Dealing with "Difficult" Posts or Threads on the Holland America Board

Host Walt

Host walt.

Hello there and thank You for all you do!!!

I noticed in my Ice cream thread several posts missing. There is a lady who posts are sarcastic, (on this thread and others) I have seen her 'called out' over and over again.

My question to You, is can i block her? How would i do that?

Thank you kindly.

debbie/NC

• Like 1

Host walt.

Hello there and thank You for all you do!!!

I noticed in my Ice cream thread several posts missing. There is a lady who posts are sarcastic, (on this thread and others) I have seen her 'called out' over and over again.

My question to You, is can i block her? How would i do that?

Thank you kindly.

debbie/NC

No Walt, but here's what you do to block a user: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_troublesome_users

But it may be easier to do it this way:

Click on the User Id in a post and select 'View Public Profile'.

Under the avator/user id look for 'User List' with and arrow pointing down, click on 'User List' and select 'Add to Ignore List'

Edited by Boytjie
  • Like 1

No Walt, but here's what you do to block a user: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_board_usage#faq_vb3_troublesome_users

Under the avator/user id look for 'User List' with and arrow pointing down, click on 'User List' and select 'Add to Ignore List'

THANK YOU Peter...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I just recently discovered this function... and "Ignore" has become my best friend:cool: No more aggravation from silly posters who try to police the boards.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
When I logged on this am, I see that the thread that somebody started yesterday is totally gone....I added a note to it yesterday.

When I try to find it via my list of all my posts, it's totally gone from my list.

It's like the thread never existed.

What's up ?

I also have always wondered what happened to threads that seem to "disappear"...??? Any answers out there as to why?? :confused:

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
lorekauf answered your questions. But I just wanted to tell you that several weeks ago there were some really nasty things here and people jumping on people. For the first time in years I made an Ignore List and I am aware that they can read what I write but I don't have to read what they write.

Can they still be able to comment on what i write ? thanks

• Like 1

Can they still be able to comment on what i write ? thanks

yes, if you put someone on ignore - they still see your posts and can still comment. You just don't see their posts unless they are quoted when someone replies to them.

• Like 1

yes, if you put someone on ignore - they still see your posts and can still comment. You just don't see their posts unless they are quoted when someone replies to them.

What happens if a person you have on ignore starts a thread? Do you not see any of the thread or just not the ignored person's posts?

How would you see the title of the thread?

• Like 1

What happens if a person you have on ignore starts a thread? Do you not see any of the thread or just not the ignored person's posts?

How would you see the title of the thread?

I believe you still see the title, and you see their name, but you do not see anything that they posted.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
I also have always wondered what happened to threads that seem to "disappear"...??? Any answers out there as to why?? :confused:

Locked (or closed) threads

The general rule is that threads that start with a question that is fully answered over time will stay open for posts unless acrimony takes over and/or the topic is redirected away from the initial question. We will remove the posts that contravene our Guidelines and may also "lock" the thread to further posts. If the removed posts are the most current posts, the thread will drop down in the chronological order. A locked thread remains visible but is no longer available for additional posts.

Removed threads

We make every effort to "prune out" posts that are not consistent with our Guidelines so the basic thread can be saved. However in some cases the thread becomes so acrimonious shortly after being started that there's no point in "saving" it. In others the topic cannot be answered without running into a problem with our Guidelines (such as "Can anyone refer me to an on line agency that handles last minute deals?"). Other cases are where a thread has been started that duplicates another thread or that restarts a topic where the thread was closed (locked) or removed. In those cases the thread disappears completely from the forum but it can be restored in the very rare situation where it's deemed appropriate to restore it.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have no idea why I received a "block" from posting to my Roll Call but I have. My last post (Saturday, I believe) was thanking someone for reminding me how wonderful and powerful the song "Happy" is as it is my 3-yr old grandson's favorite song. My grandson has cancer. Is cancer a subject that is taboo in these forums? If so, then perhaps I really don't belong here. I emailed CC but have not received a response yet as to why this has happened. As much as I have enjoyed reading all of your helpful posts, right now I am not feeling much love for Cruise Critic. I'm sure this will get deleted as well but I feel better for having written it. Perhaps only people who have children with no disabilities get to post. CC you say what in response?

• Like 1

I have no idea why I received a "block" from posting to my Roll Call but I have. My last post (Saturday, I believe) was thanking someone for reminding me how wonderful and powerful the song "Happy" is as it is my 3-yr old grandson's favorite song. My grandson has cancer. Is cancer a subject that is taboo in these forums? If so, then perhaps I really don't belong here. I emailed CC but have not received a response yet as to why this has happened. As much as I have enjoyed reading all of your helpful posts, right now I am not feeling much love for Cruise Critic. I'm sure this will get deleted as well but I feel better for having written it. Perhaps only people who have children with no disabilities get to post. CC you say what in response?

Keep the faith and posting to our Roll Call!! Cancer is not a taboo subject here on these boards and while I have not seen any of your posts, other than those to our Roll Call and this one I am quoting, I ask that you keep the faith and hang in there:) Been in your position, and while yes, it is irritating as heck......You just have to hang in there:)

Joanie

• Like 1

I'm confused. Looking at your post history, your 'happy song' post is there on your Roll Call. It isn't deleted. If you were blocked from posting to a Roll Call you'd be blocked from posting here too. :confused:

• Like 1

If the originator of a thread personally blocks you can you still post to the thread? I'm not familiar enough with how blocking works. It seems odd that it would only be one post you cannot comment on. Are you getting an error? Have you tried it again? And to answer the question about cancer, it is not against the rules but there a good number of HAL posters that seem to get offended if you talk about it. I've had several try to tell me that I'm not allowed to talk about my condition because it upsets them. That's their problem though.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Edited by sherilyn70
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

I have mentioned this before, but it would be appreciated if the issue of "screaming" posts were addressed. I am talking about those posts that are in a HUGE font and then also "bolded". I have placed these posters on my ignore list, however they are still visible if another person quotes their post.

Apologize for my rant, but (as you can guess) this is really annoying.

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before' date=' but it would be appreciated if the issue of "screaming" posts were addressed. I am talking about those posts that are in a HUGE font and then also "bolded". I have placed these posters on my ignore list, however they are still visible if another person quotes their post.

Apologize for my rant, but (as you can guess) this is really annoying.[/quote']

While I understand your point unless the post does not conform to our guidelines. I suggest that you report especially bothersome posts by using the report function report.gif on the post.

• Like 1

ALL CAPS

Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many, so please double check your caps lock key before posting.

Rich Text & Graphic Images

The use of these features on our message boards can greatly enhance your online Cruise Board experiences. However, postings that are difficult to read, too BIG or too small, too light in color, etc., may be returned to you so that you may repost.

Thanks Host Walt. The above is directly from the CC guidelines.

• Like 1

I have mentioned this before' date=' but it would be appreciated if the issue of "screaming" posts were addressed. I am talking about those posts that are in a HUGE font and then also "bolded". I have placed these posters on my ignore list, however they are still visible if another person quotes their post.

Apologize for my rant, but (as you can guess) this is really annoying.[/quote']

Host Walt, I am in complete agreement with this poster. What they are describing has the same effect as having a group of people sitting around enjoying a quiet conversation and then having someone burst into the room screaming and shouting. It is extremely jarring and upsetting.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
ALL CAPS

Typing in ALL CAPITAL LETTERS is considering shouting by many' date=' so please double check your caps lock key before posting.

[b']Rich Text & Graphic Images[/b]

The use of these features on our message boards can greatly enhance your online Cruise Board experiences. However, postings that are difficult to read, too BIG or too small, too light in color, etc., may be returned to you so that you may repost.

Thanks Host Walt. The above is directly from the CC guidelines.

It seems the guidelines on this issue don't get get enforced. I have no wish to have posts removed, just to modify those that don't conform to the above and hurt the eyes.:( What about those that shout at you because the font large, bright and bolded?

• Like 1