Carnival Vacation Club (MEMBERS ONLY Please)

Chexmix

There are SEVERAL threads out there about the negatives of a CVC membership. With this post I'm looking for the POSITIVES and what others have experienced.

I am a current member of the CVC club. I joined in December 2005. I haven't used any certificates or points yet. However, I have been on a couple of cruises since joining. The CVC staff on the Valor and Conquest were great.

My question to the members are:

1. What is your membership level?

2. Using your points how many cruises did you get?

3. What catagories did you book? If you were upgraded, How good was the upgrade?

4. Any other "perks" besides the welcome aboard gift and VIP embarkation/deembarkation?

the following question are about the Land Certificates: If you have used a land certificate,

5. Where did you stay?

6. How long?

7. Did you like the choice you made?

8. What type rooms did you get? Was it what you requested?

9. Were there extra charges for extra people?

10. While using the certificate, were there any extra "perks" at the resort that were free? Or were you charged for all extras.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these for me as well as others who have thought about joining or a just doing research on the CVC. It will help us all learn something new I'm sure.

Sliver Membership, it pays to buy 2 Slivers instead of 1 Gold because you get more Airfare Certificates and maybe 1 extra Land shore Certificate.

I got 4 Cruises out of mine because I usually book the 2300 points pp cruises and also guarantee and get awesome upgrades

3. What catagories did you book? If you were upgraded, How good was the upgrade?

We always book 1a and 4a and get bumpped to 6a with French doors.

4. Any other "perks" besides the welcome aboard gift and VIP embarkation/deembarkation?

You get 2 VIP Parites with lots of drinks and cool finger foods and if youre lucky and they have it champagne drinks or bottles at the desk.

the following question are about the Land Certificates: If you have used a land certificate,

I have not used my Land Certificates yet but have read on here that others have and had great successes with them.

The Air Certificates are Cash Savers, we used ours this March to Miami and saved 500.00 in airfare.

We had no problems with CVC, Their reps are great and very helpfull, remember that even when your Points run out, you still get all the perks until the end of the program.

I will be renewing my Membership this April onboard the Spirit where I first got mine.

Remember you also have the Friends and Family plan, My friend booked his expensive Carnival Legend cruise on the 4th of July last year and he saved 1000.00 He booked a 4a inside and ended up in a 8h Balcony cabin.

Fred

I was thinking about a few things while in the shower (getting ready for work), Wendy and I spend on an average of $3,000 per cruise with airfare and all, thats $12,000 for 4 cruises, This membership cost us 5,000.00 and we were able to squeeze 4 cruises out of it. Thats $7,000 dollar savings to me.

What I like about it is that your are not locked in with Maintence fees like time shares, you don't own it and don't have to worry about getting rid of it later. One person on here wrote resently that they lost their job or was inbetween jobs but stiill had the membership. Basically their cruises are already prepaid.

Side Note; If you really want to have some fun, Buy a blue and white Cruise Critic Polo shirt, CVC puts a cool VIP Magnetic sign on your Cabin door, with that and the Cruise Critic shirts people will want to chat with you about being a Cruise Critic.

Fred

I also have the Silver Membership

Havent used any points yet, but booked a cruise through the CVC today on the Glory for Oct. 7th

Normally the regular Interior and get upgraded...We went with the Balcony this time and let the kids have the inside

This has already been stated by the above person

We havent used any of are certificates including the airfare, but we will certainly use it to fly to Orlando for the Glory...as airfare from Greenville, SC insnt all that cheap!

Thanks Wennfred and Hendricks Clan. This will help me with my planning and I sure it will help others.

I really hope others will reply to this post as well. It would be interesting to see how people used the land certificates as well. Although using the points seems to be the main intrest of most.

1. What is your membership level? Bronze

2. Using your points how many cruises did you get? I booked an 8B for one week and looks like to book another balcony for 5 days will cost me an additional few hundred dollars.

3. What catagories did you book? If you were upgraded, How good was the upgrade? Just got off the Glory. I was in an 8B.

4. Any other "perks" besides the welcome aboard gift and VIP embarkation/deembarkation? There is a member only party at the end of the cruise. Many times I felt I was treated special because of my membership.

5. Where did you stay? Have not used, likely will not.

6. How long?

10. While using the certificate, were there any extra "perks" at the resort that were free? Or were you charged for all extras.

Thanks for taking the time to answer these for me as well as others who have thought about joining or a just doing research on the CVC. It will help us all learn something new I'm sure.

Though I will not renew, I have not had any negative experiences yet. Everything has been handled as well as any good TA could handle it.

1. What is your membership level? bronze

2. Using your points how many cruises did you get? 7day this past May . About to book a 4 day for this fall and will use the remainder of my points for a 7 day next May.

3. What catagories did you book? If you were upgraded, How good was the upgrade? booked 4a upgraded to inside on Empress

4. Any other "perks" besides the welcome aboard gift and VIP embarkation/deembarkation?not on Victory

5. Where did you stay? Club Intrawest, Sandestin, FL Plan on using this Labor Day

6. How long? 4 days

We will probably not purchase any more points. By the time our membership is expired we will be platinum.

I can only answer some of the following questions as other than the perks you mention we have not yet booked using our points.

5. Where did you stay?

We are staying at Paradise Beach in Nuevo Vallarta in Sept.

6. How long?

One Week

We have always loved Puerto Vallarta and BIL says this is a great place to stay

It should be a Suite type room with kitchen

NO

We will update you once we have completed this travel. This is actually the Resort certificate and not the $299 certificate. Hope this info helps.

• 2 weeks later...

the following question are about the Land Certificates: If you have used a land certificate.

Chexmix, I'm now looking into booking a Land Shore Trip out of Orlando. This one is the Sheraton Vistana. 2 Bedrooms full with Kitchen etc. for only 299.00 the price of the Certificate. I can bring my friends and family with me. Booking without the Certificate or Carnival Vacation Club membership would of cost 2093.00 for the week at the Vistana, that almost pays for the Bronze package :D

The 7 nights are open for Sept of this year, Im looking into it for Sept of 07 or March of 08.

I will keep you posted.

Fred

So far, everything that wennefred has posted that was Great was the complete opposite for me.

Bought Silver, will be lucky to get 2 cruises. Leaving for Destiny soon. Will only have enough points remaining for a 4 or 5 day with an inside cabin.

We had 2 cabins booked but had to cancel 1. CVC cancelled the booking which totally screwed up everything. Upgrades which we were promised when sold (I know, I know, sales pitch and not in writing) are non existant. No private parties for us because Destiny does not have CVC reps on board. Flight certificate a non issue. I bought better flight with less money that using the certificate (Plus got bumped up front).

Flying down with no docs in hand because CVC lost them. 1 day they had them and would be mailed out in 3 -5 business days. 2 weeks later called CVC. On hold for 42 minutes, they found them and would be FedEx'd out. Next day CVC calls to say they lost them.

From MY EXPERIENCE ONLY, they are a bunch of clowns, unorganized, not professional and have left a bad taste in my mouth.

They still have some time to make me feel warm and fuzzy, but with past experience so far, I'm not keeping my fingers crossed.

Silver & Bronze (less expensive than renting additional points plus more resort stays and airfare certificates)

2 - 1 Eastern Caribbean on the Glory with DW & another Western Caribbean on the Conquest for 7/16 with DW, DD, & DS. Enough points left for a 4 day for DW & I.

Glory - 6B guarantee no upgrade; Conquest - 6E family cabin on Spa deck

Everything Fred mentioned including concierge service from booking a choice table at the Supper Club and the platinum dining room to daily calls from our concierge to see if there was anything they could do for us. Also extended the "perks" to my mother and brother on the same sailing.

Not used yet. CVC rep working on a land resort stay for us for the Holidays.

5. Where did you stay?

6. How long?

concierge service from booking a choice table at the Supper Club .

Johnny, on the Valor I went up to the CVC booth on the first day and booked my Supper Club with them, the guy told me that he would handle it, he even wrote it down.

Next day while exploring the ship, I found Scarletts and I went inside to check to see if my reservations were made. The guy forgot !!!

I made them myself, there was only 1 spot left for the time frame I wanted. I called the Director incharge of CVC on the Valor to let them know I wasnt happy with what happened, I almost missed out on dining that specific night.

She checked into it and for sure the guy told her he really forgot, not sure what happened to the paper he wrote it down on. So she called me back and gave me a 50.00 onboard credit, I was surprised that they can do that. It made my day, Also paid for my Internet service I got for the week.

Fred

Fred,

Wow, sorry to hear of your bad luck. I made a reservation with the lady in the atrium as soon as we boarded the the Glory. I spoke with my concierge to let him know that I specifically needed a table and not a booth as my mother is still rehabilitating from knee replacement surgery she had last February. In addition, since we were celebrating my DW's birthday and since it was a port day, I wanted a table (not booth) with a view so we could see the lights of St. Thomas as we made our 0800pm departure. They delivered on every count. Beautiful! When we arrived at the Emerald Room the hostess referred to us as their VIP guests. There apparently had been follow-up on my request by the CVC as the next day they left a phone message asking if all had gone well at the supper club the night before.

I really can't say enough about those CVC folks on both the Pride and the Glory. They've been nothing but gracious and accomodating. They seem to be a little bewildered by the posts they sometimes read on this board about the club. I was told that on the Glory they make an even more conscientious effort to explain the program more clearly and completely to prospective members as a result. They're listening.

Johnny,

I'm glad to hear you have been treated the way I perceived I would be treated once I became a member. When I first ran into this group on the Pride we immediatly started being treated as something special even before we committed.

The nightmares started when we decided to book our upcoming cruise. With everything thats gone wrong I asked for a small compensation ( a small amount of OBC or a nice bottle of champagne delivered at dinner) and you would have thought I'd asked for a free cruise. Supervisor Stacy said she would get back to me in a few hours. Of course that was 4 days ago.

Hello,

i am glad to have found this thread because.. I feel very foolish about this.. but we have a bronze package bought on the Conquest in 2004. I miss placed it and found it the other day.. egads..

I cannot remember how to choose a cruise .. or basically anything. I feel really lost about this. Please do not be mad at me.. I feel kind of dumb about it already.

can anyone help me? blue angel diver at aol dot com I would be eternally grateful....

Live on Long Island so travel is a junket. People say to me all the time.. oh.. you live blah blah you must be used to the cost.. Hey .. I moved here to live near my fiance. I am overwhelmed with the cost. If this package wasn't already paid for.. geez..

I know I will have to look into the plane and resort ticket issues. I wonder if they are expired by now.. well, with all that said. Hopefully someone will look kindly on me and take pity:(

I surely do hate feeling dumb

Hello,

i am glad to have found this thread because.. I feel very foolish about this.. but we have a bronze package bought on the Conquest in 2004. I miss placed it and found it the other day.. egads..

I cannot remember how to choose a cruise .. or basically anything. I feel really lost about this. Please do not be mad at me.. I feel kind of dumb about it already.

can anyone help me? blue angel diver at aol dot com I would be eternally grateful....

Here is the web site ...

http://www.carnivalvacationclub.com/login.jsp?pid=822256

or call 866-728-1177.

thank you for that listing of the site. My query tho was to have someone talk to me regarding...

how to choose the best cruise for the package.

I don't seem to be as 'savy" as many here in getting the best deal.

Basically you look for the cruise costing the least amount of points. However, then keep on eye on the prices, as four times in five months after I booked my cruise the cost went down. I called CVC was was credited for the lower cost. If I recall correctly, I received back over 2000 points.

Basically you look for the cruise costing the least amount of points. However, then keep on eye on the prices, as four times in five months after I booked my cruise the cost went down. I called CVC was was credited for the lower cost. If I recall correctly, I received back over 2000 points.

Did you check point values on their website or did you check $ on travel websites?

We bought oue CVC package along with klfrodo on the Pride last year. We have not taken a cruise yet, but booked one for next summer on the Conquest. Since our booking in March, the point cost has dropped over 1700 points and CVC was great about crediting us those points back. We are looking into the land vacations down to Florida. We also looked into the Sheraton Vistana and the certif will save us over $1200 for the time we are looking at.

I will have to wait and see. I know that if we book a cruise somewhat in the off season, (in addition to the Conquest) we can get 2 shorter cruises or a 5 day Cruise over Easter.

Did you check point values on their website or did you check $ on travel websites?

I was checking point values on the CVC web site. What made this funny is three of the four times I called the person confirming the new rate said that they were supposed to receive notice from Carnival first (meaning before me). I never told them my source of information was there own web site.

I just checked on some sailings for May 07 and compared to when I checked at the first of June all sailings had dropped. Some balconies were 1000 less pp.

Anyone had any experience with price dropping through the fall of last year on summer sailings?

Chexmix, I'm now looking into booking a Land Shore Trip out of Orlando. This one is the Sheraton Vistana. 2 Bedrooms full with Kitchen etc. for only 299.00 the price of the Certificate. I can bring my friends and family with me. Booking without the Certificate or Carnival Vacation Club membership would of cost 2093.00 for the week at the Vistana, that almost pays for the Bronze package :D

The 7 nights are open for Sept of this year, Im looking into it for Sept of 07 or March of 08.

I will keep you posted.

Fred

Fred, try to find out which accomodations Vistana will put you in. They have 20 year units and much newer units. I've found that when I "trade" into a resort that I've gotten older units, the "owners" get the newer units. I may be wrong but that's my experience.

Archived