snuba vs snorkel

dad2ccc03

I am trying to find out about snuba vs snorkel. I know snuba, you are tethered to the boat. But is the snorkeling any good around Cozumel? I know it is cheaper at Paradise Beach, but wondering if snuba is a lot better or really no difference.

Thanks,

:)

I prefer scuba, but here's an URL to Papa Hogs. Although I don't dive out of this shop when I visit Cozumel, I believe it provides the information you are requesting.

http://www.papahogs.com/site/snuba.php

Please note: This is not an endorsement of Papa Hog's. You should fully investigate any dive shop's policies and safety record.

Normally I recommend "resort diving" (i.e. you scuba dive with an instructor), but I don't think you will have enough time from the ship.

Yes, there is lots to see for either (the visibility is usually 200 plus feet, so it doesn't matter if you on the surface or 20 feet below), but be aware last year's hurricane dramatically damaged the coral.

I prefer scuba, but here's an URL to Papa Hogs. Although I don't dive out of this shop when I visit Cozumel, I believe it provides the information you are requesting.

http://www.papahogs.com/site/snuba.php

Please note: This is not an endorsement of Papa Hog's. You should fully investigate any dive shop's policies and safety record.

Normally I recommend "resort diving" (i.e. you scuba dive with an instructor), but I don't think you will have enough time from the ship.

Yes, there is lots to see for either (the visibility is usually 200 plus feet, so it doesn't matter if you on the surface or 20 feet below), but be aware last year's hurricane dramatically damaged the coral.

I just returned from the Western Caribbean where I snorkelled in Cozumel and did a snuba dive in Grand Cayman. I think both snorkelling and snuba have their positives: snorkelling is less work and offers more freedom, while snuba lets you get closer to the bottom to explore longer, you are still tethered to the raft on the surface.

Snuba will give you the closest experience to scuba diving without doing the resort course or getting certified.

If you are inexperienced with snorkelling and scuba diving -- like I was -- then I suggest you do both on your cruise, if you can. That's what I did and I definitely want to try snuba again. I hear there is a great snuba dive with the stingrays in Grand Cayman.

As for Papa Hog's and snuba, they do not offer snuba anymore. That's what they said when I contacted them about three weeks ago. We did a snuba dive with Kirk Sea Tours in Grand Cayman through Royal Caribbean, and booked a snorkelling tour ourselves with Eagle Ray Divers in Cozumel. I highly recommend both companies.

Archived