Which train to take

banderboo

I've been thinking about doing our own land portion rather than taking the tour offered through RCI and was wondering if anyone had any advise on where the best place is to take the train to/from as well as which operator.

thanks

Definately the most scenic portion of the Alaska RR is Seward/Anchorage. If also cruising- I suggest, making the best use of time and either- going directly to/from your ship in Seward by getting there a day early, or staying a day, if arriving. Going in/out Whittier, consider a shuttle directly between Whittier/Seward, or a one way car rental Whittier/Anchorage and doing Seward direct.

Thanks for the info. We will be leaving from Seward with the ship leaving at 10 p.m. so what I'm hoping to do is get in the night before and then spend the entire day in Seward before boarding the ship. Would you recommend this or plan for a whole day the day before we leave as well.

The Alaska RR Seward/Anchorage trip was great. On our trip, the train was half full and we could move around from car to car - was very fun + fantastic scenery and even some wildlife.

Once you get to Seward, it would be great if you have a night to spend. If you only have the day, I would recommend taking a shuttle (for just $9 round trip) to Exit Glacier. Most folks here would probably recommend a boat tour or the Sea Life Center, but the glacier is the best value for the buck and will get you excited about your cruise.

Archived