Don't miss SNUBA while in Cozumel

billnye12

My wife and I just returned from a cruise on the Carnival Inspiration and we both easily agreed that our snuba excursion in Cozumel was, by far, the highlight of our trip. We swam with the sting rays in Grand Cayman and went cave tubing in Belize but neither of those compared to the fun we had on the snuba trip.
We booked our exursion with Mayan Paradise Tours ([url]www.snubacozumel.com[/url]) Because of our ship's early departure time we chose the 9:00 am dive. At this time of day, the temperature was already in the 80's. We snorkeled at two reefs and snuba-dived at one. The water in Cozumel is unbelievably clear and warm and we were fortunate enough to see dozens of beautiful fish including huge parrot fish that were pink and irridescent green. It was like swimming in a giant aquarium!
For those of you who haven't snuba-dived (if that's how you would say
it) before there's no need to be apprehensive. Gary's crew does a wonderful, thorough job of teaching you what you need to know and
making sure you feel comfortable before going under. You essentially
have a respirator (like a scuba diver) in your mouth that's attached
to a 20 foot hose that gets its air supply from a tank floating on a
raft above your head. The crew members teach you how to equilize the
pressure as you submerge and take every precaution to make sure
you're safe and comfortable. We probably spent about 30 minutes under water (but it seemed like much longer) while we snuba-dived and about the same time at each of the other two snorkel reefs.
What made this excursion so unique and special for us though was the
very friendly (and funny) crew. They were always offering us fresh
fruit, chips, beverages (free of charge) and asking to help us with
anything they could.
If you like to swim, snorkel, dive, listen to great music and have a ton of fun I would highly recommend this excursion. It's about as much fun as
you can have in a four-hour time period in the middle of the day in
Cozumel. I definitely know we'll go back!

Billnye12: Sounds great. We will be in Cozumel in March. We are trying to decide if we want to Snuba in Grand Cayman or Cozumel. Did you book it through the cruiseline or on your own? Do you remember what it costs? Also, is there an age requirement? My youngest daughter will be 7 yrs. old when we go. Too young? Thanks for the info.

The Southern trip is better in my opinion. They visit Palancar, Columbia and Cielo on the Southern version. The reefs to the north are more shallow - still beautiful though. I just love Palancar and Columbia. They are incredible. You'll have fun on either one though.

What time did your ship get into Cozumel? I emailed Mayan Paradise, and they said due to ship times, we couldn't use their tour! And we really wanted to! We are on the Elation, will be in port 9-5 ship time.

According the the information I printed out on the web site (snubacozumel.com):
Tue/Thur/Sat 9:00 AM and 1:30 PM (must be to meeting spot 15 minutes prior)
Mon/Wed/Fri at 9:00 AM and 2:00 PM
I believe the tour is 4 hours total

UPDATE:
Shortly after I sent an e-mail to Gary at Mayan Paradise he e-mailed me back (really quick response, even in the evening!!). He stated that the web-site is not updated and has incorrect times. They are actually:
Mon., Tues (AM only), Wed, Thurs (AM only) Friday, Sunday: Morning pickup is at 9AM at Nachi Cocom beach club, with a 1PM return. The afternnon trips depart Nachi Cocum at 2:00 PM and returns at approximately 6PM. Those choosing Snuba (they also offer Snorkel only) will dive at either Palancar or Columbia and snorkel at the remaining 2 reefs. They spend approx. 30 minutes at each reef. Must arrive 15 min. prior to start of the tour.
Pricing is $45 for snorkel only; $70 to for the Snuba/Snorkel.

Sounds great to me. We are actually on a land vacation this time (in Playa Del Carmen) rather than a cruise. I'll have to see what the ferry schedule is to see if an afternoon trip works for us. (Don't want to have to catch a 7:00 AM ferry during vacation!!) If we book, it will be for this Sunday, and I'll post my review!

Archived