Is it normal to see "showers" forecast for everday of cruise?

I don't typically keep up with the weather in the Caribbean, however since we are cruising on Sunday I have been actively watching the weather.

Weather.com shows a 20-60% chance of "showers" for several of the islands during the week. Should we be too concerned or is this the typical brief rainstorm followed by sauna-like conditions?

I don't typically keep up with the weather in the Caribbean, however since we are cruising on Sunday I have been actively watching the weather.

Weather.com shows a 20-60% chance of "showers" for several of the islands during the week. Should we be too concerned or is this the typical brief rainstorm followed by sauna-like conditions?

Yes it is!

I was obsessed with the weather forecasts in the weeks leading up to our cruise and was so upset to see showers forecasted everyday!

Reality was the weather was picture perfect every day - maybe a 10 minute sunshower but that was about it.

I know there is a rainy season, but not sure what months they are?

We typically cruise in February or March.

We used to joke about how boring it must be to be a weather forecaster in the Caribbean most of the year. Basically the same forecast every day: "Low temperature 74 degrees, high 86 degrees, a brief shower in the afternoon" Unless there is a hurricane or tropical depression in the area, rain is usually limited to showers which quickly disappear.:)

Yes. I remember last cruise when we were on the ferry over to St. John, and we had about 2 sprinkles, while those who were on the ship and caught the next ferry were experiencing a brief shower. One small island, and I guess one small rain cloud!

Your second sentence says it all. Unless a front or wave moves through you will have mostly sunny skies, interrupted by large clouds that on occasion drop a lot of water for a few minutes.

Have fun and don't worry about the showers.

Be glad they get these showers !!!!!

THAT IS WHAT KEEPS THESE ISLAND TROPICAL !!!!!

Otherwise you might as well visit Arizona (no offense to those who live there)

They usually are in the afternoon, pretty heavy for a little while and then poof....they are gone.

Like my dad used to say " You won't melt "

Be glad they get these showers !!!!!

THAT IS WHAT KEEPS THESE ISLAND TROPICAL !!!!!

Otherwise you might as well visit Arizona (no offense to those who live there)

They usually are in the afternoon, pretty heavy for a little while and then poof....they are gone.

Like my dad used to say " You won't melt "

I live in Arizona, no offense taken! I agree about the showers being the reason it is tropical. I wouldn't trade our weather, even our summers, however, we do like to go somewhere cooler for a week or two. On our two caribbean vacations so far, it either rained the day we headed out or the last day at sea, which actually was enjoyable. All other days it was sunny!

On our first cruise in May with my DD and her husband we had checked the weather all the way up till the day before we left and it kept saying 40-60% rain but when we were at sea and at the ports, labadee;Ocho Rios, Jamaica; georgetown, Grand Cayman & Cozumel the weather was beautiful. Only time we had any clouds that worried us alittle was in Cozumel. Have a wonderful time, we sure did.:D

Yes- I just got off the explorer(6/2-11). I check the weather in the islands every day for weeks prior and was always upset to see showers forecast- As it turned out It didn't rain once the entire trip....the weather was fabulous. I wished I'd never stressed my self by checking beforehand.

Not a cruise answer, but i read this and smile thinking back to my first trip to St Maarten. My ex and i checked into the hotel, and go down to the beach.... we're lounging around with all the other tourists at the hotel... and at about 10 to 5 (pm)...everyone packs up and runs to the thatched hut bar by the pool.. we look at each other, and say.. boy, what a bunch of lushes here.... sure enough... 5pm comes, the bell rings for happy hour... and at 5:01, clouds appear and the rainstorm begins... lasting about a half hour. Needless to say... the next day... and every day of the week we stayed there... rainstorms came at 5pm every day.. and yes... we learned our lesson... we too were in the bar by 5pm:D

Weather may be dependent on the time of year. We were on an E. Caribbean cruise this past October and it rained hard every day...sometimes ALL day long. We had never had that experience in our 11 prior cruises. It was not any type of tropical storm either. Just good old fashioned rain storms.

Archived