AOS (Aruba itinerary) - HELP!

Leaving Sunday on AOS (Aruba itinerary) and would appreciate any tips, hints, hits and misses, from anyone who has cruised this ship recently.

My wife, 5 1/2 year old son, and I have booked excursions (through RCCL) for St. Maarten (catamaran snorkling) and St. Thomas (trip to St. John). We will be renting a Jeep for the day in Aruba.

What is the one thing that made your trip or ruined it? What are you glad that you did or sorry that you missed?

Thanks in advance for your responses!

Haven't been on this cruise lately, but when we did, we rented a jeep in Aruba. That was awesome! However, the map we got from rental agency wasn't the best. It was a small enough island that if you get lost, just head to the coast and circle the island til you find your way back. Aruba is a beautiful island, but I hear the Natural Bridge has collapsed? Make sure if you are in an uncovered jeep, wear a hat and slather on the sunscreen. My ears got really burnt. You will love Aruba!!

We rented a jeep in Aruba ( no advance reservation - just picked one up at the port) and drove to Baby Beach - it's a fantastic beach, especially of you have kids because you can walk out at least 100 feet and still only have the water at your waist. Nothing ruined our day....the weather was picture perfect and after the beach we dropped off the jeep, headed back to the cabin for quick showers and then off the ship again to have dinner in port. The ship doesn't leave until past midnight, so Aruba is one port that you won't feel rushed.

Enjoy your AOS cruise - we loved it so much that we booked it again for March.

Click on the link in my signature for pics of the cruise and pics of Aruba.

Have Fun! :)

My first cruise on the AOS in March and I loved it! In St. Maarten we did a catamaran and that was my favorite excursion! I also loved the views from paradise point in St. Thomas...it was worth the money for me because I got some great photographs! You are going to have a wonderful trip :D

How far is baby beach from the pier? We're still deciding whether to rent a jeep on our own or go with a tour.

AHHHHRuba, My favorite place in the entire universe.

Baby Beach is quite a ways from the port and definitely out of the way. But that is why it is so much fun to rent your own car and go yourself. Rodgers Beach is just before you get to Baby Beach and much less frequented. Great photos opportunities there. Enjoy Aruba, and as someone else said, don't forget the sunscreen and to reapply frequently. You are very close to the equator and the sun is extremely strong.

Carol

In Aruba you have got to do the Kukoo Kunuku party bus... If you are a drinker you'll have a blast, if you're not a drinker you'll have even more fun watching the drunks. http://www.kukookunuku.com/

In Curacao check out the Bounty sail boat... Little bit of a cab ride to get there, and the shack is a little intimidating, but trust me... The best sailing and snorkelling on the island. The food rocks too. http://www.bountyadventures.com/

It St. Thomas, hands down you've gotta do the Doubloon... I think it's listed with RCCL as Turtle Cove Sail and Snorkel? The crew is great and you'll see some awesome sights. http://www.doubloon.com/

In St. Maarten, go to Orient Beach.. BARE it all... No one knows you... It's an experience.

Just my thoughts.

the fun entertainment in the Duck & Dog Pub

What kind of entertainment is in the pub?

Does the ship have a piano bar (sing along, adult humor-type performer)? We have a duelling piano bar here in town that my wife really enjoys.

What kind of entertainment is in the pub?

Does the ship have a piano bar (sing along, adult humor-type performer)? We have a duelling piano bar here in town that my wife really enjoys.

On our last sailing, they had a woman singing things like "American Pie", etc. She would give out tamborines to the audience, have sing alongs, have everyone sing happy birthday to folks, etc. Very interactive, very fun. We discovered this the last night of the cruise, so I figured I would mention it so people could check it out!

Did you do the Golden Eagle catamaran in St. Maarten? I believe that we booked that excursion. I've been showing my son pictures from Paradise Point from a previous cruise. I think he's more excited about riding the tram.

Other than the entertainment in the pub, does anyone else have any "secrets" they would like to share?

What day and time should I plan on lining up for the ice show tickets?

What day and time is the parade in the Royal Promenade? When and where should we begin waiting if we want a good view?

What was the best time to play mini golf? Was Adventure Beach open all day?

According to weather.com, every place we are going has a 20-30% chance of rain for the next 10 days. Did anyone else look at the forecasts before you left? Was it the same 20-30% chance of rain? Isn't that pretty much every day of the year? If so, how much rain did you actually run into?

Thanks again for your kind and helpful replies. These last two days of work are really interfering with my trip planning!

When we went to Aruba on Adventure of the Seas we did a tour with ABC. It was all day and the highlight of our trip. We went to the natural bridge, Ostrich Farm, Natural Pool, Baby Beach and about 6 other places. You drive your own jeep but go in a caravan. It was great and your five your old will love it.

Snorkling in Curacau at the National Underwater park is the best snorkling I have ever seen! We took boat that picked us up at the pier directly next to the ship. What a wild ride! We got soaked and loved it. They take you to a sunken tugboat not far off shore, you can also get ther by land. I was the most beautiful thing I have ever done.

See my post under excursion help for 69Vee Dub. I wrote the details for Aruba and Curacco. If you rent a jeep--that gives you the perfect oppotunity to go to Flying Fishbone for dinner. Be sure to ask for table closest to sunset and closest to the water. They have a required set time for this request.You need to make reservations. It is something not to be missed. Please see my post.

Archived