Captain Leif Otto Bang -- Navigator of the Seas

SF

Hi Tj,

Just wanted to say Hello from Ernie & Bev, we had dinner with you and your Husband on the 5/10/03 sailing of the NOS. One of our cruise highlights that will be a memory for a long time. Hope all remains well with you and the Captain. Have you seen are huge Freedom posting site??

Hope you and Capt. Bang have a wonderful Hoilday and a Healthy Happy New Year.

Ernie & Bev,

How are things going we leave tonight for our first vacation off the shup in 6 years. Have a Great Hoilday and a Happy new Year.

Tj

Just a little interesting story I have with Captain Bang. Last year my family and I were on the Navigator of the Seas and during a sea day we decided to do a little exploring. We decided to go up to deck 9 or 10(I can't remember which) and check out the big suites. Ya know just look at them and dream. Anyways, we were walking down the hallway and ran into the Captain. He asked what we were up to and informed of that our curiosity got the better of us. So, after our small chat he invited us into his cabin! Imagine, the captain's cabin! Now I must say, this was nicer than our house. He had marble floors, fireplace, huge kitchen and living room, and all of the comforts of home. It was very, very, nicely done. I just thought I might share my experience with you all about the captain.

Trnnis,

It is the Captain's home for 6 months of the year.The only thing you got wrong was there is no fireplace, fire hazard. Other then that you are right.

Tj

TJ,

It is good to find this thread again. I wanted to thank you and the Captain for attending our Meet & Mingle on the Nov 27 Western cruise. It was fun to finally meet people that I had been posting with for several months.

It was an honor to meet you both. Also, I thought that the new menu was very enjoyable. Please pass on my compliments to the head chef.

Thank you. Ron

• 4 months later...

Tj, I just had to share....we are getting ready to go on another cruise on the Vision this October, and two of us on the CC roll call have been on the Nordic Prince. I pulled out my old album and staff lists, and there is your husband, in living black and white....he was the captain on our 3/27/89 cruise of the Nordic Prince out of New York to Bermuda. His staff captain was Tore Nervik and Chief Engineer Einar Pile. Even funnier is the fact that a month ago we were on the Island Princess (sorry RCI) and the Cruise Director was David Cole, who is also listed on the staff list from this 3/27/89 sailing of the Nordic Prince. Your husband had dark hair back then, and I had brown hair, it is totally white now.....how time flies!! We have sailed with him on other ships over the years, but not the Navigator, I'm thinking maybe the Song of America or the Grandeur or the Splendour, I don't remember. I do remember his personality and the way he referred to himself as Capt Bang Bang. Hope you are doing well, and don't mind a little reminiscing.....

Tj, I just had to share....we are getting ready to go on another cruise on the Vision this October, and two of us on the CC roll call have been on the Nordic Prince. I pulled out my old album and staff lists, and there is your husband, in living black and white....he was the captain on our 3/27/89 cruise of the Nordic Prince out of New York to Bermuda. His staff captain was Tore Nervik and Chief Engineer Einar Pile. Even funnier is the fact that a month ago we were on the Island Princess (sorry RCI) and the Cruise Director was David Cole, who is also listed on the staff list from this 3/27/89 sailing of the Nordic Prince. Your husband had dark hair back then, and I had brown hair, it is totally white now.....how time flies!! We have sailed with him on other ships over the years, but not the Navigator, I'm thinking maybe the Song of America or the Grandeur or the Splendour, I don't remember. I do remember his personality and the way he referred to himself as Capt Bang Bang. Hope you are doing well, and don't mind a little reminiscing.....

dobie,

Out of the 3 officers you mentioed 2 have retired .Leif is the only one still at sea. Hope to meet you before he retires on the Navigator.

Tj

Hello Tj

Is there any chance the Captain will be on the New Years Eve Cruise on the Navigator this year? He was our captain on our first cruise (back when Sovereign of the Seas did a 7 day cruise) and we enjoyed him immensely. Our friends that cruise with us are also coming New Years, along with all the kids - (Their youngest one is nicknamed "Captain Bang" due to what happened on that cruise) It would be a treat to meet him again.

EC

Hello Tj

Is there any chance the Captain will be on the New Years Eve Cruise on the Navigator this year? He was our captain on our first cruise (back when Sovereign of the Seas did a 7 day cruise) and we enjoyed him immensely. Our friends that cruise with us are also coming New Years, along with all the kids - (Their youngest one is nicknamed "Captain Bang" due to what happened on that cruise) It would be a treat to meet him again.

EC

Yes Captain Bang will be on the ship for New years this Year.Hope to see you and remind us that you are there.

Tj

Tj, sounds as tho he really enjoys what he is doing!! Now that the above poster said he met him on the Sovereign, we were on her way back when she did 7 day cruises as well! I'm going to have to go thru my albums....don't know if we'll meet you before retirement, we tried the Adventure and she was just so big!! Even tho we had a corner aft balcony cabin, which was wonderful, we just enjoy the smaller ships. It's all a personal choice! If I was living on a ship I'm sure I'd want BIG...if I'm visiting I like a covered indoor pool and a more intimate atmosphere......Sorry he's not "downsizing" and moving to the Vision in Oct!!

Tj, sounds as tho he really enjoys what he is doing!! Now that the above poster said he met him on the Sovereign, we were on her way back when she did 7 day cruises as well! I'm going to have to go thru my albums....don't know if we'll meet you before retirement, we tried the Adventure and she was just so big!! Even tho we had a corner aft balcony cabin, which was wonderful, we just enjoy the smaller ships. It's all a personal choice! If I was living on a ship I'm sure I'd want BIG...if I'm visiting I like a covered indoor pool and a more intimate atmosphere......Sorry he's not "downsizing" and moving to the Vision in Oct!!

Dobie ,

Captain Bang built the Vision of the Seas and sailed her from 1998 to 2002. then he moved to Finland to build the Navigator. he always liked the smaller ships and the Sun Viking is his favorite even if it is now a Ferry.

Best regards,

Tj

We left the Navigator on 4/23 and have to say I never saw or met the man (we were still eating during any parties). Also, don't know if it is the PA system on the ship but I could never understand a work during his addresses. I will say it was the smoothest cruise I have been on, our first in the western caribbean. Do not know if the captain over sees the dining room but there is a major management problem there unlike any ship I have been on.

We left the Navigator on 4/23 and have to say I never saw or met the man (we were still eating during any parties). Also, don't know if it is the PA system on the ship but I could never understand a work during his addresses. I will say it was the smoothest cruise I have been on, our first in the western caribbean. Do not know if the captain over sees the dining room but there is a major management problem there unlike any ship I have been on.

Gary,

He eats in the dinning room 3 nights a week and the rest in the windJammer . He walks the Royal Promanade at least 5 to 10 times a day is at the repeaters party and does the Welcome aboard speech from the bridge on the Royal Promanade.Was in the Ixtapa lounge for and hour for picture taking before the speech.Went up and took pictures with the children. The Mix and Mingle they gave away a seat at his table when he was there.

So I am wondering where you were that you didn't see him.

Plus you also got a smooth ride from him.

Tj

We will be on this sailing, and I have been reading these boards with all the activity of cruises this last couple weeks. Sure have been some freak things happen.

We are definitely looking forward to meeting Capt. Bang on this cruise. I have read so much about him. We would love to meet you also. We were on the Explorer in may/03, and have great pictures of the captain. To date, that was our best cruise, with the jewel from 1/31/05 coming in second. But I am sure the Navigator will top our list when we get back!

We should be at the Meet and Mingle, as long as we get the invitation ahead of time, and will also be at the welcome back party. We also like to stroll the promenade the night of the captains ball, and meet the captain. That is always the highlight of our cruise. We just love the Voyager class ships.

Hope to meet you soon, and Cap't Bang too!

Gary,

He eats in the dinning room 3 nights a week and the rest in the windJammer . He walks the Royal Promanade at least 5 to 10 times a day is at the repeaters party and does the Welcome aboard speech from the bridge on the Royal Promanade.Was in the Ixtapa lounge for and hour for picture taking before the speech.Went up and took pictures with the children. The Mix and Mingle they gave away a seat at his table when he was there.

So I am wondering where you were that you didn't see him.

Plus you also got a smooth ride from him.

Tj

Hi, it is a big ship, we ate in the dining room every night, 4th deck, dinner took us from 6 to 8 or so everynight, the full 2 hours to get our food etc. From there is was up to the kids club and getting ready for the show. We did not find the Ixtapa lounge until the 5th night of the cruise and never heard of the mix and mingle or the welcome aboard thing. The cocktail party and repeaters party were both at 7:30 and we were at dinner, other ships we have been on at them before main seating but no biggie. Also we only got to the royal prom a few times during the day, most of the time it was after 11 PM when we were there.

As I said earlier, it was the smoothest ride on a ship that we have ever had, I never fell off a chair or walked into a wall all week.

Tjukka-

I have sailed RCCL several times but never on the Navigator. I have heard wonderful things about Captain Bang and yourself. I think I understood you correctly that the two of you will not be onboard for the Sept. 24th sailing. Is that right? May I ask who will be in his place and a little about them?

Thanks if you can help me. I just like to know a little about the captain before I meet him. Also, I had a fabulous captain onboard the Explorer the first time I went in 2002. I can't remember who he was - only that his name was close to three or four letters (very short first name) and perhaps started with a vowel like an O or a U? Any clue who that was? He was GREAT, too.

Hello TJ,

I just returned (including an extended post cruise vacation) from my April 9, 2005 sailing on the Navigator of the Seas. Captain Bang is the Best, his crew is extraordinary, and the cruise was superlative.

Captain Bang and I spoke a few times during the cruise: at the Meet & Mingle, at the C&A repeaters party, and at the C&A Dinner post-meal. (I was sitting at the next table starboard, 318.) -- I also viewed Captain Bang at a few other events and locales, such as seeing him sitting at the Windjammer.

Although we regrettably were unable to make your acquaintance this time, I eagerly look forward to the pleasure and honor of meeting you in a future sailing.

I hope you had a great time at the wedding and all is wonderful for you and yours.

Pending a separate communication from me to Captain Bang, I have contacted RCCL for a suitable email address for me to forward the very nice photos of him (which I promised him I would do!)

Until the Captain receives my other email or note, please pass on to him my hello and also our thanks with much appreciation.

Sincerely and best regards,

-Roger-

Email: rssfromsf@hotmail.com

(Cruise Critic "RSS from SF",

Navigator of the Seas 4/9/05: Table 318 Main, Cabin 9390, Folio 41115198)

TJ, I think I forgot to check in on this thread after our Navigator cruise. I echo many of the above posters in saying how much we enjoyed meeting Capt. Bang. He is everything good we've heard and more. The crew were a credit to his leadership and the ship itself was wonderful. :)

Ooh! Maybe Tjukka is busy and we will hear from her less?

Hope not! I was enjoying the conversations...

I am on the ship and have been her since Saturday. So I get to the computer less. So you were right .

Tj

TJ, I think I forgot to check in on this thread after our Navigator cruise. I echo many of the above posters in saying how much we enjoyed meeting Capt. Bang. He is everything good we've heard and more. The crew were a credit to his leadership and the ship itself was wonderful. :)

Hstrybuf,

Thank you and have printed your message for him.

Regards,

TJ

RSS from SF,

This sort of off topic but I see you were in cabin 9390. We are in that cabin in July. How was it? We picked it because we are traveling with a group and need close inside cabins. A sort of random question but did the balcony door stay open by itself? I have only had a side balcony cabin before with the sliders. Thanks!!!

Tjukka -

If you have a moment (and know that is limited being back on ship!) I have a few questions for you a few posts back about a September sailing. Any info you can give me about those questions would be greatly GREATLY appreciated!

Enjoy your time on the ship and say hello to all the fabulous staff!!

Heather

Archived