Why do we cruise?

F11

Well...I travel, to at least some extent, for most of that...I need to get away and want to see as much of the world as possible...and when I do, I like to stay somewhere nice, eat great food, get great service and so on...

But, maybe the question for me is "Why cruise...as opposed to other forms of travel?"

That's one I've thought about...

In part it's because it's great value for the money, but, for the most part, this is it:

The rest of the year, the "normal, everyday" part, I work...

I go to the office and handle volumes of intricate details...

I deal with logistics...and business points...and legalities...and nuance of words...and schedules...and appointments...and STRESS...

I am looked upon to solve everyone's problems, to work out everyone's issues, to fix everyone's mistakes...

So...When I 'vacation", I like to get away from as much of the stress as I can...

On a cruise, I don't worry about getting from one port or stop to another...I don't worry about where to go to dinner...or how to entertain everyone after dinner...I don't have to deal with a lot of logistics or arrangements or issues or stress...

I board the ship and kick back...and let it all come to me...

I get all the stuff you mentioned...BUT, importantly, it comes to me...I don't have to search out good food or service...or entertainment...or amenities...it's all there...and it floats around WITH ME...

My answers are 1) a love of sailing the seven seas which Lord Byron summarized by saying, "Roll on thou deep and dark blue ocean - roll!" and 2) to "see what's out there."

Rough seas have almost thrown me out of my bunk on several occasions -exiting the Panama Canal, outside of Cadiz, and close to the North Pole - I was happy to be up close and personal with Mother Nature.

I've been sailing in the South China Seas close to Java with oceans glassily calm - we balanced a quarter on a Promenade Deck railing which never budged. I've seen hundreds of dolphins, an endless line, happily crossing the bow wake of the ship as they played their oh-so-expert game.

I want to learn the ancient history of the ports, I want to find out where the hotel employees go for an inexpensive lunch, I want to learn a few words of the local language - please, thank you, hello. I want to meet locals and hope to leave them with a pleasant thought for Americans.

Ruby

well, I guess we have pretty much ruled out the art auctions..

but, afternoon tea at sea is a pretty great runner up!

:p

And, my top 10 reasons why I love to cruise are:

1. hang up the clothes and forget about them

2. waking up to a new place in the world everyday

3. butler service:D

4. fabulous food

5. meeting wonderful new friends and having great conversations at

very long **dinners ..see #4

6. the smell of the ocean spray and the sound of the waves at night

through open balcony doors

7. doing absolutely nothing but relaxing on a chaise and watching

the water ( see Bruin Steve's post

relating to stress release :) )

8. the way the stars always appear to shine so brilliantly under the

moonlight and how many of them come out at night is amazing

9. did I say butler service?

10. to plan the next one

Claudia our list is almost exactly the same..but I would add I love to see the different cultures and meet the people..we are not much into churches, castles and museums..but take us to a store and let us talk to the people for a few hours and learn about them and we are happy!!

Love hanging clothes up and never pack until we leave,

sleeping late,

having breakfast in the stateroom,

reading,

talking to everyone,

and learning from the speakers!!

having the wind blow on my face..

Jan

Archived