How "safe" are the ship's hallways ??

konakraft

OK, so let me preface that we have NEVER cruised before, but have family that has (parents on Disney). My mother warned us over the holiday to not walk the passageways by ourselves, ever........:eek: because it's not safe.

OK, so how scared should I be about this statement?? We're aiming for a 12night SPIRIT from Hawaii, so we'd have 5 days at sea. I know for a fact that my DH and I will not be attached to one-another's hip....he'll probably want afternoon naps, and I'll most-likely either be in one of the pools, in the spa, or shopping. Would those walkie-talkie things work on the ship, or will our phones??

After eighteen cruises, I can honestly say I have never felt unsafe or in danger of any kind. Passageways are well lit and it seems most times there are stewards busy with their duties, and they will likely greet you.

The hallways are kind of narrow so if a steward has a cart watch out. Also durning the last night when all the luggage is put in the hall. Watch out for drunks walking unsteadly. There is a rumor that the hallways on the Riviera deck can get a little roudy. Kids sometimes run in the halls.

I wouldn't worry about it at all. Granted the halls are very long & can make you feel a bit isolated but I have never, ever felt unsafe. They make me realize how big the boat is:) Perhaps the great length of the hallway make her a bit uneasy (unless something specific happened that you didn't mention) and she thinks they aren't safe? I'm not sure but I wouldn't give it a second thought. I don't remember if there are handrails in the hall on the ships I have been on so if you're not steady on your feet this might be a concern, especially if the boat is rocky. One point though, I would not let a young child walk back to their room alone no matter where I was (ship or land) but not b/c of anting specific I've seen on a ship but just as a general principle.

Have a terrific trip:)

I have been on 18 cruises and I have never felt unsafe in the halls by myself, ever! Not that I spend alot of time in halls alone after hours but I have always felt safe. First of all, I feel sorry for the person that tries to mess with me bc I have been told since I was 5 that I have a big mouth! So Lord help the person that tries to grab me bc I think I might scare them! And I always try to be aware of my surroundings and people. All be on your toes and ready for anything.

But cruising is relatively safe, some ships have cameras in the hall for that very reason security. I have children that cruise with us atleast once a year and we have cruising rules. One of the rules are you are never to get of on a room floor that isn't ours and walk the length. They are to take the elevator all the way to our floor and then get off. And another good one is that no one is allowed in their room (they always have their own adjoined to ours) and they aren't to go in any one elses. Public visits only.

Just follow your safety rules on ship that you would at home on the street. And you will have a fabulous time!

Relax and breathe, your cruising safely!

Walking through the hallways on the ship is no different than walking through the hallways of a hotel. We've never felt unsafe.

Also, there is NO reason your hubby and you should be "attached at the hip" (we sooooo aren't when we cruise)!

The 2-way radios (walkie-talkies) work great. We loaned our to our friends who just got off the Glory and they said it was great to tell one another a certain time to turn on the radio to check in and decide when and where to meet up.

We own the Motorola Talk-About radios which are pretty inexpensive.

Have fun and don't worry, I'm sure you'll have a GREAT time!

I have been on several cruise and has never felt unsafe in any of the corridors. Of course you are always aware of the normal safety precautions and your surroundings as you would your everyday life no matter where you are.

I sailed on the Spirit and there are many cross hall openings so you can cut over to several of the elevator or stairs/

We had a great time on the spirit and my DH was definitely not glue to my hip. Walkie talkie helped just to find were he was relaxing when I wanted to find him. You will notice that you may have to find you own channel as there are several using the walkie takies. Oh yes, just a friendly reminder you both must have the walkie talkie turn on. Some how my DH walkie talkie was off more then on. Yet when he needed something it seem to be turn on Hmmmm..... don't forget to bring extra batteries.

Have a great cruise.

If you watch those "News" shows of course you would be scared. One of the cable channels recently did a "Travel Alert" type show that highlighted instances of people dissapearing and passengers being assaulted.

Those instances are extremly rare.

Like SilentBob said. Just Be Aware. But mostly, Enjoy your Cruise.

The halls are just like any other halls you will find in a hotel, there is nothing scary about them.

It's not the hallway itself that is scary, but who might be lurking about.

Most of the day people are around and about, however, sometimes at night it is a bit strange. I would be aware of corners and such.

OK, so let me preface that we have NEVER cruised before, but have family that has (parents on Disney). My mother warned us over the holiday to not walk the passageways by ourselves, ever........:eek: because it's not safe.

OK, so how scared should I be about this statement?? We're aiming for a 12night SPIRIT from Hawaii, so we'd have 5 days at sea. I know for a fact that my DH and I will not be attached to one-another's hip....he'll probably want afternoon naps, and I'll most-likely either be in one of the pools, in the spa, or shopping. Would those walkie-talkie things work on the ship, or will our phones??

Ok anything can happen at anytime. I go over the rules with my 3 kids before each cruise. One rule I have is that if they are walking alone and if someone is behind them is not to stop at the cabin door to walk around again so that they don't get pushed in and empty room. I tell them to try to stay in a group and remember not to trust anyone they meet. even if you make a friend remember they are still a stranger, and never go to anyone's cabin. Just think smart and you will have a great time.

If I understand this correctly, your mom cruised on Disney cruise lines yes? And your mom warns you not to walk the halls, yes?

You have 136 posts here and zero cruises, yes?

I get the feeling someone is pulling my leg. :eek:

If I understand this correctly, your mom cruised on Disney cruise lines yes? And your mom warns you not to walk the halls, yes?

I get the feeling someone is pulling my leg.

HUH ?? What....I can't post here without having cruised before.....:confused: Gee, that's a bit harsh.........:mad:

My parents are being just that, PARENTS. Yes, they do watch those network "NEWS" shows, and that's where I think alot of the precausion is coming from. They've cruise 6 times on Disney, and to them anything else is different......yes, my parents are Cruise Snobs....there, I said it :p

I just posted about this, mainly because my DH and I have NEVER cruised before. Yes, this cruise will be our first. I have no idea of how the ship is laid out or anything, that's why I posted.

Sorry my question offended you.....:o

Thanks to everyone else for being so nice and answering questions from this "cruise newbee" :D

HUH ?? What....I can't post here without having cruised before.....:confused: Gee, that's a bit harsh.........:mad:

My parents are being just that, PARENTS. Yes, they do watch those network "NEWS" shows, and that's where I think alot of the precausion is coming from. They've cruise 6 times on Disney, and to them anything else is different......yes, my parents are Cruise Snobs....there, I said it :p

I just posted about this, mainly because my DH and I have NEVER cruised before. Yes, this cruise will be our first. I have no idea of how the ship is laid out or anything, that's why I posted.

Sorry my question offended you.....:o

Thanks to everyone else for being so nice and answering questions from this "cruise newbee" :D

Now I'm sure someone's pulling my leg!

I get the feeling someone is pulling my leg. :eek:

I do believe yst347 is on the case Could there be a twist to the plot here???

Now I'm sure someone's pulling my leg!

Just what is it that you're trying to infer? That my parents are hypocondriacs? That I have not right to ask this question??

I do believe yst347 is on the case Could there be a twist to the plot here???

What's with the "plot" here..... ???? Some people really make it difficult to participate on this board......

Just what is it that you're trying to infer? That my parents are hypocondriacs? That I have not right to ask this question??

I'm trying to infer that if the halls were unsafe someone would have mentioned it by now.

"don't even think about going to dinner...the halls are too dangerous"

Konakraft...take some of the comments with a grain of salt.

As far as your mom's comments, I agree with most of the other posters--I've never felt the least bit unsafe in the hallways. We, too, have the rule for our youngest DD that she is never to be anywhere on the ship without either me, her dad, or her older sister. That's just commons sense--same rule in the mall, a hotel, any store, etc.

Have a great first cruise!!

Jayne

:D

:mad:

I'm trying to infer that if the halls were unsafe someone would have mentioned it by now.

"don't even think about going to dinner...the halls are too dangerous"

I guess it's just the way that you posted your comments.....a bit too "in your face" and "don't ask dumb questions.." I guess the other people who responded a bit nicer had enough time on their hands to answer an honest question for someone who's never been on a cruise ship......

Sorry I troubled you to even respond. :mad:

Archived