An Introduction to the Ships and Classes of the HAL Fleet

Do I have the classes in correct order below and what is the meaning of the various classes; i.e., What does "S" class stand for, etc.,

Not quite, there's a few corrections to be made:

S-class. This stands for the first ship in the class (Statendam)

Statendam, Maasdam, Ryndam, Veendam

R-class stands for the first ship in that class (Rotterdam)

Rotterdam, Amsterdam, Volendam, Zaandam

Vista class. These ships are named for the directions on a map.

Zuiderdam (south), Oosterdam (west), Westerdam (west), Noordam (north).

Signature class. Eurodam (and soon) Nieuw Amsterdam

Prinsendam---a class all it's own.

Thanks RuthC, will update tomorrow

Joanie

Joannie - if you check out the very first post of this Sticky, all your questions will be answered!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=6689792&postcount=1

I saw that MightyQuinn, but it was not easy to find, and was not in a way that, I as a newbie, could translate easily.

I also want to have it on the same main page of the Hal Staterooms Page so people do not have to go looking for the info.

My deep thanks to RuthC and Copper10-8 for the info. I am getting ready to add it to the page as soon as I hit Submit on this message!!!

Joanie

All the information on the ships was wonderful, but can anyone figure out which captain will be mastering which ship at any given time? The best cruise we ever had in terms of a captain with a personality and a genuine interest in all his passengers was on the Ryndam, Thanksgiving 2008. His name was Frans Consen. I'd love to know where he is now - and I'd like to know what his schedule is so I could book a cruise to sail again with this guy. He is " Mr. Personality".

All the information on the ships was wonderful, but can anyone figure out which captain will be mastering which ship at any given time? The best cruise we ever had in terms of a captain with a personality and a genuine interest in all his passengers was on the Ryndam, Thanksgiving 2008. His name was Frans Consen. I'd love to know where he is now - and I'd like to know what his schedule is so I could book a cruise to sail again with this guy. He is " Mr. Personality".

I'm sure Copper10-8 or someone will be able to give more exacting detail. I just did a google search for him and came up with 2 results 1. is at Richwmn's web site which just does his photo and bios http://www.wa70.com/hal/consen.html and the other is a review that was last done in Feb 08 and has him as the Captain of the Statendam.

Joanie

• 3 weeks later...

As you can see, I have been on three different HAL ships and all three ships were wonderful and we had a great time. I loved the HUGE cabins we had on the old Rotterdam. And I liked the public areas and dining facilites of the Maasdam and Volendam. Of the three ships, I liked the Maasdam best because there were fewer passengers competing for a similar number of deck chairs by the pool. It's going to be interesting to see how the Maasdam has held up these past 13 years since I was last on her.

How nice to find a thread who's visitors are all friendly and helpful.:rolleyes:

Whatever you do, don't bring up dress code or smoking.:eek:

We will be on the Oosterdam November 21st.:o

LOL so you brought it up?? :D:D

You will love the Oosterdam!! She was our 1st DAM ship but will definitely not be our last one:D

Joanie

This sure is the place to get answers! I've been all over these boards recently because we are booked on a B2B on the Noordam starting 12/28. Somewhere on here, I think I remember reading something about balconies on higher decks looking down on to lower deck balconies on some of the HAL ships. Of course, now I can't find that thread again. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, on what ships? We are looking at a TA in April on Westerdam. Thanks

This sure is the place to get answers! I've been all over these boards recently because we are booked on a B2B on the Noordam starting 12/28. Somewhere on here, I think I remember reading something about balconies on higher decks looking down on to lower deck balconies on some of the HAL ships. Of course, now I can't find that thread again. Does anyone know if that is the case? If so, on what ships? We are looking at a TA in April on Westerdam. Thanks

Hi ptcruiser

Not trying to promote the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site here, BUT if you go to my main page you can see each of the HAL ships, with their back ends showing. With the back ends showing, you can get a general idea of which ships and/or their decks will have an over hang, which ships you'll be able to look down into the next deck down etc.... http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Hope this helps?

Joanie

Hi ptcruiser

Not trying to promote the HAL Stateroom/Cabins web site here, BUT if you go to my main page you can see each of the HAL ships, with their back ends showing. With the back ends showing, you can get a general idea of which ships and/or their decks will have an over hang, which ships you'll be able to look down into the next deck down etc.... http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/

Hope this helps?

Joanie

WOW!! This is fantastic!

Thanks so much, dear Joanie.

Appreciatively,

Mary-Lou

Joan Jett;) Good job on your stateroom site! First time I have been able to look at it in depth. Gotta get you some pics! Where are the Blackhearts?:cool:

Thank you sir!

I am definitely looking forward to your photos!!! If you have a URL, I can go and grab photos from there???

The Black Hearts are with the Real Joan Jett, who is hubby's niece. I, on the other hand may not have her money, but do have a black heart:D Or so hubby tells me:D:D

Joanie

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the informative thread! I recently returned from first cruise in over 10 years. We cruised on RCL and it was nice, but I'm thinking we'll try either HAL or Celebrity next. All we really want is an old-fashioned ship with a nice, quiet promenade deck that will take us all the way around, LOL.

And extra thanks, Copper10-8, for the history of what happened to the Rotterdam V. I cruised to Alaska with her in 1988 and have been wondering where she ended up. I'll have to visit her next time I'm in Rotterdam.

• 2 months later...

Thanks Ruth. Very useful information. One of the officers was explaining this at our Meet and Greet on the 12/21 Statendam and, being so new to HAL, all I remembered was that some ships are named for the directions on a map. Now I have it all down pat thanks to your post!

Edited by JWJs

• 3 months later...
Hi ptcruiser

Hope this helps?

Joanie

That's a DAM great website. :D

We just booked our first HAL cruise on the Eurodam for November 20, 2010 and just found your site. We are very excited to try HAL.

This was a great sticky. Even I learned a few things by reading them. I like all the Dam ships that I have been on especially the following three:

Statendam, Rotterdam, Volendam.

FYI I have been on all the "S" class ships, in the "R" I have been on the Rotterdam and Volendam. Hopefully I will soon be on the Zaandam. I have been on two VISTA ships so far" The Zuiderdam and the OOSTERDAM. I have been on two ships no longer in service: Nieuw Amsterdam and the old Westerdam ( Originally the Homeric.)

I know it has been a while since you posted the above but I am now faced with trying to choose - TODAY - between the Statendam or the Rynedam and wondered if you - or anyone else - could give me some direction. I am booking the 11 day Alaska repositioning cruise in Sept 2010, from Vancouver ending in San Diego. In the Rynedam I have Suite S016 and on the Statendam I have S024, both are on the Port side, which worried me a bit as we planned to spend a lot of time in our cabin looking at the views and I worried that Port side may not have enough. Also, heard that Port side was allowed to smoke on their verandahs which I didn't like. Any opinions out there please??? Thank you so much!

I know it has been a while since you posted the above but I am now faced with trying to choose - TODAY - between the Statendam or the Rynedam and wondered if you - or anyone else - could give me some direction. I am booking the 11 day Alaska repositioning cruise in Sept 2010, from Vancouver ending in San Diego. In the Rynedam I have Suite S016 and on the Statendam I have S024, both are on the Port side, which worried me a bit as we planned to spend a lot of time in our cabin looking at the views and I worried that Port side may not have enough. Also, heard that Port side was allowed to smoke on their verandahs which I didn't like. Any opinions out there please??? Thank you so much!

Currently, smoking is permitted in all staterooms and on all private verandahs regardless of port vs. starboard location.

Hi ptcruiser

Hope this helps?

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

HNLGAL again! Well, we finally settled on a cruise/ship mainly thanks to DBA amongst a few others.... Thanks to you too for your help on that. Now I have a quick question, we are booked in S024 which, by counting the cabins, appears to be Port side, fourth from the end of DVS cabins. I see there is that overhang above us... My question is, do you think that is a factor - or not - when we are doing an Alaska cruise? I can see that being a factor on a sun-bathing type cruise, but does it matter on an Alaskan cruise?

AND... if it does, do you know if we can still waitlist for another cabin in our category?

Also on Celebrity and Carnival they (pre)sell beverage/wine/soda packages or flights. A smattering of what they offer at a slightly discounted rate. Does HAL do that too or do we just have to order A La Carte so to speak?

Finally, is there any benefit to buying HAL's shore excursion for the White Pass Rail trip or the Juneau Tram trip? These seem to be the two trips that offer the most scenic views, which is really what we want. We cannot afford, nor do we want to traipse all over the place and I assume HAL's pricing would be costlier.

Thanks again Joanie - or anyone else who responds...

HNLGAL

024 is about 1 or 2 cabins away from the overhang. So that should not be a problem.

HAL does have a wine card, cocktail and coffee. They were to have been phased out some time ago. So no one knows exactly when they will be gone. You save a little on the cards. I checked and they are still available on HAL's website and should you buy one -- they will have to honor it. Those cards are to be replaced by new cards -- $50 and $100 gift cards -- which can be used to buy wine, cocktails, coffees in the Exploration's Cafe -- but there is no savings -- they just deduct the price on your card. Some TA's are giving these as gifts.

We used to get the wine cards, but when I heard that HAL had changed the brand of house wines that are the only ones included in the card, we waited until we were on the ship and tried the new brand -- Coastal Vintners. To us it was bitter tasting. Thus I always suggest people try the house wines before making a decision.