Crown - not for us

Dena

I am glad somebody sees where I am coming from.

I too agree. From a newbie cruiser I can understand the concerns but from frequent sailors I cannot comprehend it. If the ship is too large, choose a smaller one; too many kids, find an adullt-only cruise. If you want to be close to that certain someone find a discreet island in the middle of nowhere. :p

You are correct, a holiday is a personal choice and I was hesitant about the ship to begin with due to size, pax capacity, MUTS, appeal to families, etc.; all of those are unappealing to me.

There is value IMO in the opinions and experiences of others. My decision to cancel is because I know myself and my tastes very well.

There have not been many negative posts about Crown at all. I simply know from personal experience that I am happiest on a smaller ship with personal service, excellent food and a quiet atmosphere. Or, alternatively, at a land based hotel/resort that is appealing on multiple levels.

How full the glass is has nothing to do with it My glass is full most all the time, but my preferred beverage is perhaps different from yours.:)

Although you've stated that you perfer smaller ships, I see that you're booked on the Sovereign of the Seas...not too tiny at 2900 cruisers!

I enjoy a chilled chardonnay..or Masi...you?:D

Although you've stated that you perfer smaller ships, I see that you're booked on the Sovereign of the Seas...not too tiny at 2900 cruisers!

I enjoy a chilled chardonnay..or Masi...you?:D

SOS is business; I have a group of 126 aboard. Size is right but too many pax for me and too short as well.

No Chards here. I prefer reds with lots of depth and texture.:)

SOS is business; I have a group of 126 aboard. Size is right but too many pax for me and too short as well.

No Chards here. I prefer reds with lots of depth and texture.:)

Then you'll like the Masi...its Italian from the Venetian area of Italy and made of Veronese grapes...prices range from $20 to $400. There's also Rustego produced and bottled by Giacomo Montresor.

When in doubt in an Italian restaurant you can always choose the Montelpuciano d'Abruzzo. A full bodied wine if ever did see one!:D

I agree with the OP. I had a cruise booked on Crown but am going to cancel this week. Nothing I have read indicates it would be a good choice for my personal taste so I am looking eslewhere.

The reason they need the Sanctuary is that these large ships attract more families, hence more kids. These days on so many mainstream ships, there is simply no way to escape them.:mad: I for one, do not care to have noise and kids on vacation so my Sanctuary bill at the end of the cruise would be pretty high. Add that to all the other up charges (specialty restaurants, fitness classes, etc) and I have spent as much as I would on a luxury line who does not nickel and dime.

JMHO and I am sure the Crown is beautiful and will do well for Princess. But, I am going to stick with the smaller ships and the lines that do not go after the family market.

In order to avoid too many kids, we try to go when most of them are in school. We are booked for October the last eastern cruise.

We also prefer the smaller ships, but are looking forward to the Crown because it is new and leaving from NY which is very close to where we live. .

The CB was very large and seemed more crowded than the Island or the Sun. which are smaller ships. Also we went in June after the kids got out of school and you could not even get near the pools.

I think one problem on the larger ships is that they add more cabins to accomodate more people but do not add enough space in the public rooms.

Then you'll like the Masi...its Italian from the Venetian area of Italy and made of Veronese grapes...prices range from $20 to $400. There's also Rustego produced and bottled by Giacomo Montresor.

When in doubt in an Italian restaurant you can always choose the Montelpuciano d'Abruzzo. A full bodied wine if ever did see one!:D

I drink Montepulciano and quite enjoy it..great values to be had as well.

I will add Masi to my list and ask my wine guy about it this weekend.

My "Monday-Friday" blends include: Joseph Phelps Pistiche red (13), Ladybug Red by Lolonis (10), Menage a Tois Red (sp? 9), Fide Red Head Red (10). Gotta love those blends for value:D.

I drink Montepulciano and quite enjoy it..great values to be had as well.

I will add Masi to my list and ask my wine guy about it this weekend.

My "Monday-Friday" blends include: Joseph Phelps Pistiche red (13), Ladybug Red by Lolonis (10), Menage a Tois Red (sp? 9), Fide Red Head Red (10). Gotta love those blends for value:D.

No offence but that should be Pastiche......and I see that these are all California wines!

Sanctuary Pool was popular and fun although it was not for adults only. The posted sign indicated that children must be accompanied by an adult and there were a couple of teens swimming against the current. The adult pool at the rear of the ship was also very popular, and, as with the Sanctuary Pool, almost impossible to find vacant lounge chairs.

We really enjoyed the cruise, especially the "private dance lessons" with Jamie and Jackie. Only about 22 couples were accepted and I spoke with many who wished they had signed up. Food and service was excellent.

You are correct, a holiday is a personal choice and I was hesitant about the ship to begin with due to size, pax capacity, MUTS, appeal to families, etc.; all of those are unappealing to me.

There is value IMO in the opinions and experiences of others. My decision to cancel is because I know myself and my tastes very well.

There have not been many negative posts about Crown at all. I simply know from personal experience that I am happiest on a smaller ship with personal service, excellent food and a quiet atmosphere. Or, alternatively, at a land based hotel/resort that is appealing on multiple levels.

How full the glass is has nothing to do with it My glass is full most all the time, but my preferred beverage is perhaps different from yours.:)

Using these boards to make certain choices is what I thought it was for. Yes everyone's tastes are different some things that would bother me may not bother you. I just got off the Crown, had my 12 yr. DS and my DH, there was only 112 kids on this cruise so it wasn't really a problem. This weeks cruise is supposed to be over 700 kids on it. I love my kid but not 700 of them!!! Picking a right time of year is always good when kids are out of school you know there's going to be ton's of them. Sanctuary is such a small part of the Crown Princess it really wasn't a big deal. There is limited space for Adults only, we tried several times to get a seat at the aft adult pool but I think those people grab them at 6:00 am. Caviargirl to me it seems like this ship would not be for you. I also like a smaller more intimate ship yet I did enjoy my vacation and will cruise again but only on a smaller cruise ship. I enjoyed M.U.T.S. and the fantastic shows the Crown had but I didn't like the feeling of constantly searching for a seat, waiting for elevators, or waiting 20 minutes for a waiter to ask me at dinner if I needed a drink. It became quite frustrating. I am not a picky person went on this cruise knowing I had to be open minded because of the newness of it but the service problems were overwhelming on this cruise. Not that the staff didn't try, I actually felt sorry for them. It was just too many people on a ship where the Public Space really couldn't provide for them. I think the Crown will only get better with time and will hopefully better trained to handle these crowds.

This weeks cruise is supposed to be over 700 kids on it. I love my kid but not 700 of them!!! Picking a right time of year is always good when kids are out of school you know there's going to be ton's of them. Sanctuary is such a small part of the Crown Princess it really wasn't a big deal.

There is limited space for Adults only, we tried several times to get a seat at the aft adult pool but I think those people grab them at 6:00 am. Caviargirl to me it seems like this ship would not be for you. I also like a smaller more intimate ship yet I did enjoy my vacation and will cruise again but only on a smaller cruise ship. I enjoyed M.U.T.S. and the fantastic shows the Crown had but I didn't like the feeling of constantly searching for a seat, waiting for elevators, or waiting 20 minutes for a waiter to ask me at dinner if I needed a drink. It became quite frustrating. I am not a picky person went on this cruise knowing I had to be open minded because of the newness of it but the service problems were overwhelming on this cruise. Not that the staff didn't try, I actually felt sorry for them. It was just too many people on a ship where the Public Space really couldn't provide for them. I think the Crown will only get better with time and will hopefully better trained to handle these crowds.

I have already rebooked a different line and ship and your experiences confirm my concerns.

Thanks for sharing and being honest!

Archived