Rental car company for Transportation from Houton Hobby to Port of Galveston

hallebelle

I asked that question on another thread and some said that renting a car and parking it at one of the hotels that have free parking is almost as cheap as doing the 1 way rental. This way you have your car there to head back to Houston after the cruise.

Guest YesitDonna

To keep a car for a week is as cheap as a one way rental? I have never heard of such a thing! I guess I must be used to rentals in Florida. I rented a car in Ft Lauderdale for one day and dropped off in Miami. It didn't cost me anything more then the regular day rental.

I rented from Enterprise at Hobby. Reservations said therer would be a drop off charge, but I wasn't charged one. Drove from Hobby to Hotel in Galveston and kept the car overnight (for liquor runs and such) for the total of about $25. If they had charged drop off, I think it might have been $50. Still not a bad deal. And Enterprise shuttles you to the ship.

Note: Enterprise location where you drop the car off is not at the port - only a pick up location there, but they will shuttle you to the pier as mentioned.

Call Enterprise and get the local number for the Enterprsie desk at Hobby and at Galveston. Make separate reservations. Get e-mail confirmations. There is NO drop-off charge in Galveston. That is wrong information. You do pay an extra amount for the vehicle from the port back to the airport because the PORT charges ERAC a usage fee.

Dial 1-800-RENTACAR and ask for the Hobby Airport location. The Airport can then give you the phone number for the correct Galveston branch.

It's easy and especially nice if you're arriving a day early and want some wheels to tool around Galveston Isle.

LL

YesitDonna,

I don't know how to "link" other posts to here but check my thread "galveston questions". That is where they talk of keeping the car for the week. It didn't make any sense to me either but if that is the case we will probably do that. If anyone has any further info, we would appreciate it.

• 1 month later...

If you called the 800#, they will tell you they don't do 1-way rentals but... if you call again & use the local # to IAH Enterprise you can... I have a resrvation done that way (mini-van). You also have to talk dircetly to the Enterprise location at the port in order to secure a 1-way rental the other direction.

As a side note - keeping my rental for a week was WAY more than 2 1-way rentals... maybe because I have booked a big car... or because the rental would be 8 days instead of the 'weekly' rate. Not sure, but it was definitely more to do it that way.

Hertz, used to have an office in Galveston, and they did rent one-way with no drop off. When we did it two years ago, they had a shuttle to take us to the port, told us to take a cab back to the office and then reimbursed us for the cab fare.

I have two one-way rentals from Hobby to Galveston in late August. They told me there was a drop off fee in Galveston, but even so my total is about $120. Way less expensive than $50.00 per person roundtrip for 4 people through Galvestonlimo. When I first called the one-way rental number she mistakenly quoted me a one week rental and it was quite a bit more, but I don't recall the exact amount. Over $200 I think.

• 1 month later...
I rented from Enterprise at Hobby. Reservations said therer would be a drop off charge, but I wasn't charged one. Drove from Hobby to Hotel in Galveston and kept the car overnight (for liquor runs and such) for the total of about $25. If they had charged drop off, I think it might have been $50. Still not a bad deal. And Enterprise shuttles you to the ship.

Note: Enterprise location where you drop the car off is not at the port - only a pick up location there, but they will shuttle you to the pier as mentioned.

Was there any trick to not getting charged the one way fee? I just called the local enterprise office at Hobby and they also mentioned the one way fee. Not that it's that much but why pay it if you don't have to right?

I have a 1-way booked through Enterprise from Hobby to Galveston in October. Local office said there *is* one-way available but there is drop off fee.

Local Hertz at Hobby said there is no way to drop off a car at the port on Sunday morning. So, no one-ways for Hertz from Hobby. Funny... They said they can do one-ways FROM the port TO Hobby. How do they get the cars at the port then? :rolleyes:

I have a 1-way booked through Enterprise from Hobby to Galveston in October. Local office said there *is* one-way available but there is drop off fee.

Local Hertz at Hobby said there is no way to drop off a car at the port on Sunday morning. So, no one-ways for Hertz from Hobby. Funny... They said they can do one-ways FROM the port TO Hobby. How do they get the cars at the port then? :rolleyes:

I just booked the 1-way with Enterprise. The 1-way from Hobby to Galveston is going to cost me $70.21 which includes a drop off fee of $40.

The return 1-way from Galveston to Hobby is only $42.35 and there is no drop off fee.

The only hiccup in this grand scheme of mine is that you have to be to the galveston drop off before 1pm on Saturday or you miss the free shuttle from enterprise to the terminal. You can still drop off the car but you'll have to pay for a taxi.

Hope this helps out someone - 14 days til I shove off!

Yep, I believe that is exactly what I was quoted. The 1:00 drop off in Galveston shouldn't be a problem, you'll want to be on the ship before then anyway, right? Sounds like you will be boarding the Ecstasy as we are disembarking. It will be nice to have the car the evening and morning before boarding to run a few errands and drive to the Seawall for dinner.

We rented a car from Hertz from Hobby to Galveston. Very easy to do. We flew in a night early to avoid the rush. There is a drop off location for the cars and a shuttle to take you to the pier. If there is no shuttle there anymore, all of the cab companies know of this location and will take you to the pier. Just take the number with you to yellow cab in Galveston.

We booked a bus ride back to Hobby with Carnival (less trouble, early debarkation, available on their website as a shore excursion). It was nice not to have to re-rent and drive to the airport, as we were in the early stages of post-cruise depression.

I have never heard off the drop off fee, but I assume that this is very prosperous for Hertz.

Good luck and happy cruising!!!

Archived