1st Time Cruiser...Could be a Stupid Question

This may be a stupid question but I am new to all this so forgive me. If I bring my own Snorkling gear, can I just go snorkeling and not have to worry about any paying for anything. I don't know the rules and I am just trying to figure stuff out before I go.

This would be for Coco Cay.

We don't snorkel but -

There are severe luggage restrictions such as number of bags and total weight of the bags. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags with a maximum weight and linear dimension. How bulky is your gear? The over limit charges are fierce, $80 per bag.

Take that into consideration when the snorklers come in with their tales.

Hey, Rob.

I believe RC requires you to wear a snorkeling vest when you snorkel on CocoCay. If you don't have one/don't want to bring one, you can rent one. I do recommend bringing your own mask. We rented a couple of years ago and they were in terrible shape. Since then I've purchased my own and always bring it with me.

We don't snorkel but -

There are severe luggage restrictions such as number of bags and total weight of the bags. Each passenger is allowed 2 bags with a maximum weight and linear dimension. How bulky is your gear? The over limit charges are fierce, $80 per bag.

I certainly would not be worried about weight and size... we always bring snorkeling gear and it takes out no room at all.. a mask and a snorkel is nothing.. and even when we bring all the fins, they will go nicely right into a suit case.. all this stuff weighes practically nothing..

Take them and have fun! :)

I certainly would not be worried about weight and size... we always bring snorkeling gear and it takes out no room at all.. a mask and a snorkel is nothing.. and even when we bring all the fins, they will go nicely right into a suit case.. all this stuff weighes practically nothing..

Take them and have fun! :)

What would be an inexpensive snorkeling set to get? I don't want to spend too much, but would like to get a decent set.

Thanks for all the advice.

Here is a question, were do you plan to snorkle on your own? In some places, just to get where it is nice for snorkling you need a boat. You can snorkle on your own at CoCo Cay.

Yes, do bring your own gear.

This may be a stupid question but I am new to all this so forgive me. If I bring my own Snorkling gear, can I just go snorkeling and not have to worry about any paying for anything. I don't know the rules and I am just trying to figure stuff out before I go.

This would be for Coco Cay.

EXCELLENT question, thank you!:)

I bought a decent mask and mouthpiece at Walmart for about $29. I have had the fins for a long time and they came with the previous set I had. Somehow I lost the mask and mouthpiece from the old set. I don't always wear the fins so I am not going to bring them on my next cruise.

Have fun on your cruise.

We don't snorkel but -

What are the maximum weight and linear dimensions? What is the weight per bag? We are sailing our first cruise the end of July so this is all new to me. Do they follow the same guidelines as the airlines?

The ship has a weight limit of 200 pounds per person. As far as I know, they do not have linear dimension limits. If you are flying in, the airline's weight limit will keep you well under the ship's limit. I think that the Big Bopper was talking about airlines' limits.

What would be an inexpensive snorkeling set to get? I don't want to spend too much, but would like to get a decent set.

Thanks for all the advice.

I bought the kids set at walmart under 10.00. I have a better set that is a "dry snorkel" where the water doesn't flow down the tube if you go under water. I got the whole set on ebay brand new for around 20.00. (They sell for about 60.00 in stores) I do not remember the brand, but it came with a carry case, fins, mask and dry snorkel... very nice and fun to use. :)

and to the poster who said about safety vests in cococay.. we snorkeled there also and did not have to rent any.. they are probably a good idea if you are not a strong swimmer, but we never felt the need to rent them..

What are the maximum weight and linear dimensions? What is the weight per bag? We are sailing our first cruise the end of July so this is all new to me. Do they follow the same guidelines as the airlines?

As someone already answered you, there is only a weight limit of 200 lbs per person. I am going to assume the PP was referring to airline restrictions with dimention and also thinking that you were bringing SCUBA gear (ie, very heavy and bulky)

and to the poster who said about safety vests in cococay.. we snorkeled there also and did not have to rent any.. they are probably a good idea if you are not a strong swimmer, but we never felt the need to rent them..

When we were at CocoCay this past January, we had our own snorkel gear and were informed by one of the lifeguards that we needed to have a vest and we could rent them from the snorkel shack. Perhaps you snorkeled in a different area, away from the lifeguards? We decided the water was too cold anyway and chose not to snorkel and just relaxed on the beach instead. Oh, waiter, another cocoloco please! :D

When we were at CocoCay this past January, we had our own snorkel gear and were informed by one of the lifeguards that we needed to have a vest and we could rent them from the snorkel shack. Perhaps you snorkeled in a different area, away from the lifeguards? We decided the water was too cold anyway and chose not to snorkel and just relaxed on the beach instead. Oh, waiter, another cocoloco please! :D

No actually we were right in the main part.. but no one ever said anything to us at all.. not know why bit no one ever did.. :confused:

Just one piece of advise on bringing your own mask. Wrap it well and carry it on board. Learned the hard way that masks will shatter into a million little pieces when they break (this was in a checked piece of luggage). We now carry on a small duffle bag with our masks and snorkles, and just slide it under the bed until we need it. Enjoy!

Just back from Coco Cay and yes we took our own fins and masks. There were 5 of us and I could fit the kids fins and masks and everyone's water shoes in a small carry on size suitcase. My and my husbands fins went in the bottom of our suitcase. I bought the kids and hubby's mask and fins for $20 at Wal mart. We stayed close to the beach, so we didn't need a vest and the life guard was on a deck out in the water away from the beach so no one said anything to us about a vest either. There were a lot of pretty fish near the rocks close to the beach, so we didn't have to go far to see them. Hope this helps.

And yes, "Cold beer, cold water!!" and Nice Coco loco please!!

No actually we were right in the main part.. but no one ever said anything to us at all.. not know why bit no one ever did.. :confused:

RC--being inconsistent? Who woulda thought? ;)

Well, I'm going in July and will bring our own gear (again). Hopefully we'll get away without having to rent the vests this time. It's not a big deal $$-wise, I just find them uncomfortable to wear. Take care!

We bring our own gear and actually purchased the safety vests, as well. We don't wear them if we don't have to, but we've had some that we've rented that were pretty moldy & grungy. The vests cost about $20 and we go often enough that they paid for themselves in no time....

Archived