What's Your Experience w/ Pers Dining on IP?

monty95

When we booked our September cruise to Alaska 6 months ago, we were given a choice between Personal Dining and normal. Since I had never heard of this and it sounded much more flexible, it sounded like a good idea. After reading some of the posts, it sounds like it's 50/50 as to whether it's a good thing or a bad thing.

I don't think, at this late date, I could change if I wanted to, but my question to all of you experienced cruisers is, what's been your experience with Personal Dining on the Island Princess...especially on the Alaskan run? It still sounds interesting, but I would like to know what to expect. Which dining rooms are best? Are there any of the other restaurants on the ship included in the personal dining choice (I see from some posts that some other venues don't charge extra on some ships if your on Personal Dining)? Thanks in advance!

We tried PC for the first time on the Island. We switched to traditional after the second night due to long waits and slow service. I have talked with several people that experienced the same. I've also talked to people that had no problems.

There is only one PC dining room on the Island Princess. I think the other reviews you are talking about are for the Diamond/Sapphire which has a different PC dining setup than the other ships.

We did PC on the Grand and loved it. So maybe it is hit or miss I don't know.

Scott

We really like PC dining, and that was our choice on the Island. There is little difference between traditional and personal choice dining rooms and the menus are the same. We are early diners, so we had no problems with getting a table for two. The big difference between personal and traditional is the service. The service is very good with PC, but the waiters don't get to really know you since you have different waiters each night. (You can choose the same waiter if you like.) With traditional, the waiters develop a rapport with you....they see you every night and know your preferences, so you do get special attention. If that matters, then traditional is the best for you. On occasion we made reservations for PC dining, but I think you can only reserve up to 6:30. Maybe someone else can clear that up for you. The Island has two special dining rooms and the charge is $20 per person. The Bayou and Sabatini's. Food is very, very good in both places, but go hungry!!! Hope I helped.

We had traditional dining last summer on the Star Princess. I noticed that with the late departures from three of the ports that the dining room was practically empty on those nights. It seems like PC dining might be good for this type of itinerary. Our only time with PC dining was on a cruise to New England/Canada on the Golden. We enjoyed not feeling rushed and ended up eating after 9:00 most nights.

Generally, I much prefer traditional as I like to get to know the waiters and the special attention. Our one experience with PC dining was on the Grand and it wasn't a good one. Even after getting to the dining room after 9PM every night, we still had to wait 30 - 45 minutes for a table. At the time, we didn't know you could make a reservation but now we do. We're trying it again on our Caribbean Princess cruise in December.

Isn't it funny how it seems to be the luck of the draw.

On the Island we had 1.5 hour wait for a table for two.

On the Grand we never had more than a few minute wait.

But others have encountered the exact opposite. I wonder why it varies so much?

Scott

what's been your experience with Personal Dining on the Island Princess..
It was wonderful last November on the Island Princess. We had a standing reservation at same time, same table for 2, same waiter and had great personal service. Our waiter got to know us and always had our wine, drinks, special requests waiting for us each night. Don't believe all you read about being "pushed through" and having to wait for hours. Yes, I guess it could happen but on 4 different Princess ships totally 41 nights with PC dining we have never experienced any of these problems with or without reservations but we do prefer to dine between 5:45 and 6:15.

ahracer -- depends on when you decide to dine. We are early diners and have never had to wait on either the Golden or Island.

Not always. On the Grand we we dined anywhere from 6:30 - 8:00 each night and got right in.

I don't recall on the Island the exact times but both nights were over an hour wait for a table for two.

Scott

We had good experiences on the Grand (2 cruises, 14 nights). Of course we dine early too (6:30ish). The time of evening seemed to be the critical thing with PC dining.

We did ask on the Grand and they did not make PC reservations for tables for 2. We will be on Coral in March, so maybe they will?

Based on these replies, and the fact that we like to eat early too, I think we'll stay with PC dining. I haven't checked with our TA on the waiting list for traditional dining, but I think we'll risk it. Thanks for al the replies!

It sounds like you've made your decision, so I won't enter my experience into the mix. (It was a positive one, though.) I'll just add that once you find a waiter you like, you can request through the maitre'd to keep the same table and time slot for the rest of the cruise. In answer to your other question about which restaurants are included, you can always eat at the Horizon Court (buffet). Also, there is a pizza counter and "The Grill," which serves hamburgers, bratwurst, and grilled chicken sandwiches and fries. There is also an ice cream shop on board, but that is at an extra charge. Lastly, you can also have food delivered to your stateroom with only the addition of a tip for the deliverer, if you wish. That is a nice option for breakfast! Hope you enjoy your trip!

Thanks Saxygirl. We've done traditional dining before and it was a good experience. I think the reviews here seem to be pretty consistent if you like to dine early...which we do. I'll be sure to post a trip report when we get back.

Thanks All for the replies.

We had a standing reservation at same time, same table for 2, same waiter and had great personal service. Our waiter got to know us and always had our wine, drinks, special requests waiting for us each night.
I think one of the advantages of the Anytime Dining process is that you can tailor your experience they way you want it. The above describes something that you can come by in the Anytime Dining room, but it’s really a Traditional experience, isn’t it? It’s just that you can actually pick the time you’d like to dine, and with the luck of the draw get a good set of waiters.

I think most that use Anytime Dining don’t do it this way – they are more apt to not have a specific dining time or table. This seems to be where the complaints about the system come from. Some comment the service isn’t personal enough, some comment they can’t get into the dining room immediately when they want without reservations, some comment they have to make reservations to get into the dining room immediately when they want. Some comment about being rushed, others about the service being too slow…having a standing reservation alleviates all that…

Island Princess has an awesome dining staff, and I think you'll be happy whatever your choice. We had PC Dining with the same table/staff probably 7 out of 10 nights. We virtually never waited, except to get from a crowded lobby to the dining room podium. This was on the Canal trip, though....

Stew, I don't recall any of the tables for two being near the window. Is that what you are looking for? The one thing that I would mention about tables for two is that some are *uncomfortably* close together, with a matter of less than 6 inches between the tables. It's awkward, because the other two are close enough to be dining with you, but they really aren't. Do you make friendly banter because they are so nearby? Or do you ignore them because they chose a table for two for a reason?? Try to scope out a table where this isn't the case, because there are quite a few of them as well.

Also, if you're not set on seeing a show at a given time, the dining room tends to clear out about 15-20 minutes before the big evening shows begin. That's a good time to "walk up." Usually 7:40ish, but check your patters.

We did ask on the Grand and they did not make PC reservations for tables for 2. We will be on Coral in March, so maybe they will?

Try speaking to the Maitre'd as you enter the dining room the first night to make those arrangements, rather than calling the Dining Room reservations line. We haven't had any trouble when we've done that, but we are pretty flexible about accepting whatever dining time that's offered and not real fussy about the location of the table. Then, if we know that we'll be dining elsewhere any given night, or need to make a time switch for something, we just let the maitre'd know that he can give our table/time away.

BJS or others can you recommend a PC table for 2 on the port side on the Island? Thanks
Sorry, wish I could help you there but have sat at so many tables for two on so many different ships.

The first night scope out the dining room as you enter (it may be possible just to open the door and walk in that afternoon to find a table you like - bring a camera and if anyone says anything just say you'd like a picture of the empty dining room), before being seated, and ask "is it possible to be seated there"? If that is the location you desire ask for a standing reservation for the remainder of the cruise. When we call for the reservation the first day we ask for a table for two but frequently when we get to the dining room we are asked "table for two or would you like to join others?". Apparently it is more a reservation for two, on some of the ships, than a reservation for a table for two. Like others have posted timing seems to be the most important if you do not want to wait. Formal nights, because of the cocktail receptions preceeding dinner, seem to fill earlier than other nights. If you make your reservation for about 15 min. before they end your chances for a table for two, on those ships, will be greatly improved. I am not an expert at this but I can only say we have only had a table for two, for 41 nights on 4 different Princess ships, and it has always seemed to work for us and we have never had to wait.

Archived