Celebrity Stepped Up To The Plate for 4/27/06 Medical Costs

overinvester

Well folks, I gotta tell you, we were on the "bleaching" cruise on 4/27/06 and my wife took ill from the bleach fumes. Had a ship medical bill for $550.00 for a URI that was the direct cause of the bleaching. I wrote to Mr. Hanaran, President of Celebrity, gave him my explanation on why I felt it was unfair that I bear this cost, and his PR man Michael who called me was very understanding and told me that I would be refunded this money.

Celebrity, you did the right thing and you have now renewed my faith in your line.

Jerry & Marjorie Gorsky

I assume you mean 3/27 - not 4/27? I'm awfully glad they decided to step up and take care of things but - it's just luck of the draw....

You must have called at the right time and gotten the right person. Many people have the same complaint and I'll be they have not all been treated so great.

Certainly NO one on the 3/17 bleach cruise received any consideration from Celebrity - and their letters are still denying that consideration is due - what a joke it has all become!

It's late and I know this will sound like X bashing of the type that has gotten the board riled up lately, but it's not meant to be... just a souple observations...

From the accounts one reads overall about pax being overcome by bleach fumes, this sounds like industrial poisoning. Chlorine poisoning - as in one of the types used in WWI. X ought to waive med fees; c'mon, their lucky there's no greater liability fallout than that!

And on the issue of med fees waiver: when medical malpractice claims have arisen on lines (not specifically X) the lines always defend on the grounds that the doctors are independent professional contractors. It has taken claimants serious litigation to puncture that defense. If the docs are truly independent, how does the company prez and his PR guy waive the wand and wipe out your charges? Rhetorical question.

Just observations. After the difficult vacation chlorine gassing you took, I'm glad for you that the line has erased the resulting med charges. It's the right thing. It's too bad so many others have had less satisfactory results. If the ship required an industrial gassing, the line should have taken it out of service for that (like Princess is presently doing with Sea Princess in Southhampton).

It's late and I know this will sound like X bashing of the type that has gotten the board riled up lately, but it's not meant to be... just a souple observations...

From the accounts one reads overall about pax being overcome by bleach fumes, this sounds like industrial poisoning. Chlorine poisoning - as in one of the types used in WWI. X ought to waive med fees; c'mon, their lucky there's no greater liability fallout than that!

And on the issue of med fees waiver: when medical malpractice claims have arisen on lines (not specifically X) the lines always defend on the grounds that the doctors are independent professional contractors. It has taken claimants serious litigation to puncture that defense. If the docs are truly independent, how does the company prez and his PR guy waive the wand and wipe out your charges? Rhetorical question.

Just observations. After the difficult vacation chlorine gassing you took, I'm glad for you that the line has erased the resulting med charges. It's the right thing. It's too bad so many others have had less satisfactory results. If the ship required an industrial gassing, the line should have taken it out of service for that (like Princess is presently doing with Sea Princess in Southhampton).

You're right about one thing, this definitely sounds like X bashing! Celebrity management did not waive the medical fees according to the OP. According to him, Celebrity was going to refund his money. It is very likely that Celebrity could pay for the medical services that were provided its guest.

Regardless of how X is doing it, it's interesting that even when they do something right, there are plenty who can find fault with Celebrity...

Susan

You're right about one thing, this definitely sounds like X bashing! Celebrity management did not waive the medical fees according to the OP. According to him, Celebrity was going to refund his money. It is very likely that Celebrity could pay for the medical services that were provided its guest.

Regardless of how X is doing it, it's interesting that even when they do something right, there are plenty who can find fault with Celebrity...

Susan

Isn't it true that no matter how politely or civilly you raise a couple of points (even acknowledging recent forum rancor) if it doesn't toe company line and sound like its written by X' ad agency you get flamed... Jeez... Frankly, I think its these respondants who are most responsible for the 'vicious circle' that exists solely on this board lately. TKS Susan for the "enlightenment".

And - No - Bridgettom - cruiseline medical staff are on board under contract for professional levels of compensation in the same manner that Steiner operates the spa and some other specialty services are provided.

You are correct in that it was the 3-27 cruise. I did not call Celebrity, I sent Mr. Hanaran a Certified Letter. It was received by them on 5-30, and they responded back by telephone call.

Michael did explain to me that these Dr's are independent contractors and that they were going to refund these costs to me, not waive them.

I think the reason I got this call and the refund was because my letter was very non threatening, or abrasive. Michael told me they appreciated a clear and concise letter that actually spelled out my concerns. If anyone has any complaints, I would suggest from my experience, be firm, concise and not demanding in your letter. I don't think I was the "luck of the draw", just plainly explained my case to them. I have to thank Tuggers, as this was her advise to all who were on the 3-27 cruise, and it worked.

Jerry & Marjorie:eek:

For cruiselines - it's not easy or appropriate to be overly uniform, even though that seems random to some affected pax. If someone is overcome by chlorine, basically overdoses, then obviously the line shouldn't charge a thing (it should be concerned it's overusing chemicals around passengers).

On the overhand, noro basically is an assumed risk of cruising and it isn't easily eradicated when ships are in service. Giving free medical service for all onboard gastrointestinal problems isn't appropriate. When to do so during the period when noro goes from outbreak to "infestation" requiring a service break is tricky. Pulling a ship from service is a tough expensive decision, but in Mercury's case, it appears that a service break would have been better for all concerned.

What's probably a uniquely X thing is that the staid-formal style of the Greek hotel management can be perceived as "we don't give a d*mn!" when serious issues arise. That's a cross X uniquely has to bear. But ALL the lines are susceptible to their own image problems when noro hits. A few years ago, Princess took holy H on these boards - seemingly forever - during their scramble to knock out noro on a series of Alaska cruises. The common beef arising from the usually "chipper" Princess style were accusations of a variety of consumer health conspiracies because pax weren't given much input into the decisions made - somewhat in contravention to the otherwise gregarious Princess style - so it must be a "plot" right?

I've never been on a ship that had a serious noro outbreak. If I am on one I hope I have a veranda because I think I'd be inclined to self-quarantine simply to avoid infection and an overall down mood.

It's nice that X' senior management responded graciously.

[From the accounts one reads overall about pax being overcome by bleach fumes, this sounds like industrial poisoning. Chlorine poisoning - as in one of the types used in WWI. X ought to waive med fees; c'mon, their lucky there's no greater liability fallout than that!

I was on the Bleach Cruise of 27 March and because my asthma was badly affected by the chlorine I was given three nebulizer treatments in the medical centre. I had checked beforehand with the Miami rep on board that no charge would be made for this. I was not charged.

What I am still pressing for is adequate recompense for a ruined honeymoon and 7 weeks in USA - all due to aggravated asthma and breathing problems which have only just begun to abate this week - over two months after I was `gassed`.

The Van Gogh was also prevented from sailing recently by the authorities in Harwich because norovirus had been present on board on the previous cruise. The concern was not just for the new passengers but also in case the crew should become affected and thus leave an insufficient number to run the ship.

The cruise on the 27 March was the third cruise by Mercury with norovirus on board.

My husband also saw the ship doc on the 3/27/06 bleach cruise for a URI due to the bleach fumes. He was assured the visit was complimentary. When we received a "Medical Service Bill" the following day for $197, we went to the Miami Customer Rep. onboard and she REassured us that the charge would either be credited back to, or deducted from our final seapass bill. The amount was NOT credited or deducted from the Seapass bill, and we were charged the $197 on our Visa bill. I sent a certified letter to Mr. Hanrahan as well as to Richard Fain, Chariman & CEO of RCCL explaining the above in a "non-threatening, non-abrasive" manner. The letter was received on May 10, and I have not heard a word from Mr. Hanrahan, or anyone else from Celebrity or RCCL. This again reflects the inconsistent practices among Celebrity/RCCL. Also, I don't understand the mystery for the corporation to make standard, across-the-board regulations in regards to compensation to passengers.

On the overhand, noro basically is an assumed risk of cruising and it isn't easily eradicated when ships are in service. Giving free medical service for all onboard gastrointestinal problems isn't appropriate. When to do so during the period when noro goes from outbreak to "infestation" requiring a service break is tricky.

We on the 3/27/06 "Bleach Cruise" received letters from the captain, which included the following paragraphs:

Dated March 27, 2006 just prior to boarding:

".....should you experience symptoms commonly associated with gastrointestinal illness at any time during your cruise, we strongly encourage you to contact the ship's medical facility for a complimentary consultation and treatment..."

Dated April 4, 2006:

"Should you experience any discomfort caused by our heightened cleaning protocols, you are welcome to visit our medical facility for a complimentary consultation..."

"Heightened cleaning protocols" refers to the spraying of bleach every 30 minutes, upon every surface of the ship, every day, for eleven days.

Note the word "complimentary" in the captain's letters. Note that MANY passengers were charged for their visit to the ship's medical facilities for GI and URI problems, necessitating letters and phone calls in order to have these charges reimbursed. I am still awaiting word in regards to my (concise, non-threatening) certified letter sent (4 weeks ago) to Corporate for the $197 charged to my Visa card that I was assured was "complimentary" by both the ship Doctor AND the Corporate rep onboard.

It is very frustrating, and I don't feel people should have to take the time to write to the corporation to "ask" for reimbursement for a medical visit in light of what was stated in the letters by the captain regarding "complimentary visits and treatment".

Congratulations - I think that Celebrity handles most (not all) justifiable problems in a professional manner if they are presented in a civilized manner.

Completely agree.

There are certain other cruisers in particular I am rooting for to receive that kind of fine attention and I will look forward to further good news from/about them.

woodofpine, Thank you and I'll take your word for it. I just remember many years ago hearing that the medical staff came on board with their families for a free vacation. Heck, for all I know I could have seen that on Love Boat.

Now I have a new question. Where do these Doctors and nurses come from? If they have an ongoing practice where they live, how do these contracts come about? I'm sorry, I know I can research this myself but it's more fun asking the question here.

I reviewed a cruise industry employment agency posting on the resume they were seeking and a very general compensation description. As I recollect that were willing to review a variety of academic background with general practice and/or ER experience.

Speculating somewhat, I imagine the infirmiry is run much in the way as a stateside hospital associated clinic. I'm sure it varies from line to line. The line has certain administrative functions (billing, supplies, RN hiring and payroll), the doctor provides professional services. Compensation is almost certainly based on a combination of revenue/salary guarantee based on the "captive client" of the cruise line crew (a village of up to a 1,000 very hard working members using heavy equipment, cutlery, and other dangerous stuff for long hours) and a formula of revenue division as to the rotating heavily geriatric wieghted pax population that pays "rack rate" for services (unless "admin" makes some other alternative deal that it has a contractual option to designate).

The qualification of MDs on board has been an occasional issue in claims that have arisen. Obviously, the line has an interest in having competent providers serving the crew and pax. The MDs however are often Non-US and therefore not necessarily (probably not) licensed to practice medicine in the states [which is a state-to-state rather than national licensure anyway].

These folks are not vacationing "johhny come latelys". That would be a pretty scary scenario, notwithstanding the idea that a modestly competent and succesful medical practitioner wants to vacation when vacationing rather than fighting noro and suturing crewman, etc.

You are correct in that it was the 3-27 cruise. I did not call Celebrity, I sent Mr. Hanaran a Certified Letter. It was received by them on 5-30, and they responded back by telephone call.

Michael did explain to me that these Dr's are independent contractors and that they were going to refund these costs to me, not waive them.

I think the reason I got this call and the refund was because my letter was very non threatening, or abrasive. Michael told me they appreciated a clear and concise letter that actually spelled out my concerns. If anyone has any complaints, I would suggest from my experience, be firm, concise and not demanding in your letter. I don't think I was the "luck of the draw", just plainly explained my case to them. I have to thank Tuggers, as this was her advise to all who were on the 3-27 cruise, and it worked.

Jerry & Marjorie:eek:

Thank heavens for cruisers like Tuggers. I'm glad that things worked out for you. Your advice on how to pursue these matters--just persuing the complaint firmly, concisely, and politely--seems to be a good strategy to follow.

Archived