Comments about the NCL Jewel....

F11

It looks big,looks new,looks very nice.Any negative comments or is it the best in NCL fleet?

It is the best right now; but Pride of Hawaii is supposed to be just as nice or nicer as well the the Pearl will be awesome. Like anything else, the Jewel isn't perfect. We found the outside cabins a little crowded as far as the bed situation. There was plenty of storage, the bathrooms are wonderful and the ship is really bright, colorful and fun. I was prefared for it to be gaudy, but not so; the decorators knew just how to combine everything and tie the little details together. I have seen a few negative reviews and remarks, there will always be those who can find fault, overall you couldn't ask for anything nicer. Oh, one complaint some had, didn't faze DH and me: there is no atrium: big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We and our friends were both in a BA category on deck 10 so my comments relate just to them.

The only really major complaint we had was the lighting in the cabins themselves. Very dim so at night it was hard to read anything unless you were sitting directly next to a wall light. Oh, and don't try to turn around in the toilet area of your bathroom (love the sliding door but there's no room!)....it's an impossibility even if you are skinny and on taller people I've heard their knees are into the wall while seated (at least that's what one of our friends complained about on the cruise).

I will try to put together my first NCL review soon, but I do agree with the previous poster regarding light and bathrooms. The lighting didn't bother us as we read in bed before retiring, and we retire as soon as we return to our room. We had a balcony on #9. We like to sleep with our drapes open so the sun awakens us, and our neighbors evidently didn't find how to turn their balcony light off, so that was a bother with the light spilling. The bathrooms are clausterphobic. Sliding doors to the shower and toilet make it impossible to dry your feet without opening the outside door, and I couldn't even get into my clothes conveniently without opening it. We are average sized, and I have no idea how the large people on the ship coped. Since the doors are not opaque, there seems no purpose in them.

If you like swirls of magenta, orange, and turquoise, on the floor, you'll be in hog heaven -- personally, it made me want to upchuck, but it was the only decor that really nauseated me. The rest of the ship -- dining venues, particularly -- were palatable.

My first NCL sailing was on the Star, followed by the Dawn shortly therafter.

I was immensely impressed with both ships, including the 'WOW' factor of their vastly impressive artium, and while it's not really a complaint, I confess to missing the soaring glass-enclosed elevators that took your gaze to the top of a huge interior space. The Jewel is using most of that area for additonal staterooms, and more revenue is always good, but the dramatic "First Impression" is missing.

Also missing on the Jewel is a cinema (located on Deck 12 near the Library on the Dawn and Star), and the Jewel's Spinaker Lounge's reconfigured seating accommodates fewer people than on Star & Dawn -- but is perhaps more aesthetically pleasing. The buffet on Deck 12 is, in my view, a vast improvement over the equivalent space on Star and Dawn (easier to use, more seating, prettier).

Overall, the Jewel is currently NCL's crown jewel, at least until the Pearl opens for business in December.

We loved the Jewel.

Having said that...we love the Dawn more.

We missed Impressions restaurant which is on the Dawn but not on the Jewel.

Also enjoyed dining with the Masters in LeBistro on the Dawn. Nothing like it.

We also like the lay-out of the Dawn more than the Jewel.

They are both beautiful ships with superb staff.

We await Shoreguy's impression of the Pearl.

He does great comparisons of the ships.

We loved the Jewel.

Having said that...we love the Dawn more.

Cosmopolitan summed up my views as well, for the reasons stated.

However, the Dawn (and Star) have no equivalent to the Jewel's Courtyard Suites on Deck 14 -- which the Pearl also will have. I'm guessing that anyone fortunate enough to book space in a Courtyard suite will judge the ship pretty much on the basis of that experience. I was given a brief tour of the Jewel's Courtyard last fall, and was extremely impressed!

I had a great time on the Jewel. The only negative comment I would make is that the bedding was lousy which is unbelieveable for a new ship, especially since I was on one of the very first sailings. I give high marks for everything else. I really enjoyed it.

Can you elaborate on the bedding? Is it just the sheets or pillows or

the actual mattress? Can you request a mattress pad like on some other cruises I have been on?

Thanks,

Robin

Loved the Jewel! We usually prefer Celebrity and RCCL over NCL(have sailed Leeward,Norway,Majesty,Sea-all older ships)but decided to try the brand new Jewel and are so glad we did.She is a beautiful ship and. We had BA balcony cabins and a mini-suite and were very comfortable and had plenty of space. We also enjoyed the food more than on any other NCL ship.Tried all the alternate restaurants and liked some better than others. Bars and lounges very attractive without being gaudy.Pool area was adequate with waterslide and separate toddler pool which was completely shaded.We wouldn't hesitate to book another cruise on the Jewel.

Can you elaborate on the bedding? Is it just the sheets or pillows or

the actual mattress? Can you request a mattress pad like on some other cruises I have been on?

Thanks,

Robin

I LOVED the bedding. All white and comfy. An all-in-one top sheet/down comforter, feather pillows (on request). The mattress is firm but if you prefer, you can ask your room steward for an egg crate to put over it. I liked the mattress just the way it was. Everything was very nice, IMHO.

Archived