2 quick questions

Vicar

I have never been on a HAL cruise although after all the posts I have read from S7S, i just may be sailing on her Maasdam soon :)

Anyway, after reading many of the posts here I have seen a few references to The "YUM- YUM" man and rave reviews about the Volcano Cake.

Just curious Who is the "YUM-YUM" man, and what type of cake is a Volcano Cake

the yum-yum man is a steward that is standing outside the dining room , there is a small table there that has wonderful mint, whole peices of ginger and assorted hard candies to wet the palate after a wonderful meal in the dining roiom, he will also be the person who goes from deck to deck ringing (i think a xylophone)to inform guests dinner is nw being served, another nice grsture to enjoy. the favorite little treat of mine is the small peices of ginger I can hardly wait till september when i will be seeing my yum yum man on the statendam.

The "Yum Yum" man is the man who rings the chimes each night before dinner and at the end of the meal he stands at the end of the dining room and hands out the sweets. When we were on the Maasdam in 1999 the "Yum Yum" man wore a turban I think if my memory is correct and had a great personality.:)

Last year the "Yum Yum" man on the Noordam did not stand out and I really cannot recall him.

We often ate in the dining room on the Maasdam for breakfast and the "Yum Yum" man usually served us the pastries as well.

I can't help you with the Volcano Cake as it is very much an "American" dessert and I have never eaten it.

Jennie

The Volcano Cake is a chocolate cake that is served in the Pinnacle Grill.

I did not dine in the Pinnacle Grill so I have not had it. The chocolate flourless cake in the dining room is very good.

Enjoy the Maasdam....she is a lovely vessel. I just got off her last Saturday.

Marie

Hello Vicar,

A volcano cake is about the size of a large ramekin. It is chocolate cake with a gooy liquid center. You might think it is not baked all the way through, but it is suppose to be like that. And it is topped off with a good size dollop of orange flavored whipped cream. I have always enjoyed them, and I wish I could order it in the dining room.

Two other names I have heard it called,(but not on the ship) were molton cake and pudding cake.

Take care,

Pat.

Vicar....

Just over two weeks and I shall be aboard "MY Maasdam"....and I most assuredly will be chatting every evening with the darling Yum-Yum boy outside the dining room and will without question be feasting on a serving of Volcano Cake. The recipe for it has been posted on the old Board so anyone who wants it should try to find it before that Board vanishes into cyberspace.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

that does sound delicious

That you all for responding :)

S7S....

I was telling GF that I was kidding with you about stopping in port just to buy soap. And she said I should not tease you and that your DH and I should be happy that we have ladies in our lives who go to such extremes to look good for them.

*LOL* Ya know logic like that ALMOST justifies the price of the makeup *LOL*

Sounds like you have a very fine lady there, Mr. Vicar. She and I seem to speak the same language. :) The extremes we go to ........ ;)

DH and I will celebrate our 35th wedding anniversary in August. This will be the first anniversary in a very long time that we will not be aboard an HAL ship celebrating. Didn't plan all that well when we booked "MY Maasdam" for July instead of August.

Maybe I can talk him into going on another cruise in August??? Hmmmmmmmm....now that is something to think about.

I'd sure like to meet you and your lady on an HAL ship sometime soon.

S7S

well thank you, yes I am pretty lucky :)

Your DH is a lucky man too. Congratulations on your Anniversary :)

Wishing you many more happy years and many more cruises :)

If you want to book another cruise for August , just tell him that would make you happy and if you're happy...everyone is happy *LOL*

on the Zuiderdam our YumYum man liked our little daughter so much he would stop by our table each night to see if she needed anything and he would go get it for her. They generally have an upbeat personallity to fit their job of great service for everyone at the end of the meal.

The volcano is one of those extremely rich chocolate deserts that literally takes your breath away after a few bites. It's like chocolate heaven.

It's not really a Hersey's chocolate but has that type of smoothness to it.

They are small but I don't recommend asking for a second one, you might not go to sleep the rest of the week. I have read here of people who tried the volcano and didn't like it. I have no comment for such a person.

Oh Man

Where is that thread with the recipe? I have to go make a Volcano Cake ..

Better yet, I have to book a cruise , go to Pinnacle and have someone make it for me ...Yea yea thats the ticket *LOL*

Archived