Newbie Needs Help!! (It's Dawn Marie Again) - Pick a ship for us for THIS CHRISTMAS

Well, you guys just aren't going to believe this but, after booking our first cruises for 2007, of all people, my Mom said, why don't we try cruising this Christmas.:eek: ...and she's even willing to fly :eek: .... I'm beyond stunned but, I have no idea where to begin or how!

Help!! What would recommend for these newbies?!?! For those unfamiliar with my first cry for help, I'm Dawn Marie and I'm 40, mom is 69, my sister is 44 and her kids are 8 and 10. We'll be booking two cabins.

I've been researching all morning and I really would be interested in one of the cruises from Puerto Rico, and then my second choice would be a Western Caribbean cruise. And, not to worry about the flight costs, we know it's going to be higher than normal and willing to pay it.

I'm putting this decision in your hands because you have all had the experience, we haven't. And it DOESN'T have to be Royal Caribbean but, I came to you guys first since you've all been so kind to me already!

So.........HELP!! I'd really like to get this booked by tomorrow or Wednesday if possible.

Thanks so much!

Hey Dawn Marie,

Welcome back to the boards, that's wonderful that you want to try cruising this Christmas! As I learned the hard way, Christmas sailings fill up fast, so, you're right in trying to get it booked quickly. We've cruised many times but, this Christmas will be our first on a cruise. We will be on Serenade of the Seas.

We selected Serenade because it is port intensive and we have several first time cruisers traveling with us, now, I'm not saying this is the right itinerary for everyone but, if you're afraid you'll be bored...which by the way...you won't be... Pick a itinerary that has lots of stops.

On Serenade, on a 7 night cruise, we only have one day at sea. Here's the link if you'd like to take a peak: http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/cruiseDetails/itineraryAndPricing.do;jsessionid=0000CcfAQHtI8Gaf_wqWx2cJjyZ:10ktdmm42?packageCode=SR7SCSJI&sailDate=1061223&date=20064&selectedCurrencyCode=&promoType=

Keep in mind that Serenade will be smaller than Explorer which you have booked for 2007 but, that doesn't mean there will be less to do. It's just the ship is a bit smaller and carries fewer passengers. Another reason we booked Serenade is that we dock in all ports, there are some itineraries that require tenders (tendering is when they take the lifeboats down off the ship and use them to transport the passengers back and forth between the ship and the dock...sometimes the ships are just too large or the port too crowded and tendering is the only choice). And, since we're traveling with someone with mobility problems, tendering isn't a good solution for us, so that's why selecting an itinerary where the ship actually docks was important for this trip.

My first Caribbean cruise was on Carnival Destiny many years ago and, it hooked me big time. I love the Southern Caribbean route because you're guaranteed warm weather! Not that it won't be warm in the Western Caribbean but, the Southern is true swimming weather whereas the Western can be a bit cooler at times...not always ideal for swimming.

So, there is my opinion. Let me know us know which one you decide upon!

Nick

I think either the Serenade out of SJ, or the Radiance out of Ft. Lauderdale would be awesome. Personally, I am a big fan of the Radiance, and it is an 8-nighter, which is a bonus!

T

Since this will be your first cruise, there really is no "wrong" choice. I would really try to find a cruise that does not involve flying, as IMO there is no worse place to be during the holidays than an airport.

If not for your kids, I would recommend HAL's Noordam; it sails from NYC and is a beautiful ship with great itineraries. You might consider whatever NCL ship is in NYC this winter (as I think the Dawn is relocating). I am not a fan of fresstyle dining, but many people are and the ship is quite nice. If you choose to sail from PR, consider the Crown Princess. I have not sailed her yet, but Princess is an excellent line and the Crown is brand new and appears to be lovely.

Other than that, if you choose to fly, just keep in mind possible weather issues (so leave a day early), and be willing to part with your post cruise buzz quickly with possible airport drama.

I honestly do not think I would homeport in the winter. One of the reasons I love to cruise during the winter holidays is to get some warm sun....I cant do that leaving out of Baltimore - same way you cant do that leaving out of NYC. Trust me, I loved when I left out of Baltimore - I highly recommend this during the summer (it takes the same amount of time to get to the port as it does to get to the airport). Also, the seas have a potential to be rougher in the winter, especially on the Atlantic Ocean. Personally, as a first timer...I would take a 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami and fly in the day before.

I honestly do not think I would homeport in the winter. One of the reasons I love to cruise during the winter holidays is to get some warm sun....I cant do that leaving out of Baltimore - same way you cant do that leaving out of NYC. Trust me, I loved when I left out of Baltimore - I highly recommend this during the summer (it takes the same amount of time to get to the port as it does to get to the airport). Also, the seas have a potential to be rougher in the winter, especially on the Atlantic Ocean. Personally, as a first timer...I would take a 7 day cruise out of Fort Lauderdale or Miami and fly in the day before.

I can totally understand your POV. However, I've done 3 winter cruises from NYC, and yes, you lose the first and last day to outdoor activities, and sometimes a bit more. But these cruises are generally longer, so you still net the same # of warm sunny days. The key is picking the right ship. I would never do a winter cruise from NJ on a Voyager class ship, as there is no indoor pool. Competitors like the Noordam and the new NCL ship have great indoor pool facilities, which less then impact of the cold.

There's nothing to keep you from going on the EOS for Xmas and again in 2007. Or you can try either NCL Dawn or NCL Spirit or Hal Noordam all three leave out of NY. You get 10-13 day cruise for the same price you would pay for a 7 day cruise if you pay to fly and cruise. Plus you do not have the hassle of going thru security at the airport.

Archived