Friends & Family.... PVP

Elaine515

I don't know if I'm "letting the cat out of the bag" or not, BUT... we were at a friends house last week when their friends showed up a list called "Friends & Family" that came from a Carnival PVP.

They told us that they had a friend who worked for Carnival and showed us a list of last minute sailings (up to a month out) that was exactly 1/2 the price of what our Carnival PVP quoted us....When we inquired further, the friends brushed us off....

So, I called my PVP and asked her about it... She gave me what she said was the best rate she could.... the same I can get from any on-line cruise only travel agent.

So, my fellow Cruise Critic Members.... here's my question to you.... Is anyone here aware of this Friends & Family list, are you on it? and, how do you get on it? I even asked my PVP if I could be her friend!!

Another question..... do you think you get a better deal from a PVP who has worked for Carnival for a couple of months or one who has worked there for a couple of years? A while ago, and I don't know this to be true or not, I heard that a PVP who was there longer made more commission so they were able to give a better rate if they wanted to.... Anyone know about that?

Thanks for your answers on this one....

Elaine :)

I don't know if I'm "letting the cat out of the bag" or not, BUT... we were at a friends house last week when their friends showed up a list called "Friends & Family" that came from a Carnival PVP.

They told us that they had a friend who worked for Carnival and showed us a list of last minute sailings (up to a month out) that was exactly 1/2 the price of what our Carnival PVP quoted us....When we inquired further, the friends brushed us off....

So, I called my PVP and asked her about it... She gave me what she said was the best rate she could.... the same I can get from any on-line cruise only travel agent.

So, my fellow Cruise Critic Members.... here's my question to you.... Is anyone here aware of this Friends & Family list, are you on it? and, how do you get on it? I even asked my PVP if I could be her friend!!

Another question..... do you think you get a better deal from a PVP who has worked for Carnival for a couple of months or one who has worked there for a couple of years? A while ago, and I don't know this to be true or not, I heard that a PVP who was there longer made more commission so they were able to give a better rate if they wanted to.... Anyone know about that?

I'm sure the cruise lines have the same sort of policy for their employees as the airlines. Family and sometimes friends of the employee enjoy certain perks. It is one of the benefits. Retired employees usually enjoy the same benefits for their circle. These benefits are not available to the general public.

The :)way to get the best price on your next cruise is to research, research, research. Check a couple of websites, call a couple of travel agencies, call the cruise line direct. Pricing is sort of like a crap-shoot. As soon as you find a price you like from a reputable source, book it! It might not be there if/when you call back.:)

PVPs get no credit for those, so fat chance one would actually get you in on that. (they'd be extremely foolish to do so) Plus, the PVP would probably be disciplined. "friends and family" rates are meant to be just that, as CCL does not want these rates presented to the general public.

Absolute fiction. No PVP, whether 6 years of tenure or right out of training, has a different pay scale, and it's not commission to begin with. It's a flat bonus system that is the same for every PVP.

I wonder if this is anything like those rumor mystical "filler list" of folks who are willing to cruise (for the right price) on a day's notice to fill a ship. I have always heard about that, but never knew if it was true???

There are Friend's & Family rates for military and interline personnel like Airline, UPS, FedEx employees. Most rates are several hindered dollars cheaper than published rates. for ex. we are sailing on the Miracle 10-1-06 in a 7a normal rate is $699.00 pp now, we are paying $479.00pp.

The person that is employee must be traveling in the group.

most of the time the employee can book 1 or two additional room at the discounted rate.

These rates are not always available.

It would be nice for the CC members on this board who are going that qualify for the discounts and are not using the extra discounted rooms to offer to sponsor another member that is going on the same ship and same sail date. I would offer but I am one of the friends and family so I can not help.

the freinds and family rate is just that. it is for friends and family of carnival employees. the employee does not have to travel but is RESPONSIBLE for the freinds and family thay do travel. for example if someone traveling becomes abusive and starts demanding perks that they are not entitled to, the sponsoring carnival employee can lose their cruising privleges for up to one year. so most will not advertise the family and friends rate to other than very good friends or family.

There are Friend's & Family rates for military and interline personnel like Airline, UPS, FedEx employees.

Sadly, the Interline rates are no longer available for air cargo carriers (UPS, Fed Ex DHL, etc) on Carnival ships or any cruiseline owned by Carnival. That was discontinued on April 1, 2006. RCCL and a few others do still offer these discounts to air cargo company employees.

Archived