Best for 13 year old

There's a lot to do, especially if you get involved with the teen group. It's a REALLY good idea for you to go on the very first night, because that's when you meet everyone. My son was in the teen group on Mariner (sister ship of Adventure) and was ALWAYS busy. Pool parties, teen disco, "hottie hunt", prom night, etc. I can't remember everything, but I know I hardly saw him. There should be plenty for you to do.

Actually, the "hottie hunt" was an organized teen activity where they basically went out in pairs or small groups with polaroid cameras to try to "recruit" teens who weren't already involved in the teen group. (Good idea on the teen directors part for trying to get those teens involved who were just wandering around the ship.) As for hardly ever seeing him, I'd like to rephrase that while he was doing organized teen activities, I hardly ever saw him. He ate meals with me, went on all excursions with me, and attended the ice show with me. He also always came back to our cabin as soon as the teen activities were done for the night. In fact, one night I was running late & came out of the dance club to find him sitting in a chair across from the entrance, waiting for me.:o Anyhoo, I just think that if the teens are involved in the activities & really enjoy themselves, like my son did, there is way less chance of them roaming the ship in packs, causing trouble.

Sorry, I didn't meant to imply that all teens who roam around together are looking for trouble. I know that I was lucky that the group my son got to know were kids who weren't interested in getting into trouble. On all of the cruises I've been on so far, most of the teens I've seen have all been very well behaved. Now some of the adults....;)

We definitely saw a problem with the "organized" activities for the teens on our Mariner cruise and True Blue Tory has a point. Many times we would go up with our 12 year old to find that the scheduled activities were not taking place - the kids were just hanging out. Ultimately that would lead to them setting out and about on the ship to do "whatever." Most seemed innocent enough - getting pizza or ice cream and sitting in the prmenade snacking - but I could see where there would be boredom and those who engage in more annoying or problematic behavior - we encountered a few of those ourselves.

Even when we left her and it looked like there were people and activities planned, they inevitably did not follow the schedule and the kids ended up on their own. We were not too happy with this aspect of the program and found ourselves supervising our 12 year old more than we think we should have needed to in light of RCI supposedly having such a great kids program. Don't get me wrong - the younger kids program was excellent, but personally I think it was too much freedom for the "teens." Many parents think they are sending them off to a "program," yet a lot of these kids would go off and do their own thing because there was nothing going on in the teen area.

RCI does have a great teen program - one of the strong points is the flexible schedule, i.e. if nobody wants to do an activity, they don't kick you out of the room to start the activity anyways.

I can assure you that most of the ones causing trouble never showed up to the programs to begin with. not all, but most.

• 1 month later...

If a little objectivity helps - we got on an elevator and a drunk middle aged man pushed all the buttons and his buddies thought it was funny. Thank GOD they weren't teens, or I'd have been upset! <insert sarcasm here>. My DH and I just looked at each other and agreed that a "kid" pushed the buttons. People sweep with broad brushes here. We had no problem with the 11yr. old program last year on the Mariner. I'll monitor the 12-14 program. It's a tough age to amuse.

Karen

If a little objectivity helps - we got on an elevator and a drunk middle aged man pushed all the buttons and his buddies thought it was funny. Thank GOD they weren't teens, or I'd have been upset! <insert sarcasm here>. My DH and I just looked at each other and agreed that a "kid" pushed the buttons. People sweep with broad brushes here. We had no problem with the 11yr. old program last year on the Mariner. I'll monitor the 12-14 program. It's a tough age to amuse.

Karen

They guy that pushed all the buttons was probably the one that says "Its my vacation I will do what I want" sorry couldn't resist.

We usually have no issues with teens on cruises, it's usually the younger kids (7-12 that aren't in a kids program) running amuck.

Archived