Where to Stay in Galveston?

Greg Woolsey

I'm sailing with a group of 6 in September and we got the family room at Commodore on the Beach ($99) (the room has 3 queen beds and a pull-out sofa), free cruise parking, and $25 roundtrip transportation to the dock (that's total, not per person). So, for us, this is a pretty good deal.

http://www.commodoreonthebeach.com/index.html

You may want to reconsider your choice, recent guests have been quite displeased; click on this link:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g55879-d98871-r5225844-Commodore_on_the_Beach-Galveston_Texas.html

Another inexpensive place is Gaido's.

http://www.gaidosofgalveston.com/index.html

Are you sure you don't mean Casey's, also run by the Gaido company? :confused: Gaido's itself is a high dollar steak and seafood place. They opened Casey's next door as a more affordable, casual alternative.

BTW, Gaido's is a FABULOUS place to eat at. We never miss having at least one meal there when we're in town.

Whatever you decide, I hope you have a great pre-cruise stay in Galveston. Happy cruising! :)

Guest TRACKER1
TRACKER1:

Thanks , we will try Landry's and I will be posting a review when I return not to worry and hopefully lots of pics to!!!

We are sailing on the Carnival Conquest but hope to go on the Rhapsody in 07' maybe ;) make sure to let us know how it went!!!

Okly Dokly;

There are other places to eat, Landry's is pricey but not too pricey depending on what you order, I order the Seafood plate,it has everything on it,really not to pricey it's like going to del frisco or another nice restaurant! Hey slurge for once it's your cruise and you probably like me and my DW just do the whole enchilada once a year we deserve it! Hey the Crab Cake Sandwiche's at the wharf for lunch or dinner is fabolus and large! Get some shrimp kisse's!They are excellent as well!

We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort, room was nice and the staff was friendly. We ate at Tortuga just down the street, the fajita's were incredible. I highly recommend both the hotel and restaurant.

We are on a very tight budget and driving from Denver. We will need 2 motel rooms. Do you think we should search for our rooms in Houston ordo you think we can find as good of a deal in Galveston? [motel 6, or it's equivalent would not be a problem for us]

We were also on a budget and we chose not to stay on the Seawall Blvd. in Galveston and found a motel in the middle of Galveston for 51.00 a night. We stayed at Days Inn right off the the highway when you come into Galveston. Rooms and service were great.

Hi and welcome to CC!:D

You might check out the hotel threads on CC about this. I know I found some great Galveston information a few weeks ago over there. I've stayed in Galveston several times and one of the easiest places to stay before a cruise is the Harbor House.

Hi! Do you know if the Harbor House will allow a stay of one night....I've seen mixed comments on this? A group of 16 (mostly teachers with a limited budget) will be cruising next April and we'll be arriving in Houston around 9:30 pm. Thanks for any info you have.

First off, this type of post belongs in the Port Forums - yes even if you are on a Carnival cruise!

I would not stay anywhere but the Harbor House. You get to watch the ship come in and dock in the morning, free continental breakfast, cheap or free parking depending upon your package. Watching the Conquest pull in from your room window - priceless!

Mr. Dood,

Can you stay for one night at the Harbor House and what are the prices? This would be a perfect place for our group of 16.

Hi and welcome to CC!:D

You might check out the hotel threads on CC about this. I know I found some great Galveston information a few weeks ago over there. I've stayed in Galveston several times and one of the easiest places to stay before a cruise is the Harbor House.

Hi! Do you know if the Harbor House will allow a stay of one night....I've seen mixed comments on this? A group of 16 (mostly teachers with a limited budget) will be cruising next April and we'll be arriving in Houston around 9:30 pm. Thanks for any info you have.

I was able to book the HH for one night last December. And I have read on here that it requires a two night minimum. Your best bet would be to call the hotel direct and double check with them. If I am not mistaken, this hotel is non-smoking. It does have a continental breakfast but I opted to walk across the street to Starbucks.

If you are driving to Galveston on I 45 and turn at the sign that points to the cruise ship terminal, there is a Howard Johnson on that road. I have read on here that the rates are really good. I have no idea if they have cruise parking, though.

Last year when we looked for our two rooms in Galveston there were very few places that would allow only one night. (We needed two rooms so it would have costed us way too much!!) We ended up at La Q on Seawall. It was OK. (Pool area and parking lot was very loud most of the night--after 12 pm)

This year La Q was already booked by Oct. for July. The only place available was the Best W -on Seawall. This year we needed 4 rooms for our group.

Harbor House, Hilton, Holiday Inn, and most others require 2 night stay!

Good luck and book early. You will probably find a positve and neg. reviews about any hotel so just remember--it is only one night!!:)

We stayed at the Holiday Inn on the Beach and I can say that the stay there was terrific. The hotel was very nice and the staff were very accommodating. The transfer to the cruise ship went very smooth, but that when things changed. The driver who dropped us off gave me his cellphone number and told me when we got off call him and he would pick us up. So once we were off the ship I called him and he said he was 4 blocks away and would be there soon. After about 15 minutes I called him back and he said he was stuck in traffic. About 15 minutes later he showed up full and said that he was full and that he would send another shuttle for us. I called the hotel and they basically said o well, you can either wait or call a cab. We got a cab and got back to the luggage and I left a voice mail with the hotel manager and told him what happened. He offered to refund my cab cost but I was already 50 miles down the road by . You would think that a business that does this at least twice weekly would have their act together by now, but they didnt. I would definetly not use them again but that is just my opinion.

We stayed at the Hilton Galveston Island Resort, room was nice and the staff was friendly. We ate at Tortuga just down the street, the fajita's were incredible. I highly recommend both the hotel and restaurant.

I agree. I stayed at Hilton last Nov when researching hotels for our group. I didn't get a chance to eat at Landry's but heard many good reviews on the food there. It is also owned by same company as the Hilton, San Luis, & Holiday Inn on the Beach.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TRACKER1
I agree. I stayed at Hilton last Nov when researching hotels for our group. I didn't get a chance to eat at Landry's but heard many good reviews on the food there. It is also owned by same company as the Hilton, San Luis, & Holiday Inn on the Beach.

Definitely thing to do In Galveston Eat at Landrys and Take the Ferry to Bolivar Island and see the dolphins from the Ferry!;) Check out Galveston State Park, $5.00 Entry fee if you dont have a park pass! Good Beach and place to just walk around also Crystal Beach on Bolivar Island is good as well! Its Free! and you can drive along the beach!:) Theres a Good Eating place around there somewhere on the Main Road!;) Lets see thats 3 smiles I cant go over 5!:( One to go!Theres so many places to Eat Go down a Day Early so you can absorb all of the Island in!:D Thats 5 Smiles so Ill say good bye! Smile!! HA HA!

We are sailing on the Conquest on August 20th. We fly in the day before and are wondering which hotels are good and which ones to stay away from. Also, what is the best way to get from the airport to the hotel (ie: Taxi, shuttle, rent a car).:)

look up tripadvisor.com and under search type galveston texas hotel and it will give you a whole list of hotels that past guest have rated and given there opinion. im on the conquest 8/6/06 and decided to stay at the quility inn&suits just a 5 min or so drive to the cruise terminal after reading mostly good reviews from tripadvisor and galveston has a website where you can book different hotels in galveston but i found the best deal just by going directly to the hotels web sight. but you may want to go to galvestons.com just to get an ideal of which hotels there are inn galveston;) :D

look up tripadvisor.com and under search type galveston texas hotel and it will give you a whole list of hotels that past guest have rated and given there opinion. im on the conquest 8/6/06 and decided to stay at the quility inn&suits just a 5 min or so drive to the cruise terminal after reading mostly good reviews from tripadvisor and galveston has a website where you can book different hotels in galveston but i found the best deal just by going directly to the hotels web sight. but you may want to go to galvestons.com just to get an ideal of which hotels there are inn galveston;) :D

I FORGOT TO MENTION IF YOU NOTICE ON SOME WEB SIGHTS IT MAY SAY YOU HAVE TO BOOK FOR TWO NIGHTS TO RESERVE THAT ROOM. JUST CALL THEM AND LET THEM KNOW YOU ARE LEAVING ON A CRUISE AND MOST HOTELS WILL WAVE THE SECOND NIGHT AND SOME EVEN OFFER A CRUISE DISCOUNT ON YOUR ROOM. ALOT OF THESE HOTELS WILL EVEN LET YOU LEAVE YOUR CAR AT THE HOTEL WHILE YOUR ON THE CRUISE. SOME OFFER A RIDE TO THE TERMINAL SOME DO NOT. AND MOST OF THE TIME IT'S AN UNSECURED PARKING LOT WHERE YOU HAVE LEAVE YOUR CAR. I KNOW YOU DID NOT ASK BUT I'LL ALSO TELL YOU ABOUT EZCRUISE.COM IT'S A SECURED PARKING GARAGE FOR $50.00 FOR THE 7 DAYS YOUR ON THE SHIP. ITS ABOUT A BLOCK ARE TWO FROM THE TERMINAL BUT THEY WILL TAKE YOU AND YOUR LUGGAGE TO THE TERMINAL. THE CRUISE TERMINAL PARKING IS $70.00;) :D

If you are driving to Galveston, try the many hotels/motels in the Clear Lake area of Houston. We are right on I-45 approximately midway (30 minutes either way) between Houston Hobby and the Galveston cruise pier. There are many choices of lodging in the area from Hilton to Motel 6. Look for addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or NASA Road #1/NASA Parkway (the road is undergoing a name change) and stop by NASA/Johnson Spacecraft Center for a tour if you have time.

First off, this type of post belongs in the Port Forums - yes even if you are on a Carnival cruise!

I would not stay anywhere but the Harbor House. You get to watch the ship come in and dock in the morning, free continental breakfast, cheap or free parking depending upon your package. Watching the Conquest pull in from your room window - priceless!

get a grip:D

We stayed at the Victorian Condo November 05 and April 06...It's a nice place to rest your body. They have two and three bedrooms with a sofa sleeper in the living area. Both times we had a bonus room with bunk beds. There is a small kitchenette with a microwave no stove/oven. Walmart is within walking distance... We have two two bedrooms booked for this October.

If you are driving to Galveston, try the many hotels/motels in the Clear Lake area of Houston. We are right on I-45 approximately midway (30 minutes either way) between Houston Hobby and the Galveston cruise pier. There are many choices of lodging in the area from Hilton to Motel 6. Look for addresses on Bay Area Blvd. or NASA Road #1/NASA Parkway (the road is undergoing a name change) and stop by NASA/Johnson Spacecraft Center for a tour if you have time.

I agree. We stayed in Clear Lake on a previous cruise, and plan to do this in October. See you on board!

Marie

We stayed at the Victorian Condo November 05 and April 06...It's a nice place to rest your body. They have two and three bedrooms with a sofa sleeper in the living area. Both times we had a bonus room with bunk beds. There is a small kitchenette with a microwave no stove/oven. Walmart is within walking distance... We have two two bedrooms booked for this October.

Robin--glad to hear you have enjoyed staying at the Victorian. We are staying there over Christmas and I was just wondering about the kitchenette...since there is no stove/oven, is there a refrigerator?:confused:

Thanks for your help!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest TRACKER1
Last year we stayed at The Holiday Inn on the Beach, and while it was a nice place, they had a live band playing in their club on that Saturday night, and the "thump" from the bass kept us awake til they quit playing at 2am (and it was in a separate building from the hotel part and still was that loud)! We were so tired the next day when getting ready to go.

Next January we are staying at the new Holiday Inn Sunspree (also on Seawall Blvd.) I think it will be 1 year old this summer. They also let you leave your car there and take you to the ship. They are more on the eastern end of the island, closer to the ship terminal. I hope they don't have a live band that night! :eek:

HI Karen!

We too are trying out the Sunspree Holiday Inn for the First Time as well and me like you hope theres no big Thumping going on! Me and my DW are going in October this Year The 15th. Through the 22nd. We tried it last year but Wilma got in the way! But we enjoyed ourselves anyway it goes with the Hurricane season so you heve to consider that! Have a Good Cruise and hopefully some good nights sleep at the Sunspree Holiday Inn Resort!

Robin--glad to hear you have enjoyed staying at the Victorian. We are staying there over Christmas and I was just wondering about the kitchenette...since there is no stove/oven, is there a refrigerator?:confused:

Thanks for your help!

Sorry...just read this post. There is a small dorm-sized refrigerator in the room. I will be back there in October...will try to repost additional information.

Archived