Seeking Effective Way to Get Free Cabin Upgrades

Carl in Tampa

We are taking our eigth cruise, second with princess this June. We have never been upgraded. We have however keep track of the rates. After we booked for the cruise in June they offered any balcony for the same price that we paid for the basic balcaony. I took a BB instead of a BA because we ended up in the middle of the ship and a deck higher than the BA they offered on the tail of the ship.

Last time on Princess (The Grand) we took an outside quarentee and had a gread cabin assigned on the main deck right in the middle. WE were right behind the are galary. Great cabin.

So, upgrade is luck mostly and keeping track of the rates and specials. I still watch two or three times per week.

• 3 weeks later...

On our first cruise with HAL, we unpacked in the original cabin, but later the same day found a note in the cabin: when cleaning, they had noticed the shower had some tiles loose, and would we consider moving to another cabin? It was only a couple of 1/2" square tiles, but what the heck--we got moved up to a larger cabin (the HAL staff helped us actually move our stuff), and we even got a free bottle of wine at dinner for accepting the change. I wouldn't have minded the loose tiles, but I certainly didn't mind the upgrade.

Haven't been upgraded since, for what it's worth. Since we generally prefer to choose our cabin (rather than taking a guarantee), that might have something to do with it.

Now if someone could tell us how we could get an invitation to the Captain's Table on a formal night (aside from booking an owner's suite or being on our 50th cruise with the company)....

• 4 weeks later...

We've Never Been Upgraded, Most Likely Because All Our Princess Cruises Have Been "sold Out". They Put Out A Card Saying Don't Ask For A Cabin Change Because They Are All Full. I Imagine They Might Move You Up If They Have Room So You Decide You Like The Bigger/ Better Cabin.

In various forums I've seen references to getting free cabin upgrades.

I don't understand how this is done.

Do you simply ask for it?

If so, who do you ask and when do you ask for it.

Insight would be appreciated.

My 3rd cruise is this Sunday-Carnival Vicory (1st with Carinval)-booked in February with PVP and was given a $100 off the room (web site price) and got an extended balcony room because I am 55+.

My wife and I (plus other family members) cruised with Princess several times and our upcoming cruise in Dec 07 will be the 2nd cruise with our 3 yr. old son. Last year we booked an outside triple and that's what we got, never got upgraded. On previous cruises before our son was born, we got upgraded several decks on inside cabins, no views obviously, but nevertheless, they were considered upgrades. Is it more difficult to get upgrades on a triple cabin? We've booked an inside for our next cruise via the T.A. who's doing a group booking and claimed to have booked several decks on the ship. We wanted to upgrade to an outside but was advised if we do it now, we'll have the pay the full price for an outside. If we wait later when final payment is due, there's a better chance to get upgraded and pay a much lesser difference. My only worry is that because we need a triple cabin (we don't need the extra bed, but regulations require it to be a triple), our chances may be reduced compared to regular cabins. Not sure what to do but don't want to blindly pay full price now for the outside. Any suggestions...

• 4 weeks later...

On a cruise I booked an outside cabin, I was told that they had given me an upgrade .......................... I was now in a larger cabin, inside! My original cabin was given to some one else, tough!

Since then there have been no upgrades.

• 3 weeks later...
On a cruise I booked an outside cabin, I was told that they had given me an upgrade .......................... I was now in a larger cabin, inside! My original cabin was given to some one else, tough!

Since then there have been no upgrades.

I can't see how they could consider that an upgrade. I sure wouldn't! Did you complain up the chain after you returned home?

• 4 months later...

We selected the cabin we wanted on our second cruise (Celebrity) and got an email from our agent that we had gotten an upgrade - same category cabin, higher deck. I checked the deck plans and found the "upgrade" was under one of the bars and refused it. Never got another upgrade, but we have been happy with our cabins as we booked them so far.

6 cruise, no upgrades!!! i figure with 2,000 people on a cruise...all asking for free upgrades, my chances are slim and none. it seems they just magically appear, nothing you are do about. if the cruiseline needs to more some people around for any reason, it's possible. i seem to pick cruises that sail full, no chance if all the rooms are sold.

• 3 weeks later...

i am going on my first cruise and i shopped around finding the lowest price for a higher deck but an inside room. then went back to my ta and they matched the price , giving us an onboard credit per cabin, and gave us the same room as on the other site. if anything else happens differently I will tell u when we get back. but I am happy. and really do you spend a lot of time in your cabin except to sleep?

• 7 months later...

Each cruiseline has a different upgrade policy. Requiring a triple may reduce your chance for a free upgrade since you have a 'need' attached to your booking. Sounds like your TA verbally guaranteed you an upgrade for free or reduced rate which is not a good policy. Many have been disappointed this way. appy Sailing!

• 4 months later...

We have had several upgrades recently - Carnival Spirit booked a balcony guarantee and got the top balcony cabin in Feb 08-similar expereince on RCL on a 'free' cruise; booked a guarantee mini-suite AE for Jan 09 on Golden Princess and got a AA cabin, mid ship, right off the elevator; got a 8 level upgrade on NCL several years ago - all booking guarantees but in the category we wanted (OV/Balcony/Suite). Have never been upgraded on HCL tho. For some reason on the upcoming Princess cruise, we paid only $2000/pp thru the TA, and the cabin we are in is showing on Princess for $3200/pp last week....great upgrade!!!!!

we cruised recently out of sydney on the rhapsody and we were booked in an outside on 3 deck but when we went to check in we were upgraded to an aft balcony on 7 deck, my wife was tickled pink

we were doing a b2b and the balcony cabins beside us were empty so instead of us moving to another cabin we were informed by the purser that we could stay in the aft balcony, we stayed in the balcony cabin for 25 days

we got 2 upgrades so we were very happy (thank you rccl)

we cruised recently out of sydney on the rhapsody and we were booked in an outside on 3 deck but when we went to check in we were upgraded to an aft balcony on 7 deck, my wife was tickled pink

we were doing a b2b and the balcony cabins beside us were empty so instead of us moving to another cabin we were informed by the purser that we could stay in the aft balcony, we stayed in the balcony cabin for 25 days

we got 2 upgrades so we were very happy (thank you rccl)

Yes, you did do well!!!

• 5 years later...
My wife and I (plus other family members) cruised with Princess several times and our upcoming cruise in Dec 07 will be the 2nd cruise with our 3 yr. old son. Last year we booked an outside triple and that's what we got, never got upgraded. On previous cruises before our son was born, we got upgraded several decks on inside cabins, no views obviously, but nevertheless, they were considered upgrades. Is it more difficult to get upgrades on a triple cabin? We've booked an inside for our next cruise via the T.A. who's doing a group booking and claimed to have booked several decks on the ship. We wanted to upgrade to an outside but was advised if we do it now, we'll have the pay the full price for an outside. If we wait later when final payment is due, there's a better chance to get upgraded and pay a much lesser difference. My only worry is that because we need a triple cabin (we don't need the extra bed, but regulations require it to be a triple), our chances may be reduced compared to regular cabins. Not sure what to do but don't want to blindly pay full price now for the outside. Any suggestions...

We will never go with a guarantee again when the Carnival Destiny was new we did that we were to have a balcony (smoker) and we were upgraded to a room with floor to ceiling window no balcony they called this an upgrade I was so disappointed the ship was full and I did not like the room. Never again. Carnival also did nothing for us. On RC we traveled with friends that had an inside cabin and the upgrade fairy gave them a balcony stateroom 3 door down from us. This all was many years ago and have not seen a upgrade since

There was a thread a couple of years ago on the Carnival Forum about a young newlywed couple on their FIRST cruise that were upgraded from an inside to the Owner's Suite (a suite on Fantasy Class ships that is never sold and traditionally only used by the big wigs) ! ! The pics were fantastic: 2 bedrooms, dressing area, bar, dining area, and on and on, all overlooking the Lido pool ! ! I repeat this was their FIRST cruise, so go figure ! ! :rolleyes:

We got a call offering us an upgrade that was actually an upsell to the Penthouse Suite (also called the Owner's Suite) on the Carnival Ecstasy.

We had been on the Ecstasy before and never realized they were there even though you can see the windows when you are at the pool. Since it was our anniversary, I said yes.

My wife took pictures and posted them on her personal website. You can see them at the link below.

The only free upgrade we have had was from a mini-suite to a full penthouse suite on the Caribbean Princess. It was fantastic!

I wasn't sure if the OP was referring to what is sometimes referred to here on CC as "the Upgrade Fairy" or asking how to score a upgrade thru their own actions.

I have refused cruise line-originated upgrades after a move once from a midship interior to a very forward ocean view. Since my friend sometimes suffers from motion sickness this was not a great upgrade for us.

What I have benefited from was watching the CC boards to see any sales. Once on our roll call someone moved from a midship balcony to a suite during a one day sale, and posted it, I called right away and got a free upgrade from interior to her balcony.

More often I've been able to move to oceanview. I always book interior, and can thoroughly enjoy the cruise, but its nice to score an ocean view. During sales or near final payment date I will check sometimes 2 or 3 times a day to see if there is any movement on prices.

I've never been offered an upgrade. I guess that it's because I don't have enough cruise nights with any company, and also that I'm a solo traveller.

I have said in my Crown and Anchor profile that I would accept an upgrade.

Are upgrades one randomly by computer? That would be more haphazard than a human doing it. If that were the case they might see that I have three RCI cruises booked for 2015, and be kind to me!

I have cruise on Carnival more than 50 times; they pretty much routinely put out a placard by the "information/purser's desk" stating that the ship is 100% full (therefore discouraging any requests for cabin changes/upgrades). IMHO, I do not necessarily think they are always 100% full. What is their definition of 100% full? I presume it's maybe at least 90% occupancy. IMHO, if a person of such presumed importance as a movie star, famous sports athlete, high-ranking politician had a gripe with their assigned cabin, the cabin change request would be accommodated very hastily!