? for those who explored Progreso...

While we were there we just went to the flea market where the shuttle lets you off and then to the beach. Are there any other stores other than the ones at the market and the ones you pass going to the beach? I remember when taking the shuttle back to the ship we made the block and we got to see the open air meat market and selling eggs by the pound, seems like back behind that there were some stores for the tourist, was I imagining that?

TIA

Certainly. About 3 or 4 blocks from the "flea market" there is the local "downtown" shopping area which is very interesting.

We will be there in early August and I'm interested in finding out what sort of things we'll find in the makets in Progreso. I guess I'm looking for a good overview of what I can expect to find in the markets ("tourist and "downtown") of Progreso.

My point of reference for shopping in Mexico is many trips to Laredo/Nuevo Laredo over the years and a trip years ago to Monterey and Saltillo. Shopping always figures heavily in any trip to Mexico.

Thanks.

Cary

It is fun to wander off of the beaten path. We make it a habit to get several blocks away from the tourist traps just to look around and to see the unusual. We found sweat pants and shirts for $6 @ and bought a water and a coke for $1. It would be 2 or 3 times as much on the Malecon. The mercado behind the fish market has some neat stuff and you need to try the food. There was some food there that I had never seen before that was pretty good. I figured if the locals ate it, it must be good. It was, but I still don't know what was in it?:confused:

Peabody. The State of Yucatan, Merida and Progreso are in no way like your typical border town such as Nueva Laredo. Yuck! Nor are they like your standard resort towns such as Cancun and Cozumel. These areas don't depend on the tourist dollar to exist. Merida is the state capitol and home to four universitys and a population of one million. Of course tourism is important to the economy, but it seems that most visitors come from Europe and other parts of Mexico and even the fareast. My initial reasoning was that this was an area kind of undescovered by those from the US and Canada. I must say that it was kind of refreshing in that regard. There are many options for activities. http://www.Yucatantoday.com gives good ensight. I returned one week ago from my third land vacation to the area after two earlier cruise port calls.

• 4 weeks later...

I am late posting this but...I didn't care for Progreso. However I did venture out of the flea market area. For one everyone kept staring at us like they never saw black people, and maybe they hadn't. But the vendors are entirely too pushy. We walked down to the beach after trying to figure out how to ask somebody how much water was lol.

I am late posting this but...I didn't care for Progreso. However I did venture out of the flea market area. For one everyone kept staring at us like they never saw black people, and maybe they hadn't. But the vendors are entirely too pushy. We walked down to the beach after trying to figure out how to ask somebody how much water was lol.
Hola amigo,

Don't let the stares offend you. I got the same thing in Niagara Falls. They had never seen an Arkie before. I thought that I was going to need a hillbilly interpurator. (Sorry about the spelling, but we just moved and I can't find our dickshunary.):D

Here are some phrases for your next trip:

Quantos cuestra? How much?

Donde es el bano? Where is the bathroom?

Estoy muy barracho y quiero mortar. I am very drunk and I want to die.

Donde esta me pantalones? Where are my pants?

There are a few others that are useful, but these will take care of most problems.

• 2 months later...

I am so sorry this happened to you. I am surprised at the staring. We do have black people in the area. I am not, however, surprised at the pushy vendors. Vendor behavior when the cruise ships are in is entirely different than it is when they are not. I have often had to forcefully tell them that I am NOT a tourist! :mad: I am also surprised that you had difficulty finding out how much water is. Most locals speak enough English to at least communicate with tourists and the Americans and Canadians who live in the area - and there are quite a few!

Archived