Rhapsody-Shorts in dining room?

Are you able to wear shorts in the dining room on the nights that are not formal or semi-formal nights? Someone told me that you had to wear dresses or pants every night, please tell me that isn't so. I understand no cut offs...but what about nice shorts?

Any input is appreciated. Also, can anyone link me to the dress code per night on the Rhapsody? Thanks!

What about capris for women on the casual nights...and are shorts okay for children 7,9,14?

Children are suppose to follow the same guidelines as adults. But I would say that Capris are just fine for women. I have a much more casual attitude about the whole dress code thing. But you will see many women wearing capris. Just be comfortable and have a good time. As long as you are not sloppy, you will be okay.

Capris are fine for the ladies - except on formal nights - shorts a no-no any night. While not always turned away for shorts as I have seen them in the dining room, you do run the possibility of not being allowed in. The guidelines clearly state no shorts in the dining room. Inexpensive docker-type pants are comfortable and won't break the bank.

Capris are fine and not considered shorts. There have been spotty reports of people being turned away from the dining room for wearing shorts. If you would like to eat there long pants are a good idea. You can always eat in the Windjammer in shorts.

The shorts rule does not apply to breakfast and lunch btw.

Capris, but dressy capris! Something you can wear heels and a fancy shirt with. Not the kind of capris that have pockets all over the legs and drawsting cuffs! This is a formal dining room, even when it's not "formal" night. Linen tableclothes, silverware, cut glass, waiters in "formal" uniforms. Shorts just aren't the proper thing to wear. You can wear shorts for breakfast and lunch in the dining room. If you must wear shorts at dinner, the Windjammer buffet allows it.

We have three children who have been cruising with us for many years. The only time they wore shorts in the dinning room at dinner was when they were somewhat todlers-age 2,3 and 4. Any older than that--for the boys--they wear dockers--except on formal night--they wear a suit or dress pants and tie---for my daughter--she wore nice slacks or dress--on formal night a party type dress or formal teen age type dress. Now, my youngest is 13, almost 14--All 3 kids never complained and still don't--they just get dressed. I guess they feel how special the cruise experience is and feel much better about fitting in with the crowd.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate knowing that it is only pants/dress for dinner...and during breakfast or lunch we can wear shorts if we need. We all like to dress up, but I was going to have to change what we packed/bought if we had to wear pants for all 3 meals each day. :D

I have seen my share of "docker" type shorts in the dining room....HOWEVER...that has only been for breakfast or lunch....NEVER at dinner.

But my experience is somewhat limited as I know there are threads after threads talking about shorts in the dining room for dinner.

Are you able to wear shorts in the dining room on the nights that are not formal or semi-formal nights? Someone told me that you had to wear dresses or pants every night, please tell me that isn't so. I understand no cut offs...but what about nice shorts?

Any input is appreciated. Also, can anyone link me to the dress code per night on the Rhapsody? Thanks!

NO SHORTS--You can wear a nice skirt or nice capris, shorts are for the Windjammer!

Nitra and Jeannejj,

Is that popcorn getting cold yet. I can't believe that the fashion patrol hasn't been to this thread yet.

Noah10,

The dining room has a suggested form of attire that would have you dressing as suggested. When it says formal, think dressy as you would have a formal family portrait picture. Coat and tie for the hubby and semi formal for you, at least as dressy as Sunday church. For the kids I would say like you are going to a formal wedding. Kids clothes can be so expensive and they grow out of them quickly. I put my kids in a nice set of docker like pants and a white shirt and a clip on tie when we went to a formal wedding. If you used the pants that way you could use them for formal as well as casual, just like we women can take the little black dress and dress it up or dress it down.

Will they kick you out of the dining room if you don't dress to code... Nope but will you possibly be talked about from other diners..... well just read the posts there is a fashion patrol that looks at what you are wearing at your table.

We have been at a table where the suggested attire wasn't worn. Did this ruin my dinner? Nope I enjoyed the company and the dinner and thought I am so glad that I am on vacation. We don't get a chance to dress up that often so I have an excuse to buy clothes for the cruise and I take full advantage of it. I wish I had more time for the cruising instead of the shopping for the perfect clothes.

One can always dine in the Windjammer and never pack a fancy dress or a tie. I think we might try that on one of our short cruises and see if I am missing anything by going to the dining room.

They do not allow shorts in the dining room on any night. Some people wear them anyway, but are not suppose to. You can find the suggested dress code on rccl.com

That is not true. The suggested dress code is just that - suggested. The smaller ships, like the Rhapsody, are not as "formal" as the larger ones. I just got off the Grandeur and noticed many people wearing bermuda shorts to dinner. I heard one diner at a table near me ask the waiter about the "dress code" and the waiter replied "it is a suggested dress code only - not mandatory". OP - I would not try this on a Voyager class, but on the Rhapsody, you should be fine. It's as laid back as the Grandeur is.

That is not true. The suggested dress code is just that - suggested. The smaller ships, like the Rhapsody, are not as "formal" as the larger ones. I just got off the Grandeur and noticed many people wearing bermuda shorts to dinner. I heard one diner at a table near me ask the waiter about the "dress code" and the waiter replied "it is a suggested dress code only - not mandatory". OP - I would not try this on a Voyager class, but on the Rhapsody, you should be fine. It's as laid back as the Grandeur is.

THANK YOU. Someone finally speaks the truth. I have NEVER heard about anyone getting shooed away because they were wearing the "wrong clothes." It's suggested - even the RCL rep told me this on the phone.

Now, be also aware that on the first night of dining, it's come as you are, because some people may not have received their luggage by then.

THANK YOU. Someone finally speaks the truth. I have NEVER heard about anyone getting shooed away because they were wearing the "wrong clothes." It's suggested - even the RCL rep told me this on the phone.

Now, be also aware that on the first night of dining, it's come as you are, because some people may not have received their luggage by then.

Actually there are several posts in the last few months where people have reported that others were turned away for shorts.

Are you able to wear shorts in the dining room on the nights that are not formal or semi-formal nights?

Great conversation starter question on these boards, and the answer is no and yes.

Confused? Then here has been our experience on several trips aboard (and more booked!) on the Rhapsody.

On the first night many passengers took a very casual approach to dinner. Shorts, t-shirts and whatever they traveled to Galveston in.

On the formal nights I've seen fewer men choose a tux, but more in suits. A growing number of men choose a casual shirt and khakis for every night aboard. One look at the photo wall the next morning will validate that.

To your question; I've worn shorts to dinner on three nights on our most recent cruise, and all the guys at my table did the same thing. We cleaned up after a day in port/sea and wore khaki shorts and a nice golf/polo shirt.

We were seated right next to the port side entry into the first floor and witnessed many do the same thing.

I know all the rules, and know that some feel that changes the flavor of their food, ruins their dining experience, etc. However, I will make no effort to defend my actions.

After many cruises since my first on the Carnival Mardi Gras in 1976 I have watched a decline in formal dress for dinners. People are more casual in church, malls and other public venues. I doubt that behavior will change after a couple days at sea.

Add to the mix the enforcement of a 50 pound limit for suitcases in the airline industry and you might well find fewer people packing a suit and dress shoes just for one evening. My wife was exactly one pound under the limit for her suitcase when we went to Miami this past Sunday for our two day trip aboard the Freedom of the Seas.

So, if I am turned away at the door someday soon I will go to the cabin and change.

Enjoy your trip, cruises are a super value in travel, and with the cost of fuel the vacation return for the dollar is the best we can find. The Rhapsody is about 30 minutes from my door, and we'll sail her again soon, complete with shorts packed for dinner.

Actually there are several posts in the last few months where people have reported that others were turned away for shorts.

I was one of them. Saw it happen more than once on my Serenade cruise in March.

I was one of them. Saw it happen more than once on my Serenade cruise in March.

Thank you for posting that. While the rest of the dress is suggested RCI states, clearly on their website, that no shorts are allowed in the dining room in the evening. That is not a suggestion, imo.

Thank you for posting that. While the rest of the dress is suggested RCI states, clearly on their website, that no shorts are allowed in the dining room in the evening. That is not a suggestion, imo.

OT, Nancy how did your little one's surgery go?

He's got an infection, but he's on antibiotics now. He had a rough time coming out of the anesthetic. I'm glad it'a all over now! He did eat dirt last weekend when we took him out for a bit (Monday he was starting to act normal again) so he's getting better.

He's got an infection, but he's on antibiotics now. He had a rough time coming out of the anesthetic. I'm glad it'a all over now! He did eat dirt last weekend when we took him out for a bit (Monday he was starting to act normal again) so he's getting better.

HA! Nliedel, I had to laugh at this one. Just the other day my DH was remembering how he found our youngest son in the back yard playing and eating dirt (he was curious about how it tasted) when he was about 2. DH said to himself, "I'm not sterilizing YOUR bottles anymore!" LOL

Anyway, back on topic. To summarize: yes some of the shorter cruises, like the 3 - 5 nighters, are more casual. On almost any cruise you will find people walking into the dining room in shorts for dinner. Some ships' mairtre d's are more strict, and they do turn people away from the door when they are waaaay underdressed. But, from what I've read, the OP just wants to know what's the normal attire, and it's not shorts.

If someone wears them, they just take the chance of being turned away and either changing or eating in the Windjammer. Personally, I think of these folks as pretty sloppy that they can't pull a pair of pants on with their top and sandals. That's all that's required. Just cover your feet and legs. Not a big deal, huh?

Sounds like a good friend of mine's kid. He got seriously ill in January (had to eventually have his gallbladder removed). I called a couple weeks later to ask how he was "Oh, he fell of the monkey bars at school and broke his arm." Guess he was doing better:p.

On the Rhapsody last November I watched a man come in 20 minutes late, wearing a tank top, baggy nylon shorts and a kerchief tied around his head. He had the table manners of a goat. And surprise surprise - he did not appear the last night so I am going to make the leap that he stiffed his waiter. His tablemates looked miserable and the two families barely interacted all week. Did it ruin their cruise or dining experience? Don't know - but I bet they didn't look forward to dinner and probably didn't know enough about cruising to have asked to change tables. Did it ruin my cruise or dining experience? No. Is it an example of what is happening to cruising in general? Yes.

The last time I tried to explain this I got called a social elitist (which in itself is really really funny). Here's the thing - RCCL is attempting to use nice language when they say the "suggested" dress code is such and such. In many social circles, this is a polite form of "required" or at the very least a strong but subtle hint of "this is what you SHOULD wear." However since it is open to interpretation and since there are people who don't want to be told what to do on "their" vacation, the debate rages on.

Me - I don't care as much as my story may infer. The goat man would have still been disgusting with his table manners if he had bothered to dress neatly. We've been known to change clothes after dinner on formal nights but that's generally so we can breathe <grin>.

I think shorts and a golf shirt is very nice for a casual dinner. However, if you open that door then you are going to get the tank tops and baggy shorts as well.

BTW - I don't see this on Celebrity ships but X markets themselves very differently from RCCL.

Archived