Formal night ?

St.Love

I am 43 and been on 30 cruises, the past 6 cruises have been on Carnival. There has been a dressed down atmosphere within the past 3 years. I used to dress in evening gowns, my husband never wore a tuxedo but wore a dark suit with die and shoes. Some of you will argue but I am going to tell you as it is from my experiences.

Firstly I am sick and tired of bringing formalwear to just wear to a dinner as after dinner 90% of people dress down into shorts and shirts. I cannot see lugging all that heavy excess formalwear to just wear 2-3 hours for dinner. As a result, we started dressing down ourselves where I would wear (first formal evening is always more formal) a cocktail dress and the second black pants and a fancy nice shirt. My husband wore a suit, dress shirt and tie. The past 3 cruises we decided to dress more down as so many others are doing the same. I have seen men in just collared polo shirts or short sleeve dress shirts and women in pants or skirt.....I now bring one pair of nice black pants and bring 2 seperate nice blouses and my husband will wear dark pants with a long sleeve dress shirt with tie the first evening and no tie the second no jacket. Its fine, trust me you will not have a problem, you will see some in long gowns to cocktail dresses to pants and even some fancy non denim long shorts.

Now some of you will argue but a question was asked here and I am just speaking with my experience and answering what I wear on formal nights. Leaving tomorrow Bon Voyage!!

I think it's too bad that you took the "if you can't beat them, join them attitude".

When we were on Carnival two years ago we saw that probably 40-50% of the people change clothes after formal dinner - certainly more than 10%. Also, I believe CCL's paperwork says formal attire is recommended - it used to say required if I'm not mistaken. I, too, am one who hates lugging the dress shoes (DH wears size 14 so believe me, they are heavy) and formal clothes. We still dress a little more formal on formal nights, but certainly not how we did years ago.

Fair Question and I will give an answer why we won't bring it but my husband works in a fortune 500 company and they do have formal events each year, not mentioning our golf club we belong to also has formal events as well as business Christmas and New Years Party events all are of formal attire. We attend a number of formal events each and every year but speaking why we do not dress in formalwear on cruises:

1- It is excess luggage to me and another piece of luggage to bring

2- Why bring it and wear it as 90% of people change after dinner so you lug this formalwear with you to wear just 2-3 hours doesn't make any sense to me.

3- I am 43 and have been on over 30 cruises, years ago dining was a real unique experience with wonderful great food. Nowadays, cruise lines are really cutting quality and quantity and I have seen a huge difference, to me, dining in the restaurant is a cruise experience but the food to me is similiar to eating in a 3 star regular establishment, nothing fancy or special to it as it was years ago or eating at a fine dining establishment. Carnival also does the dances and songs, ok, entertainment but to me its tacky especially on formal night. I rate cruise ship food anywhere from fair-good with a very few exceptions that are very good. They used to serve within a week cruise Creme Brulee (the real stuff that you would "die for"), Crepes Suzette and Baked Alaska to name a few, now, they are serving just regular nothing special desserts plus ice cream and sherbert. Up until about 7 years ago you would never find hamburgers, hot dogs, french fries being served, you got hotter better dishes that were wonderful and a much better assortment of different dishes. Cruise lines now take away lunch in the dining room either a few nights while in port or I heard entirely in one case. Midnight buffets on a 7 night cruise are only offered 2-3 nights, you never saw pizza being served or deli sandwiches....perhaps society likes such things to eat on a cruise, as for me it has changed and cruise lines charge more money per person and most of that money goes to food, when in fact you are getting less and a lower quality of food. So to sum things up, this is why I do not dress in long gowns any longer. I am decent and wear black pants and a nice fancy blouse but never again would I wear a formal gown unless perhaps a more upscale cruise such as on Seaborne Cruises or similiar.

When we were on the Valor last December it was the week just prior to Christmas, and I would say that their was a pretty high percentage of passengers who dressed up pretty nicely for the formal nights. There were quite a few tuxedoes---my husband and son among them (it was our 16 year old son's idea to go with the tuxes--we made it easy on ourselves and rented them through Carnival...right down to the shoes....much easier than lugging every thing along if you don't mind spending the money). Sonny boy's twin sister wore mid-calf length dresses that she had found on sale at the Macy's clearance rack (didn't pay more than $25 for either one, I don't think). I had two diferent long black skirts (could have gotten by with one) and a couple of sparkly tops. We looked pretty spiffy, if I do say so myself. I saw a number of women in full-length formal gowns. Lots and lots of families took advantage of the photographers those nights, I assure you. It was great fun!

"Scout" aka Carol

Dayton, OH

• 2 weeks later...

"to each his own" I will still enjoy formal nights when I cruise and I know that whether or not you wear "formal" clothes, if you're there for the fun of the cruise, you'll enjoy it no matter what you wear or eat. Let's all just have fun!!!!!!! THAT'S the name of the game!!!(lol)

Formal night on Carnival is no longer the formal night of a couple of years ago. Last week on the Glory I did not see any any men in tuxedos, although I did see a few in military dress. There were some ladies in gowns. Most of the young female adults were very dressed up (looked like their prom dresses were getting a 2nd outing) and they looked lovely.

The rest of the passengers were dressed resort casual.

I think it may have something to do with the time of year you cruise. In past years we always sailed in the Fall, and most people dressed up. Perhaps the summer weather has something to do with how people plan their wardrobe.

I think Carnival may just be going with a "whatever you want" policy. On the capers on second formal night it stated: "smart polos accepted". Polos are casual regardless if they are a Walmart special or a Ralph Lauren.

Some day, cruising on some lines will be nothing more special than a week at the beach or mountains.

I don't think it will ever be like a week at the mountains, too much water!:D But I see nothing wrong with your statement, and have never found any cruise to be "special", whatever "special" means.

I have never understood the "fun" of dressing up, to us it isn't in the least bit fun. For the last 6 or so cruises we do not bring any formal wear whatsoever, in fact we seldom go to the dining room at all after looking over the menu during the day.

We go on them for the relaxation, hitting the various beaches and enjoying ourselves.

Cheers,

Peter

Well then on the Liberty those 10% of people sat all around me.

As we were leaving we stopped at the Matre de to make a comment that we were not happy with the dress code not being enforced at all.

Just curious serene, what did the Madre de say?

I have been meaning to get this off my chest since my glory cruise last month, the guys across from me wore flip flops. I don't understand where your mama told you it was ok to wear them to a nice restaurant, it's not like we are talking applebees here. Also one night he took them off, was seating bare footed, it was disgusting.

I love to dress up and I am planning on wearing a ball gown both nights and my husband will be in a tux. We know that we might be overdressed comparatively speaking, but who cares? A cruise is what you make it and we want to dress up!:D

• 1 month later...

You go, girl!!!! Everyone has the opportunity to do whatever makes them happy. I'm with you. My daughter who will be 21 on our cruise is looking forward, as am I, to dressing up on formal night. I think it is a nice change from the everyday routines. Have fun everyone, whatever your dinner choice is.

We have 27 cruises under our belt, some on other lines. We choose to dress up for the formal nights as my wife and I like having the pictures and we usually dress down after dinner to dockers and pants suit, but that is our option and we paid the same as everyone else. We wear formal clothes, Tux or dress kilt and formal gowns for DW and always make dinner in this attire on formal nights, but we prefer to dress down for the rest of the evening and since a lot of others do the same we don't feel we're less than anyone else. I don't pass judgement on others who might not dress for dinner. If the MD lets them in the dining room, then it OK. Its a vacation and not a beauty or fashion contest. I remember years ago we were not permitted in dining room without a tie for men and a jacket. Times and styles and tastes have changed. If what your neighbor wears is an issue, then go to a line such as Crystal, Seaboune or one of the high priced spreads that enforce dress codes more. Otherwise do as you feel comfortable as you sure won't offend me and DW as we'll enjoy ours and hope everyone else enjoys theirs. Just live and let live and don't be judgemental. After all some people save all the lives to do this just one time, so don't let the little things ruin a great vacation. If you don't like sitting next to the Beverly Hillbillies or the High Priced types just ask to be reseated somewhere else.

I spend most of my life wearing jeans and casual clothes. For me, a cruise is a chance to feel pretty and sexy. My husband and I still find that dressing up for each other gives the vacation that "special" feeling that sets it aside from everyday life. Personally, I could care less what everyone else wears. In MY OPINION (yes I made it capitals so everyone will realize that it is just MY opinion! :)), our whole society has lost that feeling of pride in appearance that was so prevalent 20 years ago. Celebrities seem to have started the "who really cares what I look like" attitude and it has filtered down to the general public. We have taken our kids (9 and 11) on three cruises, their third will be in November, and they don't even question the dressing up part. They dress nicer even on the non-formal nights than most of the kids do on formal nights. They don't look down their noses at others not dressed like them, they simply enjoy the feeling of looking their best and having pride in their efforts to look good. If others don't want to make that effort, that's fine with them (and us). We have never worried about what everyone else wears, we do what makes us happy, everyone else should do the same. The key is do what YOU want, not to worry about "fitting in".

I have been meaning to get this off my chest since my glory cruise last month, the guys across from me wore flip flops. I don't understand where your mama told you it was ok to wear them to a nice restaurant, it's not like we are talking applebees here. Also one night he took them off, was seating bare footed, it was disgusting.

I find it hard to believe that the most interesting thing to look at in the dining room were the feet of someone sitting at a different table. Must have been a bad batch of tablemates then. :D

Cheers,

Peter

I will be very upset if you are not dressed formal at an event that requested so. Like others are saying - eat at the buffet in your jeans! I do not get to experience dress code enforced fine dining as a working mom, also I am thrilled that my son (11yr) will be able to participate and practice proper table etiquette. Manners have become obsolete and that includes your attire. Please honor formal night with proper attire and manners! To arrive in jeans would be trailer/ghettofabulous! These are just my veiws on a clearly written dress code for a clearly written FORMAL DINNER! Chow

I will be very upset if you are not dressed formal at an event that requested so. Like others are saying - eat at the buffet in your jeans! I do not get to experience dress code enforced fine dining as a working mom, also I am thrilled that my son (11yr) will be able to participate and practice proper table etiquette. Manners have become obsolete and that includes your attire. Please honor formal night with proper attire and manners! To arrive in jeans would be trailer/ghettofabulous! These are just my veiws on a clearly written dress code for a clearly written FORMAL DINNER! Chow

Well, I would guess that you are going to be quite upset then. :D

Just as an aside though, you can experience dress code enforced dining at home, just don't let your children sit at the table until they put on their suits and ties before they dig into their meatlof. Also, table manners have nothing to do with attire, do not scratch your head with your fork, or blow your nose into the napkin and they'll be fine! :D

Cheers,

Peter

… Also, table manners have nothing to do with attire…Cheers,

Peter

You are correct, table manners have nothing to do with the way you dress. But the poster did not say table manners:

I agree that it exhibits poor manners to ignore recommended or required guidelines for attire when dining with others.

In other words, it is bad manners to dress casually while in the dining room on formal night(s). Flame away. :rolleyes:

Some day, cruising on some lines will be nothing more special than a week at the beach or mountains.

I'm imagining, with the size of ships growing ever-larger, that one day cruises will involve sea days only, the ships too large to dock, too large to allow time for tendering of all pax.

The mega ships will become the destination, much like an all-inclusive (almost;) ) resort that a person never leaves. I'm the opposite of excited about the new mega ships, I think they sound a bit boring. Cruising will become the shopping mall of vacations.

I do agree that people should respect the dress codes for evening dining in the diningroom. However if the MD lets those in who aren't following it, it should be no concern of those who do follow it. If you let it bother your cruise experience, you must be pretty shallow and superficial indeed.

I have a floor length black knit jersey dress that I wear for formal nights. I have several different tops to go with it, a glitzy jacket, a semi sheer long tunic, along with a few others. That gives me several different looks with minimal, easy packing. I picked up some black, mesh slip on wedgies that are very comfortable and a small dressy black purse. I have found this attire to be appropriate for the 3 cruise lines I have been on, Princess, RCI, and X. Having become a bit tired of black, I now have same dress in a beige/cream color with 2 jackets so far. Same type shoes and purse. It works for me!

I usually go with the girls but when hubby has gone with me he has worn a black suit with white shirt and a bow tie. Many thought it was a tux. We were both very appropriate for the formal nights.

A brochure in front of me states: On formal nights appropriate attire includes evening gowns and cocktail dresses for ladies and tuxes,, slacks with dinner jackets, or suits for men. This is on Princess but I have found the same on RCI and X as well. Can't speak for Carnival as have never cruised on that line.

I felt that was judgemental! I just like to follow the rules. Nothing superficial or shallow here. Just like to take off the frumpy monkey suit and enjoy a FORMAL - I repeat "Formal" night of fine dining. Why wouldn't a person who desires to "dine casual" do so where aproved? QUESTION- If someone is reading this that is planning to wear jeans to formal night (or has in the past) may I ask (without offending you) why would you do it (or did it)? why not casual dine elsewhere? Who knows....there just might be a good reason, but that doesn't make me shallow for expecting what's on the itinerary ;)

Archived