Glacier Bay vs Hubbard Glacier

a1moty

As glaciers go, Hubbard is one the biggest tidewater glaciers in the world and one of the most active. Glacier Bay is a national park with multiple tidewater glaciers, many of which are visible as you sail up the west arm.

I've been to both and both are outstanding. On a Hubbard trip, you might also cross the Gulf of Alaska to/from Seward or Whittier which gives you access to such areas as Prince William Sound, Kenai Fjords, the Kenai Peninsula, Anchorage, Denali, and Fairbanks.

You really can't go wrong on either one.

I have cruise to Glacier Bay 3 times and my first to Hubbard was two weeks ago, and for me there are two different points of view to consider :

Glacier Viewing and Calving : Hubbard by far.

Bay Scenic Cruising : Glacier Bay by Far.

So, if the itinerary has a lot of scenic cruising go to Hubbard, but if it has little scenic waterways and a lot of open seas, then go to Glacier Bay, is up to You, but do both if You have the opportunity and time.

As of my experience visiting Hubbard two weeks ago, the 2 hours We stay at the Glacier were the best moment of the cruise.

You could cruise around Glacier Bay for 10 years and not see the amount of calving we saw at Hubbard in a few hours 3 weeks ago. Not just little stuff, but massive walls of ice crashing down - absolutely outstanding! http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/4126.html is one of the hundreds of photos I shot that morning.

Murray

You could cruise around Glacier Bay for 10 years and not see the amount of calving we saw at Hubbard in a few hours 3 weeks ago. Not just little stuff, but massive walls of ice crashing down - absolutely outstanding! http://www.explorenorth.com/articles/alaskacruises2006/4126.html is one of the hundreds of photos I shot that morning.

Murray

I am so jealous! I would love to see that kind of calving. I saw very minimal in May at Glacier Bay. Does Hubbard always have this kind of major calving? If so, what would be the best month to sail in order to see it.

Hubbard is one of the most active glaciers you can visit. The only way in is on one of the cruise ships that include it in their itinerary unless you charter a smaller boat from Yakutat and/or fly over it.

Hubbard is well known for active advancing and retreating. A few years ago, the ice sealed off Russell Fjord, trapping many marine animals. There was great concern since their access to open ocean was cut off; fortunately, things changed and the animals were able to get out.

What I find most impressive about Hubbard is the sheer size of the face of the glacier - it's nearly 6 miles across. When it lets loose, it really roars. Add that to the 13,000 foot mountain range behind it and you have a natural wonder that is bound to impress.

For more information on Hubbard Glacier, go to the website for the Wrangell-St.Elias National Park: http://www.nps.gov/wrst/hubbardglacier.htm

This massive glacier begins in Canada (Yukon) and flows into Yakutat Bay. This is the biggest tidewater glacier in the state and that includes glaciers found in Glacier Bay, Prince William Sound, and Kenai Fjords.

FYI - on the way in, you will pass the Malaspina Glacier which just happens to be larger than the state of Rhode Island.

In no ways does this demean the beauty of Glacier Bay but Glacier Bay is much more accessible than Hubbard via air tours and small boat operators. Simply put, Hubbard is one of the special places in Alaska.

Yukon - do you know anything about the small boats in your picture? I was not aware that there were any day tours to Hubbard Glaicer.

Those were tenders from our ship. The crew drew names to see who got to go on them. It turned out to be quite a prize - many of us on board the Radiance were hugely jealous of their view!

Murray

Soymilkisgood---(interesting name--I am sure there is a story here)

Your photos are beautiful--thanks so much for sharing.

What time were you at Glacier Bay? They have a wonderful "calm", "peaceful" tone to them.

I am so glad you asked this question as I am considering finding an itinerary with Hubbard for our next trip....... Glacier Bay was so gorgeous and we were lucky enough to see calving - but sounds like Hubbard has even more calving....... (actually Tracy Arm was my very favorite spot!)

Here are pictures of our Glacier Bay day this past May 14, 2006:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2612686&alb=0

You may have to download a quick photodex viewer to be able to see the show.

almoty,

We were in Glacier Bay 6 AM to 3 PM. I don't have my digital with me now because I have the pictures time stamp on them.

I want to say that these pictures were taken 12PM to 3PM. I just couldn't believe the beauty in the glaciers.

SO BEAUTIFUL!! :D

I am so glad you asked this question as I am considering finding an itinerary with Hubbard for our next trip....... Glacier Bay was so gorgeous and we were lucky enough to see calving - but sounds like Hubbard has even more calving....... (actually Tracy Arm was my very favorite spot!)

Here are pictures of our Glacier Bay day this past May 14, 2006:

http://www.photodex.com/sharing/viewshow.html?fl=2612686&alb=0

You may have to download a quick photodex viewer to be able to see the show.

When I saw the large calving in pictures of Hubbard, I immediately started my search for an itinerary that included Hubbard. So far, I am able to find RCCL and HAL. Have done Tracy Arm (no calving), College Fjord (no calving) and Glacier Bay (very minimal calving). Good luck with your search.

Archived