Formal wear for kids..what do you do?

We are on the 7 day CB and are traveling with our 2 young sons who will be 6 and 4 (turning 4 the day we set sail). Knowing them the way that I do, Having them wear a suit or tux would be like asking my beloved BoSox to win the pennant every year for the next 10 years..not gonna happen.

So with my dreams dashed of my handsome boys looking like James Bond for a night..I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what you did as an alternative. I want them to look dressed up but not be figiting, fussy, whiny or disruptive due to the fact that they are uncomfortable (should be noted that both of my boys are on the autism spectrum and clothes can be an issue with them).

I was thinking about getting them nice white dress shirts, black tux pants(or similar looking, I have to be careful about the fabric) and a vest (and crossing my fingers and praying that I can get away with a bow tie or tie) but I know the jacket is going to give me the most trouble with them. I don't want to have them look out of place but don't want them to be miserable. I am not even sure if this idea will work.

Anyone else run into this? Would love any ideas.

I had my two boys wear dark colored Dockers with a white shirt and a "suit" type vest (I was able to get them to wear a tie as well) until they were 10 and 13. Last year when they were 13 and 16 I made them wear suits. Either way, they looked great and I didn't feel out of place with them in the dining room on formal nights.

I have seen many debates on this topic. I have a 5 year old son. We have always dressed him "formally" on the formal nights. We have been doing this since he was a baby. Last year he wore a tuxedo one night and the other formal night he wore a formal captain's suit. :D He was so adorable! Anyways, that's what we do. On our past cruises we have seen young boys in tuxes (not many), suits and the like. I would say from our experience we mostly see the young boys in dress pants along with a shirt and tie. I think you'll be just fine. You, as their Mom knows what's best. Try not to stress over it too much.

Also, I have a suggestion for you. In OUR experience formal nights tended to last a bit longer. Children can become anxious, bored, etc. We bring a couple of books and a coloring book so he has something to do in the down time. We also order a juice for him in a champagne/wine glass for him so he can feel special too.

I believe his/her manners and appropriate behavior is just as important on formal nights (other meals too) than what we dress our children in. Just my 2 cents...

Enjoy your cruise! I'm sure your boys will look just fine!;)

Happy Cruising,

Courtney

We are on the 7 day CB and are traveling with our 2 young sons who will be 6 and 4 (turning 4 the day we set sail). Knowing them the way that I do, Having them wear a suit or tux would be like asking my beloved BoSox to win the pennant every year for the next 10 years..not gonna happen.

So with my dreams dashed of my handsome boys looking like James Bond for a night..I was wondering if anyone else has encountered this and what you did as an alternative. I want them to look dressed up but not be figiting, fussy, whiny or disruptive due to the fact that they are uncomfortable (should be noted that both of my boys are on the autism spectrum and clothes can be an issue with them).

I was thinking about getting them nice white dress shirts, black tux pants(or similar looking, I have to be careful about the fabric) and a vest (and crossing my fingers and praying that I can get away with a bow tie or tie) but I know the jacket is going to give me the most trouble with them. I don't want to have them look out of place but don't want them to be miserable. I am not even sure if this idea will work.

Anyone else run into this? Would love any ideas.

For children that age, what you're proposing is fine.

Old Traditionalist here - but I think dark trousers, white shirt, and vest fine for young lads.

That said, I do have a wonderful photo of one granddaughter (6) and one grandson (3) both dressed very formally (gown for her, tux for him) on one of their cruises.

Archived