Dealing with "Difficult" Posts or Threads on the Holland America Board

Host Walt

• 2 weeks later...
As you all know the mission of Cruise Critic is stated in our guidelines.

Occasionally someone posts something that is not in keeping with the spirit of this mission. When that happens the best thing to do is to let us know there's a problem by using the "Alert" triangle that appears on each and every post in the upper right corner.

When you click the icon it will create a template that you will complete explaining your concerns. Say whatever you wish in the template; only Host Joe and I (and Laura, our Manager) will see what you say. And what you say will be private and never communicated to anyone else without your permission.

The worst thing you can do is to reply to a bad post yourself which serves to do nothing good but will exacerbate the problem that you identified.

To be sure not every alert will result in an action such as a removal because the post may not be in contravention of our guidelines. So if you have any question at all about a post, you can always email us at HostWalt@cruisecritic.com or HostJoe@cruisecritic.com.

Hosts, what can one do when none of the suggestions given in this post resolves an issue?

What can one do when the request is ignored and the Cruise Critic member feels like there is a preference to one poster over another when a violation is continually ignored?

I've tried the Red Triangle, emails to Hosts and via emails to the entire Cruise Critic Hosts Community, and nothing.....

For example: A poster (read me) responds to someone's Opening Post ((Read you and this thread)) with something that poster wishes to share, and then another CC member comes in and gently (in their opinion) derides what has been posted. Then that same poster has all their Buddies come in to the thread and take it off subject by whatever means, keeping the negativity going even more off topic.

What can one poster do to protect themselves, even after putting that person, and their buddies, on the ignore list?

Please tell me what a poster is to do when they feel that nothing they are told to do works?

Needless to say, I am looking for ONLY the Hosts input into this problem.

Joanie

• Like 1

IRL_Joanie I know you said you specifically want a response from a host. It doesn't look like anyone has noticed your post yet. IMHO it would be a good move to red-triangle your post and request that someone respond.

If you really want an answer why not send an email to the address provided in the guidelines?

I know from personal experience that many posts that take issue with other posts won't be touched unless they violate a specific guideline. Opinions can be different so the best answer is to just ignore a post that you find to be objectionable just because the poster disagrees with your opinion.

• Like 1

If you really want an answer why not send an email to the address provided in the guidelines?

I know from personal experience that many posts that take issue with other posts won't be touched unless they violate a specific guideline. Opinions can be different so the best answer is to just ignore a post that you find to be objectionable just because the poster disagrees with your opinion.

Correct. We will never discuss specific issues that involve specific members openly on the boards. A private email to the Host of your forum or directly to the Community Manager is the most appropriate way to get answers.

• Like 1

It seems the guidelines on this issue don't get get enforced. I have no wish to have posts removed, just to modify those that don't conform to the above and hurt the eyes.:( What about those that shout at you because the font large, bright and bolded?

I started a thread on HAL about this very topic some time ago. The most common response for the large and bolded font was due vision problems with the poster. Seems many posters are unwilling or simply do not know how to adjust their own personal screens to accommodate their vision problems.

I started a thread on HAL about this very topic some time ago. The most common response for the large and bolded font was due vision problems with the poster. Seems many posters are unwilling or simply do not know how to adjust their own personal screens to accommodate their vision problems.

That reasoning doesn't make sense to me: if they bold and enlarge their own posts for vision issues, the rest of the posts are still normal sized and unbolded so how do they not have issues with that? :confused:

That reasoning doesn't make sense to me: if they bold and enlarge their own posts for vision issues, the rest of the posts are still normal sized and unbolded so how do they not have issues with that? :confused:

I thought the same thing. The thread was not well received at all at the time.

• Like 1

Agreed. One particular poster is on another website that I frequent, which does not allow any changes at all in font, and seems to do OK. I also noticed some of their posts were edited by the moderator last week to remove the bolding, which made it easier on the eyes.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

I am affraid your little triangle has issues at the moment for me

this message keeps poping up when I send the message for the first time

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 48 seconds.

you can wait till you no what freezes over it just keeps saying the same thing

shakes head !

• Like 1

I am affraid your little triangle has issues at the moment for me

this message keeps poping up when I send the message for the first time

This forum requires that you wait 60 seconds between reporting posts. Please try again in 48 seconds.

you can wait till you no what freezes over it just keeps saying the same thing

shakes head !

Some of the board functions are not working properly at this time.

If you can't report a post using the triangle, feel free to send me an email. Be sure to include a link to the post you are reporting and provide a brief explanation of the issue.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

You moderators have such a tough job and do take action/remove posts when you determine it is appropriate. If it is our comment/response/post that is deleted we should take note as it reaffirms it was not within community guidelines. I hope that CC would rather have members err on using the red triangle too much vs. not using it when the comment/response/post does not meet guidelines especially when it is personal attack or comments against/about a member. I like when from time community guidelines are posted or clarified - it is helpful.

It is hard for me to understand why some members have been harassed or had negative personal and nasty comments about them by one or more of the same members over a long period of time yet those who do this are allowed to continue posting. Maybe I am just not aware that these offending individuals were at least temporarily suspended.

Edited by qsuzi

My replies are in red below.

...I hope that CC would rather have members err on using the red triangle too much vs. not using it when the comment/response/post does not meet guidelines especially when it is personal attack or comments against/about a member. You nailed it. Whenever you feel a post or thread may not conform to CC guidelines, please report it. We will focus on the post and the context and will take action if necessary. We prefer dealing with personal attacks as quickly as possible so we urge everyone to use the report triangle. The triangle reports we Hosts receive always get immediate attention where an email or just a post may not be dealt with quickly. We really prefer more rather than fewer reported posts.

I like when from time community guidelines are posted or clarified - it is helpful. Thanks. We usually post guideline reminders as a general explanation why deleted posts are now missing.

It is hard for me to understand why some members have been harassed or had negative personal and nasty comments about them by one or more of the same members over a long period of time yet those who do this are allowed to continue posting. Maybe I am just not aware that these offending individuals were at least temporarily suspended. That's usually the case. Permanent bans are very rare because they are antithetical to our objective which is to provide a meaningful forum to all who enjoy cruising and talking about it. Remember, CC is not just another internet discussion forum. Many of our members are friends off line and many others have met each other on roll calls and meet & greet events on board. However we do issue "time outs" (temporary suspension of posting privileges) when called for.

Edited by Host Walt

My replies are in red below.

Thank you so very much for your response and for being a moderator. I very much appreciate your response to clarify, guide, or help me better understand the community guidelines.

• Like 2