What's the Best Place to Snorkel in the Caribbean? Survey II

What's the Best Place to Snorkel in the Caribbean?  

245 members have voted

1. 1. What's the Best Place to Snorkel in the Caribbean?

• Virgin Gorda
    • St. John
    • Grand Cayman
    • Cozumel
    • Roatan
    • Barbados
    • Antigua
    • Aruba
    • Bonaire
    • Belize

:D Due to popular request, I am reposting a fresh survey asking you for not just your vote, but your comments, stories and pictures. So tell us, where's your snokeling Mecca and why? If "none of the above", tell us why and where.:D

Bonaire is so easy. You can walk straight from your hotel room into the water and snorkel. Shame it's so hard to get there.

The Kona coast of the Big Island and Black Rock on Maui as great. There are someother good places on Maui, too, I just can't remeber the names.

I voted for Belize, but the place we snorkeled from was a little (less than an acre) island about 10 miles out. The excursion left from the pier at Belize, though. Wish I could remember the name of the group that was running it. Anyway, we saw all kids of sea life including barracuda, sea cucumbers, a lot of tropical fish, etc. A couple people in our group were diving as we were snorkeling, and the water was so clear, we felt like we could almost touch them, even though they were about 25 feet below us. It was awesome!

I voted for Belize, but the place we snorkeled from was a little (less than an acre) island about 10 miles out. The excursion left from the pier at Belize, though. Wish I could remember the name of the group that was running it. Anyway, we saw all kids of sea life including barracuda, sea cucumbers, a lot of tropical fish, etc. A couple people in our group were diving as we were snorkeling, and the water was so clear, we felt like we could almost touch them, even though they were about 25 feet below us. It was awesome!

Was it Goff's Caye? A couple months ago when we were in Belize we took a water taxi to Ambergis Caye, and it wasn't much of an island to snorkel from, very shallow and a lot of sea grass. Everything I read about pointed to Goff's Caye or Mexico Rocks, but we couldn't find water taxi's to either one.:(

:D Due to popular request, I am reposting a fresh survey asking you for not just your vote, but your comments, stories and pictures. So tell us, where's your snokeling Mecca and why? If "none of the above", tell us why and where.:D

1st Place Mecca is Tahiti.......hands down

2nd Place......is Hawaii,.......many beautiful places

Third Place is the Caribbean.....:)

• 4 weeks later...
Hey there brother Jelly!

1. Antigua- Long bay

2. Grand Cayman-Barrier Reef & the "Aquarium" w/Capt. Bryan

3. Cozumel-Playa plancar & Jel, to this day I'm still sorry bout the mix up

Brother Dawg

:D Welcome to the Congregation of Snorkelers Bro. Dawg!

I heard that Palancar Beach Club in Cozumel Mexico is a nice place to snorkel. :rolleyes: Lord knows there's nothing to see a Paradise Beach, just green barnacles on a dock and a bunch of sand.

-Bro. Jelly

How come no one mentioned Turks and Caicos.....my favorite behind Taihiti which was the BEST!
My bro in law was in Turks & Caicos last yr & still raves bout the place, it's on my list...What did you see snorkeling in Tahiti that was special? Snorkeldawg

Bonaire without a doubt. I see where Bonaire and St.Johns are a tie at the moment.

I am betting most that voted for St. Johns never snorkeled at Bonaire. :)

Dominica all the way!!!

Saw a basket ball sized blow fish (not inflated), and a school of reef squid last time I went snorkeling at Scott's head. By the way, the picture next to my name is from champagne beach. It really is like swimming in a champagne glass.

Dominica all the way!!!

Saw a basket ball sized blow fish (not inflated), and a school of reef squid last time I went snorkeling at Scott's head. By the way, the picture next to my name is from champagne beach. It really is like swimming in a champagne glass.

That's another one of those islands I haven't been to that I'd love to see.

Thanks for your input! Mrs.Jellyfish and I have been to the following places, and snorkelled in most of them: Barbados, Antigua, St. Lucia, Grenada, Tortola, Virgin Gorda, St. Thomas, St. John, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, Curacao, Isla Margarita Venezuela, Cozumel, Costa Maya, Belize, Puerto Rico, and Key West.

I'd like to someday say that I've been to every island in the Caribbean, and every cruise we take we seem to catch a couple more ports we haven't seen before. My wife fell in love with the talcum powder white sand beaches in Barbados, and I daydream of being stranded on Virgin Gorda with a fishing pole, some snorkeling gear, and a hammock.....oh and plenty of spending money for the restaurants.:D

-Jellyfish

Encoresue2,

You rated the Turks & Caicos #2. Could you give any suggestions for snorkel locations at Grand Turk? We will be there for the first time on the CCL Elation in a couple weeks.

My best snorkeling in the Carribean was in St Johns USVI with Grand Cayman a close second. Both of these trips were land based for more than 7 days. As I've learned a lot depends on current water conditions so if you only have a one day cruise stop the "luck of the draw" really plays a major role in your snorkel experience.

Great to see this thread. I'm on a cruise, the Seabourn Pride, leaving from Barbados and visiting Margarita Island (Venezeuela), the Grenadines, Tobago, St. Lucia and St. Vincent in December. I appreciate the info. Has anyone been to Margarita Island? I can't find any diving info there at all. The one place I contacted doesn't go out the day we're in port (odd!).

Jane :)

We have been to Margarita Island. We snorkel every chance we get and we did not snorkel there. So, while I really can't remember why we didn't, there must not have been any available excursions. That is one place that I would NOT do an excursion on my own. Everything is really far from the place where you dock. There was a small beach by the ship but I heard that there are lots of jellyfish there. It's kind of a scary place.

Wow thats a tough questions for me. I have been snorkeling for 40 years and been to the best of the best.

You didnt include St Croix, which has Buck Island. Its off shore, and the reef is protected by the National Park Service and its pretty awesome.

I voted for St John, Waterlemon key and offshore St John at Flanagan Island. Pretty impressive.

I implore anyone who snorkels: Please do not stand on the reefs and do your best not to have your fins wack the reef. The reef is alive and fragile, and unknowingly you can damage it by standing on it. Thanks.

Trunk Bay in St John has taken a severe beating due to the above.

Great to see this thread. I'm on a cruise, the Seabourn Pride, leaving from Barbados and visiting Margarita Island (Venezeuela), the Grenadines, Tobago, St. Lucia and St. Vincent in December. I appreciate the info. Has anyone been to Margarita Island? I can't find any diving info there at all. The one place I contacted doesn't go out the day we're in port (odd!).

Jane :)

I've been there once, but we just went swimming and chasing lizards at the beaches right near the dock. There is a pretty extensive thread on this island http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=123457 There is a CC Memeber named klouised that lives on Isla Margarita, and if she's still around, she'd be a great resource for the information you seek. Best of luck!

-jellyfish

Archived