Shore excursion timing?

redhead68

If my ship's itinerary says we're arriving in Nassau at 10a.m., does that literally mean that the boat pulls up at 10? The majority of the shore excursions offered through Carnival start at 10:30, so I was wondering if I would make it on time. How long does it generally take to get off the boat?

This is the advantage of booking shore excursions through the cruise line. As long as you get off the ship when the announcement is made and meet at the designated area for your tour you will be fine.

Keith

If we wanted to book an excursion on our own, is there a good general timeframe we should use? Of course ships get delayed, customs etc can hold things up, but just something general to go by? I'm sure the tender thing makes a big difference... should I plan on an hour cushion? Two? We're at a loss. :(

NCL Sun, 10/15, with stops in Costa Maya, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Belize City, and Cozumel... if this influences anything.

Thanks!

My experience is that ships mostly pull into port earlier than the time stated in their itinerary. (They do not leave earlier than the stated time though unless there is some overwhelming mitigating factor.)

There is some delay after they dock, however for port formalities and paper work. Excursions that you have booked through your cruiseline will not leave without you in most cases.

Usually if we are going off the ship, whether it's on a private excursion or just to poke around, I make sure there is at least a two hour cushion between when they are due back and the ship sails. The ship will not wait for you unless you are on a cruiseline's excursion and the unexpected can always happen. This is why we usually end up paying the higher rates and going the the ship's excursion instead of trying to book something oursevles. It's more expensive, but worth it (to me) for the peace of mind and the safety issue. These tour operators have to pass the cruiseline's muster and they are very thoroughly checked out before and during their time with the cruiseline. We have a saying in Journalism, 'When in doubt, leave it out.' If we have any questions regarding an excursion, ship or otherwise, we make other arrangements. Be careful, be attentive and be travel savvy and you will be fine.

Charlie

If we wanted to book an excursion on our own, is there a good general timeframe we should use? Of course ships get delayed, customs etc can hold things up, but just something general to go by? I'm sure the tender thing makes a big difference... should I plan on an hour cushion? Two? We're at a loss. :(

NCL Sun, 10/15, with stops in Costa Maya, Santo Tomas de Castilla, Belize City, and Cozumel... if this influences anything.

Thanks!

When booking excursions on your own, one thing to think about is whether it is a tender or a docking port. I know Costa Maya is a docking port, but Cozumel and Belize are tender ports. On most cruise lines, in tender ports, the cruise ship excursions get priority for the tenders before those without cruise ship excursions. So when planning your private excursion, say the ship docks at 7:30, an 8am private excursion that met on the docks would not be out of the question. But if the ship was tendering, you need to leave at least an hour if not more (depending on the size of your ship) to get off the ship. For example, I know the ship is pretty far out from shore and it takes a good amount of time to tender from ship to shore.

thank you all, and especially wrp96 for such a port specific explaination! Perhaps Costa Maya will be the only port at which we will feel confident enough to play it by ear...

Spikesgirl, you bring up a great point about the security of booking with the cruiseline directly. I think I would lose my mind if we got left behind...

Archived