another weather question

EydieG

then expect rain. The locals say it's because the chants and dances stir up the old Gods. Weather will be a little cooler then, but still plenty warm. Even when it rains, it's not cold and life pretty much goes on as usual unless it's a real gullywasher. I don't think there's a bad time to go to Hawai'i myself. Late March/early April will see some rain, but also plenty of sun too.

Charlie

then expect rain. The locals say it's because the chants and dances stir up the old Gods. Weather will be a little cooler then, but still plenty warm. Even when it rains, it's not cold and life pretty much goes on as usual unless it's a real gullywasher. I don't think there's a bad time to go to Hawai'i myself. Late March/early April will see some rain, but also plenty of sun too.

Charlie

Sorry, but what is the Merrie Monarch?

88-90 only....not as hot as texas or the southwest. Some say it's humid here but I think its hotter and more humid in Massachusetts in summer.

The only difference between now and August is that it doesnt cool so much in the evening so sleeping without air conditioning is rough. You will find that the heat isnt as much as the problem as the severity of the sun. It feels so much hotter in the direct sun and you will burn much faster.

Christmas can be very nice, highs in the hi70s - lo 80s (except for the summits of Mauna Kea and Mauna Loa!). There's also the chance of some Kona disturbances, with cloudier skies even on the "sunny" sides of the islands and pretty much rain everywhere. Cooler nights than summer.

Once I went in early Jan and spent about two weeks on Kauai and BI. I came home paler than when I arrived. Highs only rarely hit 70. It happens.

I guess the point is - every month can have super weather or less-than-super weather. April can be wonderful or rainy. August can be wonderful or a bit too hot. December can be wonderful or a bit too cool.

My advice it to not consider the trip a failure just because you were unable to do a few things that you really really wanted to do cuz the weather stunk. Always - have alternatives in mind if weather or other unforseen events result in a change in plans. You're in Hawaii, after all!

IMO, the "best" months to visit Hawaii are not the drier summer months. Don't get me wrong, DH and I think any month is a good month for Hawaii. It's just that we prefer the slightly cooler times, March through May and October through early December.

One year, we were there in late September and hit the highest highs we'd ever experienced on the islands. It was in the 90's to just over 100 on Oahu pretty much every day (plus the trade winds were taking a break that week). I do realize that it is unusual, even in September, for it to be that hot, but it really was too hot for our tastes. OTOH, that meant more time in the water to cool off...so there was an upside.

If you are looking for a time when you can be sure it won't rain at all, don't bother. It's possible to have a dry week at any time of the year. It's more likely to happen in the summer. However, there's a reason that much of Hawaii is green (and it is tropical). It is likely to shower now and then no matter when you visit. In fact, during hotter times and especially if the trade winds aren't blowing, those showers are a welcome relief. Usually, the trade winds keep most of the islands pleasant pretty much year round. There's just no guarantee of what the weather will be like. One year, we had a super dry week in February; last June we had rain every single day on both the BI and Maui. It was mostly showers that came and went quickly; I'd say lasting 15 minutes or so.

In the winter months, it's possible to be there when one of the storms comes in and hangs around. That happened to us one year. We didn't get to do much snorkeling and some other activities, but that did not ruin our trip in any way. We still had a wonderful time.

beachchick

Archived