Port or Starboard for Alaska Hubbard Glacier cruise?

mcfaddensfarm

I am looking into booking an Alaskan cruise in summer of 2007. Currently I'm looking at the Serenade of the Seas, leaving from Vancouver & doing the Inside Passage, Icy Strait Point, Hubbard Glacier, Skagway & Juneau. We've heard that it's best to cruise Alaska in a balcony cabin so you always have the opportunity to check out the scenery, even if you're back in your cabin. But what I'm wondering is whether it's best to be on Port or Starboard side. Has anyone done a similar cruise & have advice for me? Thanks!

It's my understanding you want to be starboard for cruising northbound and port for southbound cruises. It won't matter for Hubbard, but it will for the rest of your trip.

I am cruising southbound in August and was told to be on the port side of the ship.

From reading these threads, the aft cabins are also highly sought after - you can see scenery on both sides since you're at the back of the ship and can look in both directions.

It's my understanding you want to be starboard for cruising northbound and port for southbound cruises. It won't matter for Hubbard, but it will for the rest of your trip.

I am cruising southbound in August and was told to be on the port side of the ship.

From reading these threads, the aft cabins are also highly sought after - you can see scenery on both sides since you're at the back of the ship and can look in both directions.

We just got back from Alaska on the Oosterdam. We had a starboard balcony cabin going northward. This side of the ship gets the sunrise over the mountains and is breathtaking. I am 100% glad for the starboard side for us, plus it would be warmer on this side. The morning that we were to arrive in Juneau it was nice enough that we had breakfast delivered and ate at our table on the balcony. We were passing icebergs and hearing whales blowing and coming up for air.

As far as the aft cabins we met a couple that had one on the sixth floor and they said never again because of the vibrations from the propellers. They did have that great balcony but had trouble sleeping.

Missygirl

Another thing about the aft cabins - if you are prone to motion sickness (I am :(, this is not the place to be) mid-ship is better.

Missygirl - your trip sounded wonderful. I can't wait!

Another thing about the aft cabins - if you are prone to motion sickness (I am :(, this is not the place to be) mid-ship is better.

Missygirl - your trip sounded wonderful. I can't wait!

It went beyond anything that I could have asked for. I haven't in my lifetime ever saw such beautifu snow-cappedl mountains. Hubbard Glacier was the highlight. We arrived around noon and the sun was shinning. We got really close they said. Then you could feel every once in a while when the glacier thundered the ship trembled, then some part of it would break away. I could just go on and on. It is somewhere that all cruisers should try once.

Missygirl

Thanks for all of your helpful replies! Missygirl, that description gave me goosebumps & now I REALLY want to get this cruise planned! You'll probably see me around this Alaska board, asking lots of questions!:D Thanks again!

I am so glad I read these posts!!! I am leaving this Saturday northbound from Vancouver to Whittier on the Sapphire Princess and have a starboard balcony room on the Caribe deck. Looks like my TA really DID know what she was talking about when she booked it for us!!!! I have been curious to know if it was true that both the Caribe deck and the starboard side are the best on the northbound trip. I am very excited!!!! Thanks for sharing.

I have an inside booked for our June 2007 cruise on the Pacific Princess. As much as I'd like to use the money saved for the rest of the trip, the idea of going out on the balcony at 5 a.m. as we cruise through Tracy Arm is a lot more appealing then getting dressed and going out on deck at that hour! Have to convince my DH that the extra money for a balcony would be worth it.

We've had inside rooms for warm weather cruises and I did not mind at all - figured we'd only use the room to sleep and shower anyway - and the only scenery would be water as far as you could see. But with all the incredible scenery in Alaska, we figured this was the cruise to splurge on. I have visions of having that first cup of coffee on my balcony every morning, bundled up and watching snow capped mountains as we cuise.

I know that it doesn't make any difference at Hubbard if you are port or starboard but when you port at the stops will you come in on port side.

When we took our Caribbean cruise we thought we would come in on port side but it was starboard with the exception of one. Really is nice to be able to sit on your balcony and see as you come into port and also while you are ported there.

Archived