been around much and is not likely to see your post. He was a delightful poster when he was active here, and did contribute a lot. Please don't think he's ignoring you if he doesn't reply.

Thank you for the great pictures! I heard that the Zuiderdam was going into dry dock to be refurbished next month (April). Does anyone know about that? We're taking cruising on it in the Med. in July. As I look at its history, it hasn't been there yet. So, I'm just wondering about it....... :confused:

• 4 weeks later...

I am confused by the deck plans for the Maasdam: is there a Sky Deck? It isn't shown in the 2008 brochure. It is in the 2007 brochure but with an asterisk on the "Oasis" saying that the Oasis is only on the Veendam. But does that mean the deck isn't accessible at all, or just doesn't feature the Oasis?

• 2 weeks later...
Does the Zuiderdam have a launderette?

There are no self-service laundries on any of the Vista class ships. Nor will there be any on the Signature class ships.

The S- and R-class ships have self-service laundries at a cost of $2.00 for the washer, and $1.00 for the dryer. The Prinsendam laundries are included in the fare.

• 2 weeks later...

Am trying to learn all about Oosterdam. Would VB4178 or 4183 aft be good staterooms to book? Is the balcony partially covered? Thanks all.

ps If anyone has any stateroom suggestions let me know. We do want a balcony.

Am trying to learn all about Oosterdam. Would VB4178 or 4183 aft be good staterooms to book? Is the balcony partially covered? Thanks all.

ps If anyone has any stateroom suggestions let me know. We do want a balcony.

You might have better luck getting responses to this inquiry if you post it as a new thread rather than at the tail end of this one. Short answer: those are both good staterooms, with deeper balconies than the VB cabins on the side, and wonderful aft views. However, there is not much cover on them.

• 2 weeks later...

Great thread! Thanks so much to all.

Does anyone know what the April 2009 changes to the Oosterdam actually are? (Deck plans are posted on HAL for both up to early April 2009 and then a different set after late April 2009, suggesting a 3-week renovation of some sort.)

I'm especially interested in revisions of the aft VAs, about which I've read conflicting posts -- some indicating that the balconies there will be extended a bit (enlarged); others stating just the opposite (that the currently deeper balconies there will be shortened to conform to the side balconies).

We booked an AFT VA on Oosterdam for a May 2009 sailing -- and are hoping that it will indeed be the extended one. If not, what WILL be at the end of these aft decks? :confused:

Thanks for any input,

Mary-Lou (& Dave)

• 1 month later...
Does anyone know what the April 2009 changes to the Oosterdam actually are? (Deck plans are posted on HAL for both up to early April 2009 and then a different set after late April 2009, suggesting a 3-week renovation of some sort.)

I'm especially interested in revisions of the aft VAs, about which I've read conflicting posts -- some indicating that the balconies there will be extended a bit (enlarged); others stating just the opposite (that the currently deeper balconies there will be shortened to conform to the side balconies)

The changes to the stern will be just the same as were done for the Zuiderdam this year and the Westerdam last year. Deck 4 remains unchanged, so it will still have the very large, exposed verandahs. The size of the deck 5 verandahs will not change, but they will be completely covered (except for maybe a foot) because deck 6 will be extended such that its railing will be almost directly above deck 5's railing. Decks 7, 8, & 9 will also be extended. In this process, all of the verandahs on 6, 7, and 8 get considerably shortened, but not quite as short as the side balconies. :)

The changes to the stern will be just the same as were done for the Zuiderdam this year and the Westerdam last year. Deck 4 remains unchanged, so it will still have the very large, exposed verandahs. The size of the deck 5 verandahs will not change, but they will be completely covered (except for maybe a foot) because deck 6 will be extended such that its railing will be almost directly above deck 5's railing. Decks 7, 8, & 9 will also be extended. In this process, all of the verandahs on 6, 7, and 8 get considerably shortened, but not quite as short as the side balconies. :)

THANKS SO MUCH, jtl513!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

PRINSENDAM - Built 1988 - 37,983 Gross Tons - 793 passengers

The smallest and oldest HAL ship, she is in a class by herself. She generally does the longest and most expensive cruises. She is the only HAL ship not built for the line, she was built in 1988 as the ROYAL VIKING SUN, became SEABOURN SUN in 2000 and then PRINSENDAM in 2002. Among things that separate her from the rest of the HAL ships - she does not have a two-deck dining room or main lounge, an indoor/outdoor pool, or dedicated children's facilities. Her smaller, more intimate size and off-the-beaten path itineraries are appreciated by her increasingly loyal following.

Is the Prinsendam essentially the same ship as the former Renaissance vessels that currently sail for Oceania, Azamara & Princess? They all seem to be smaller, more intimate & classic ships. Are there any real differences? Many thanks.